Sign in to follow this  
smirk-racing

Looking for ideas: delightful features for an 8 yr old boy

Happy Holidays everyone!

I'm planning a build for a youngster in the family (age 8). He isn't old enough to care about the sheer driving performance of an RC, and of course he has no appreciation for vehicles based on nostalgia like so many of us, but he adores "special features" that he can activate using the transmitter.

So far, I have one vehicle which has a number of triggerable lights, and he absolutely loves flicking the lights on and off using a switch on the radio.

I am looking for TC's creativity in coming up with more things I can add to a standard RC which will be delightful and charming for kids.

Some ideas I'm considering:

-driver figure head that rotates along with steering (wouldn't require additional channel - would just follow steering)

-smoke machine which he can toggle on and off

-door that opens and closes

-ability to play a sound (siren, or vehicle appropriate noises)

-lights that can turn on and off (already have this - this is pretty easy)

I am thinking of bringing all this together under a Police theme...

I'd be keen to hear your creative ideas on functional or mechanical features that would be delightful for a small boy.

If you have pics of things that fit with this (i.e. a 'function') or just cool design ideas that kids would like, I'd love to see them!

Thanks!!

• Like 1

If it is a 4x4 Police vehicle, how about a winch? Some have remote controls so you don't need to fix them to a tx / Rx 

Water pistol. Nuff said.

I was looking at mini pumps for a while with this in mind,, but if it's a police vehicle, you might as well go straight for the hollow points and forget water. 

• Haha 1

Smoke machine.

Oops, you got that already,.

Self righting action but activated by a lever rather than furious anger like the traxxas self righting system.

37 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Water pistol. Nuff said.

I was looking at mini pumps for a while with this in mind,, but if it's a police vehicle, you might as well go straight for the hollow points and forget water. 

If anyone else suggested a water gun, I'd have been skeptical, but I've seen your builds, so I bet you could rig one up! I was thinking about a nerf gun... Pretty bulky though. I'm not seeing compact solutions.

34 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Smoke machine.

Oops, you got that already,.

Self righting action but activated by a lever rather than furious anger like the traxxas self righting system.

This will be a medium speed rig with very soft/gentle turning action. I'm sure he'll figure out a way to flip it over but that should not have very frequently. Yeah, I appreciate a lot of Traxxas features (their latest mini crawler is quite good) but the self-righting via anger (awesome description!) is not my favorite. I'll just do the walk of shame.

• Like 1

Something like this is supposed to pump 2-3 ltrs a minute?? . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374058897664?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=l1k3hwrlqyo&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=AmMhQ-pWTKq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Don't know how much "punch" it would have for a pistol set up though?. 

And these guys to operate it. They even have their own hose.. if you're gonna do police, you'll have to do fire.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385251224173?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=tcnezrfvSQW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=AmMhQ-pWTKq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

I was thinking about a nerf gun... Pretty bulky though. I'm not seeing compact solutions.

BB gun from a RC tank. 

It makes sense for a lunchbox to be accompanied by a midnight dunkin. 

As well as the cargo drop,  ( banana skins spring to mind), you should be able to launch mini projectiles (mushrooms, banana skins, etc,) forwards by way of a mini trebuchet which can be reloaded with the winch..

Edit to add, it's getting late, or early in the U.K. 

Wolfdogstinkus steps away from the keyboard before re-inventing the radio controlled time machine that he invented next week.

I made a heavy dump that has a working bed that can go up and down. I'm more than happy to try and 3D print the part you'd need (it's very basic) or share designs. 

You could also put a flashing light on it - again triggerable by the radio. 

The GF01 is a great truck for kids, it's pretty robust, not too fast and can go anywhere. And it can pull wheelies. 

• Like 1

Great suggestion. I do have a 3d printer and I’d love to try this out. If you have design files you are willing to share please do! 

thanks - awesome mod that you created!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

Great suggestion. I do have a 3d printer and I’d love to try this out. If you have design files you are willing to share please do! 

No problem. I cut mine out of acrylic by hand but I can certainly measure and input that into software, might take a few days as the truck is the the attic (it's waiting for my 8 month old to get old enough to play with it). It's a pretty simple bolt on mod, you just need a drill, a spare servo and servo arm. I made this before I had a 3D printer, so I might be able to improve my design.

I use a 15 kg servo, which is probably overkill.

Some great ideas so far!

For the smoke machine, you might want to look at the gubbins from one of the many tiny USB-powered ultrasonic humidifier things available online. Cleaner and safer than the usual vape-based ones, and easier to refill as they just need water rather than oil. Very compact too.

The Nerf "Jolt" is a very compact single shot pistol that lends itself well to mounting in a model. Manual loading and cocking would be required, but firing is easily done via remote control.

You may also want to fit a miniature Wifi "spy" camera to the model so that he can see where he is going by looking at the feed on a phone or tablet. The range isn't great but they are usually a lot cheaper than a full FPV setup. You may even align this with the Nerf gun for remote targeting.

• Thanks 1

A fart horn?. It's a normal horn, that sounds like a fart, surely to amuse any man from 5-99 years old.

Edit to add, with dropping stink bombs to really make some unsuspecting couples uncomfortable 

• Haha 2

On 11/26/2022 at 7:53 AM, TurnipJF said:

Some great ideas so far!

For the smoke machine, you might want to look at the gubbins from one of the many tiny USB-powered ultrasonic humidifier things available online. Cleaner and safer than the usual vape-based ones, and easier to refill as they just need water rather than oil. Very compact too.

The Nerf "Jolt" is a very compact single shot pistol that lends itself well to mounting in a model. Manual loading and cocking would be required, but firing is easily done via remote control.

You may also want to fit a miniature Wifi "spy" camera to the model so that he can see where he is going by looking at the feed on a phone or tablet. The range isn't great but they are usually a lot cheaper than a full FPV setup. You may even align this with the Nerf gun for remote targeting.

Awesome ideas. Much appreciated.

I have a confession... although I do love Tamiya, and although this is the Tamiya Club forum, the actual vehicle for this build is.... the Arrma Fireteam. The child in question already has a G6-01 (King Yellow trim, but with portals - he calls it BusUnstoppable), a Gf-01 Dump Truck, modded GF-01 with Kumamon Bear, and various other Tamiya vehicles.

The Arrma Fireteam was incredibly cheap over Thanksgiving, so I'm going to gear it down and run it on 2s (aiming for 15 mph tops). Stylistically, though, I want to remove all the Arrma madness and re-make it in the spirit of a Tamiya vehicle (properly fun and quirky).

So, if seeing this behemoth of a vehicle (14 lbs in weight, almost 2 feet in length) inspires any further ideas, please keep sharing!

335285440_ScreenShot2022-11-30at9_32_28PM.thumb.png.57db1e01d0e32b7760ed266848829c52.png

Since you have a printer id think it should be relativlely easy to make some sorta launcher with a hopper mag.

Lowest position being the "chamber" and have a servo pulling back a spring loaded plunger that hits/fires whatever projectile, ping pong balls maybe? Safe, cheap, reusable and not small enough to loose everywhere.

I was also going to suggest both smoke and a dropper mechanism ad others have already done.

Very cool ideas :) A few more:

• "Turbo" button. You press it, wing pops out and throttle EPA is set to 100% (with Turbo off was 50%). Add turbine sounds for extra cool factor. No idea how to link all that functionality together though.
  • Similar to the Nerf gun ideas, but instead of launching a foam projectile, it launches a ragdoll driver from his seat. If you have played the Flatout videogames, you may know how insanely fun this can be (shoot the driver through the hoop!).
  • Similar to the above, ejection seat to launch driver up in the air, with parachute.
  • Shaker/vibration. Use a motor with an offset weight to make the car shake. Ideally also adding engine sounds.
  • Sparks. Have a little flintstone under the car pop-out & retract with a button. When out, it would rub against the ground and create a spark show. Would probably only work on concrete.

Sounds! Not engine sound. But music sound. There are many small bluetooth speakers now that can fit inside and playback via bluetooth 5.0 or 5.1 which can reach up to 20 meters of no thick solid obstruction like think concrete walls.

4f860e1abb66e724d15ba031d640946a.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAXGcwAAKBWt7IgZPm1D68lXzfOu9zaXectVHsQeAS7Kf_Ru_NAcIqRswWB5OCy6pniAM&usqp=CAU

I think it would be cool. Which by the way makes me want to put in my crawler. B)

If you were going down the rescue services route as you mention the police, a variant would be the fire brigade. That ties in with the squirt gun/water canon that are on some fire trucks. You could also add a ladder to the roof which could extend and retract via the transmitter. For style points flip a switch to then use the transmitter controls to rotate and extend/retract the ladder to aim it at a window to rescue people. You could even add large extending support legs like you get on some heavy vehicles (cranes?) to hold them stable when stationary. The sort that extend by remote control e.g. https://www.dreamstime.com/hydraulic-foot-crane-extended-side-truck-outrigger-stabilizer-support-to-mobile-telescopic-close-up-image163771924

You could add a digger arm to front or back.

A tow truck rig to toe away naughty parked RC cars that dad left on a double yellow :) The automated sort I have seen in the US where the truck backs up to the vehicle and then arms automatically slide under the car behind and lift its front end.

(see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WkIi_XF8KE about 3:30 in)

On 11/26/2022 at 9:14 AM, smirk-racing said:

Great, as you've already got a dump this could be a very cheap add on, really just need a drill and an extra servo, plus a few little spares you'll probably have.

@smirk-racing I've think I've made a 3D printable version of the servo mount for the bed tipper.

image.thumb.png.c24566b2c6c0ed176336858c41e9f6a9.png

I am going to print out today and test, then I can share the design if you are interested. It does of course need a 3 channel remote.

Edit:  tested, it works well. If anyone wants a version I'll share.