Sign in to follow this  
Nikko85

A CW01 Christmas

Both my wife and parents wanted to know what I wanted for my upcoming birthday. I always struggle to think of anything, so this year I've asked for a combined birthday/Christmas present of the mighty lunchbox!

I will feel like a kid again opening up a box of goodies to build on the kitchen table, I can't wait. Whilst I am asking for the chassis, I am aware I'm going to need some upgrades. My plan for this build is to make the CW01 work nicely, but without investing too much money - it's more an engineering project or something that will slowly evolve, nothing too expensive or blingy for me.

I plan to 3D print some L arms, and explore using metal rod inserted into print for greater strength to allow for double wishbone IFS. I am also interested in some sort of rear end mod, I like @Saito2's fifth shock mod, or perhaps @nowinaminute 's four link - now I have a 3D printer but I may just go with the simple brace. I will also look at a chassis brace, and 3D print (or buy alloy) body mounts. 

I'll probably get oil shocks - can anyone suggest a good option please? I've heard 75 mm in front and 85 mm in rear, are the Fastrax ones any good please?

The stock wheelie bar looks terrible, and my brother's broke quickly - are there any good upgrades please?

I take it the pinion you use is just the pinion you get? I'll probably run Torque Tuned  (or 21T at most)  in this, so not expecting to put it under too much pressure. 

Also the body - 100% not going box art, but something different. Perhaps blockhead - or something else? Has anyone seen any good options? What would pass @kontemax's eye? : )

I've flip flopped on this vs a CC01, but given the CC01 wasn't give the greatest reviews I think the LB might be cheaper, simpler and just more darn fun. It's joining a bunch of other stupid trucks (FJ40 GF01, MF01x  Pumpkin, MF01x Jurassic Park, QD FJ40) so it should fit right in! 

• Like 6

Congrats on your upcoming Lunch Box! Its good to keep things semi-simple because that's what the Lunchie is all about- simple fun.

Another option for a better IFS suspension is the old CRP FX10 front end kits that still sell on fleabay I think. The kit needs some mods to fit the LB but it can be done and a google search or search on here should give you an idea. Its probably stronger than 3D printed parts but if you're interested in experimenting, give 3D a try. All part of the fun.

I've done everything to the rear of the LB shy of going IRS (I've been tempted but it removes too much of the character for me). Along with the 5th shock mod that's been popular in the past, I've tried a 4 link with the rear gearbox flipped around:

DSCN0415

Currently, I run collapsible control link made out of an old Grasshopper shock. Its operation it very similar to the fishing string mod that's been tossed about. The control link allows motion in all directions except allowing the gearbox to roll up in its slots under acceleration:

20200619_155316

Sorry I can't advise on Fastrax shocks as I have no experience. Its usually shock pogo springs or CVAs for me. I've seen plenty of clever wheelie bar mods on here over the years. 

A Torque Tuned motor sounds great. The stock pinion is extra long brass and will work fine. By pulling off the motor adapter, you can run an 18T pinion like the Hornet but that's on the high side.

One other suggestion I would make is aluminum body mounts.

I did do one of alternate boxart versions once:

Have fun!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Both my wife and parents wanted to know what I wanted for my upcoming birthday. I always struggle to think of anything, so this year I've asked for a combined birthday/Christmas present of the mighty lunchbox!...

Nice! I got one from my wife for my Birthday but it still hasn't been touched. Maybe I will get some time over Christmas.

I actually purchased a spare body kit yesterday as I want to create the standard Yellow box art version as well as something more custom with the black edition my wife got me. I'm also planning a slightly scaled down version with one of the Tandy Mad Van shells I have spare.

I have oil shocks that I think fit and a new wheelie bar ready to go and I got a 3D printed Ampro brace for a couple of $.

@lsear2905gave me some good guidance on fitting other DIY braces to stiffen it all up a little and a good body mount mod. 

• Like 1

Thanks all - it's certainly a cool project. At the moment I'm exploring home brew arms on the 3D design software. 

image.thumb.png.bfa2883b473f92c395b0cad6a48fce7d.png

@nowinaminute I think these might be similar to the designs you used, but I've changed it around. Far thicker with rounded insides and a space for the original LB shock bracket. I don't suppose yours is still going? It can be made really chunky so I am hopefully it will work.

18 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Currently, I run collapsible control link made out of an old Grasshopper shock. Its operation it very similar to the fishing string mod that's been tossed about. The control link allows motion in all directions except allowing the gearbox to roll up in its slots under acceleration:

That fifth shock looks good, I'd like to run something similar. I've got some old friction dampeners I could explore some options with. I'm still looking for slightly quirky handling, I just like the idea of it being a little less noisy and more consistent. 

4 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

That fifth shock looks good, I'd like to run something similar. I've got some old friction dampeners I could explore some options with. I'm still looking for slightly quirky handling, I just like the idea of it being a little less noisy and more consistent. 

Hi @Nikko85 - firstly congrats on your latest toy, I love the Lunchbox.

As per @GeeWings comment, I've invited you into our "conversation" in messages, I'm not sure how it works but you should be able to see the photos and 3D files for your reference.

Good luck!

(Also, I've often thought of doing alternate bodies, neither of which have been done before, but then I'd end up buying more chassis just to display them, which seems a touch wasteful!)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Hi @Nikko85 - firstly congrats on your latest toy, I love the Lunchbox.

As per @GeeWings comment, I've invited you into our "conversation" in messages, I'm not sure how it works but you should be able to see the photos and 3D files for your reference.

Good luck!

(Also, I've often thought of doing alternate bodies, neither of which have been done before, but then I'd end up buying more chassis just to display them, which seems a touch wasteful!)

That’s where I’ve ended up. I’ve actually just been thinking recently of a good way to display shelves or if it’s worth creating some ‘dummy’ chassis’.

• Like 1

Many thanks, @lsear2905 thanks for the messages. I think I've decided the direction I'll go down for this, and that is upgraded, but using 3D prints or free upgrades. I can't see the point of dropping big cash into the LB - it's about silly fun, right?

I've got a Hobby wing 1060 and 15 kg servo going spare. Planning to use a NiMH pack for this and a spare Torque Tuned, so I've got all the other bits. If I have the right bearings then cost to be should be zero (or perhaps the cost of some studding)

Mods will be:

• Rear axle brace or 5th shock. I'll print a the axle brace first and see how that goes, before trying anything new
  • Centring the servo, this looks possible, perhaps with a mount?
  • Double wishbone front arms - these look printable in ABS+ 
  • Chassis brace - either 3D printed of using ball connectors and studding
  • Upgraded wheelie bar - not sure how yet. I quite like the idea of using the original with with a strut brace from the gearbox and a two larger tires on the outside of the bracket - giving a little more stability
  • Bearings, having last done the GF01 it's great to have a car which uses so few, I might even have enough of these in my collection.

Super excited for this. Hopefully it'll arrive for Christmas, as I've a good stretch of leave to use up between Christmas and new year - but want to  complete a few existing projects first. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 4:11 AM, GeeWings said:

Nice! I got one from my wife for my Birthday but it still hasn't been touched. Maybe I will get some time over Christmas.

Excellent, perhaps the Christmas Lunchbox will be the new budget rally! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Great choice and a whole lot of fun too!

Thanks - looking forward to it a lot. It's a whole new chassis for me to play with.

I printed the first of the arms. I took a design that is thingverse and used the basic idea for my own with some improvements.

OerCYt1.jpg

These are much thicker, there is a radius on all inside corners and designed to use the CW01 metal suspension bracket. Printed in ABS+ they seem pretty strong. I can bend them (just) but I couldn't snap them if I really tried. Probably not as flexible as I'd like, but I think I will have to sacrificed flexibility for strength here.

Just a rough print for now, can neaten up if needed.

I've seen UK monsters sell a set for £55, which is probably good value for what you get, but I'd be spending 50% of the value of the kit on arms, so a DIY method is much more effective for a cheap runner. Still, I'd be surprised if they snap easily - but redesigning to add more strength won't be an issue if that is needed. I don't abuse my vehicles too much.

My design will use the Tamiya screw pins to connect. They screw into the ABS fine. I may find a more elegant solution or if they start backing out.

A few more items ordered. I am (hopefully) getting the truck on Boxing day, and very much want to start it the day after, so I'm collecting all the bits. 

I've ordered white Montero wheels and Kobra Lake spray paint, which is a nice  green/blue colour. I'm going to add beige for a two tone theme for maximum impact with small cost (I already have the beige!). Perhaps a few custom decals made by cutting vinyl. I think this will be a race truck.

All parts 3D printed, so now it's just that long wait till Christmas.

Well it arrived! one shiny Lunchbox from my parents for Christmas (and also by Birthday). It was funny being around nephews and nieces, and me as a 37 year old getting a shiny toy monster truck.

Let's all appreciate the amazing box art. The stance is just brilliant with wheels bouncing in all directions. 

kJXavIP.jpg

opening the box the presentation is fantastic, neatly packaged. The body does seem very small, but we'll come back to that later.

R6lKp8u.jpg

Included in the kit was a TBLE-04s which is nice (I wasn't sure what one I would get, or if it came with one at all).

Will be needing this. Having not had a new kit for a while I've not seen Tamiya instructions for a year or so! Usually my work has been custom made on chassis I know quite well, so it's odd to be following instructions again. Following instructions has never been my best skill, so we'll see how it goes.

nEgc1vM.jpg

First step is the charge the battery, already done. The battery was my Christmas present from my wife. The beer was from the shop.

e4gNsqP.jpg

The second step is adding the body mounts. This will be the first of the 3D printed hop ups, as I've heard the originals are terrible. Printed in ABS these should be pretty tough. The front body mounts also acts as a brace, going across the chassis. It really does make it feel stronger.

9ZQvsJH.jpg

fa0hZHl.jpg

They are bolted together as my 3D printer does not have a large enough print bed for the 150 mm width, so they were made in two halves.

7jMSlFz.jpg

Servo gets slotted in, then it's time for the gearbox.  I've never owned a Tamiya with this gearbox, the open differential seems odd to me. There seems to be quite a lot of lateral play in the axles - is this an issue? 

GUE65gk.jpg

That was all I had time for last night, will get on with more today.....

• Like 1

Good taste in beer as well as RC ;) 

Mine is still sitting in the box untouched. Was hoping to get some time over Xmas but my wife’s treatment has hit harder than we thought so too much going on.

I will keep an eye on your build though so please keep pics coming!

• Like 1

Gearbox bolted up. The second 3D printed mod was this

lM22A92.jpg

It's a transmission brace. It creates a pivot point for rear gearbox so it doesn't slap up and down. It can roll from side to side still, so there is no articulation loss, it's very simple to install, needed just two small screws into the battery cover. The piece slots right in, so no measuring needed.

i0oHKpq.jpg

The suspension now pivots in the middle.

NN2TYka.jpg

With that done I move to the front. This is the most modded part of the build. First you install this little piece

9pXFhrm.jpg

These will be the mounts for the new upper arms - yes, this lunchbox is getting double wishbone suspension! That's all for today.

Overall I can see how this will be a nice runner....... but I must say I'm a little surprised at how small the body is. I bought this so it could match my 1/12 models, like the FJ40 on the QD here or the Jeep or Pumpkin.

But you can see the scales are completely off, with the van being much smaller than it should be at 1/12.

oOJLrLI.jpg

I know this might not bother most people, but it does kinda bother me. Th. The Pumpkin is about the right scale (at least in terms of width) but the Lunchbox just feels far too small. For some reason as they were on the same chassis I just assumed they'd both be a similar scale! 

15 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Good taste in beer as well as RC ;) 

Mine is still sitting in the box untouched. Was hoping to get some time over Xmas but my wife’s treatment has hit harder than we thought so too much going on.

I will keep an eye on your build though so please keep pics coming!

Many thanks, and hope the family are as good as can be.

Here are the arms. I used a design I found online, but then remade. These are thicker, with less cut away, rounded internal angles to reduce stress, and I utilise the CW01 U bracked to attach the suspension. Below is one arm - this is the side that was on the print bed. Overall they printed fine, although the bottom of rounded parts always look a little crap, that won't really be visible in use. 

M9FhP3H.jpg

The nice thing about ABS is that is paints really easily. I painted them gloss black. I installed them on the chassis. This time round I used the ball connectors on the end of the upper links, much more solid.

75zjN1l.jpg

c3iFVNi.jpg

The c hub and knuckle are connected with these screws. They are the shafts from the friction dampeners on the GF01 that I had spare. I had to cut down the threaded end a little, but they fit perfectly and allow really smooth motion.

ousJje0.jpg

This is an earlier design, but shows how they attach

TfjGvtB.jpg

Z9cNYRx.jpg

The result is a really solid suspension. I'm confident that the thick plastic will hold up to mild use too.

With double wishbones the camber is a) adjustable and b) doesn't change as the arms move meaning it's the same here

3RaO5ls.jpg

as it is here...

WfKO291.jpg

Which is a plus!

As for the body, I'm afraid I can't get over the size of the Lunchbox, so I think I'll do a switch around - putting the Pumpkin shell from the MF01x on this and then using that chassis for something else.

• Like 1

I've not put a body on, but given the chassis a short spin. With the new arms it feels incredibly solid. Steering actually works (still not an amazing turning circle, but fine for my needs) and is pretty even right and left. Not perfect, but far from terrible. 

Compared to say the GF01 I can really see how this is a much more basic older design, but these new upgrades give a real improvement.  Thoughts are:

• The chassis brace is simply genius - it's so simple to install and keeping full articulation is great. Much quieter now and I am looking to design one for my QD monster trucks and buggies.
  • Gearbox is great - much quieter than I thought it would be a feels well made. I still find the floating diff odd, but it seems to work. The Torque Tuned motor is a nice addition, just gives a little more push than the stock silver can.
  • The front suspension works really well - and feels super solid. The arms are 5.5 mm thick so are solid as heck - and there is very little play. I probably could redesign them just  touch but I'll see how these get on. It's nice to know if they do break I can print some more.

Got a little more done today, in fact it's almost finished and ready to take for a drive. 

In the end I decided to go with the  Pumpkin body. As I bought the Lunchbox set I didn't have the correct body mounts, so I printed some at work. I found a few designs online, none of them quite perfect, and when I mounted the Pumpkin the front seem to be angled down quite a lot. This might be as a) my front is lower with the arms I've printed b) that's just what it looks like or c) the mounts weren't quite accurate (there was a lot of variation in heights between different designs) but I wasn't a fan of the slanted look.

I remembered that I had some spare body post extensions. If figured if I could use these I'd have much greater flexibility in height, as well something that would be much much harder to break than the stock mounts.

I printed the base using the designs I found as a template. Instead of a large post these just have a 5.5mm stud sticking out with a 1.5 mm hole to take the pin. The hole is drilled at 90 degrees in the front mount compared to the rear.

These are pretty quick to print.

image.thumb.png.2d6d965438ae46ff855f7bd477c5f479.png

This first print had a design flaw, they were printed horizontally, with the mount lying flat. This meant the 5.5 nub at the end just snapped off. 3D prints are quite weak across layers, a little like slate. I snapped a couple, so printed at 90 degrees like the above picture, and they are much stronger.

Attached the mounts, very snug fit and pretty solid.

ExMqlfR.jpg

For the front I swapped out the machine screw for a 5 mm ball connector.

uOjFShg.jpg

To add a brace across the front. This considerable stiffens the front.

6ppW5bf.jpg

With the new mounts I can get the back slightly lower and raise the front, meaning I can then have a nice level Pumpkin.

D0Pv0xb.jpg

It's nice to have some control over the height if the truck!

• Like 4

Had a look at the rear end. Never really liked the tiny wheelie bar wheel on the Pumpkin, my brother ran his on concrete a lot and the thing wore to nothing. So I did some cheap upgrades! GF01 wheelie bar wheels and a support brace. I had to alter the gearbox by drilling through the screw hole, so I could get a ball nut on the other side. The brace is a 3 mm stainless rod with a small bend to allow to line up straight with the wheelie bar.

Wheels are yellow, but I think I'll swap to black. I may 3D print some wheels that can take a bearing, but that's probably overkill! 

GT7hJXQ.jpg

l2oPm6X.jpg

• Like 1