Sign in to follow this  
bearded.bandit

It's been a while...TA08 Pro

Hey guys, as the title says, it's been a while since i've done anything with an on-road chassis. I've been into the scale crawling lately! However, I recently picked up a TA08 Pro and I'm looking for some advice. I'd really like to run an Axon spur with this build, no special reason, I just love the way they look. I noticed the kit spur gear is a 77T, but I don't see a similar Axon spur available. Any other recommendations for spur and pinion combination? I don't know much about gearing! I plan on running a HW JustStock with this, haven't decided on the 17.5T or 13.5T yet. 

IMG_1407.JPG

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum. 

It would be worth checking out RCTech as well as they have an active(ish) TA08 thread going on and people there are racing these so have some good insights. I'm still running my TA07 and won't be changing anytime soon. In particular check out the rear chassis brace, many people are breaking chassis (at least there are a lot of pictures of broken chassis) so the brace should fix that.

I can help with gearing though. Are you familar with working out the final drive ratio or FDR? Its straightforward, its just

spur size / pinion size x internal ratio (or IR)

The IR of the TA08 is 1.85. So for example a 71T spur and 25T pinion would be 71/25  = 2.84, then 2.84 × 1.85 = 5.254

Sorry if you know all that, just trying to make it all clear in case you don't.  The same calcs obviously apply to offroad as well, but wheel size matters too...so an offroad buggy needs a higher FDR for the same motor.

I run an FDR of 3.44 with a 21.5T motor in mine (blinky mode, so no turbo or boost from the ESC) which is 64T spur, 40T pinion and 2.15IR. I change depending on track layout.

So choose your motor, with the Justock ESC you probably want an FDR of around 4.2 for 17.5T or 5 for 13.5T (but happy to be corrected here, I don't run those motors). Its safer to start with a higher FDR (ie smaller pinion) as if you go too low it can cook your motor. Start a few pinions higher than you expect, run the car for a few minutes and then check the motor temp. If its cool then put a bigger pinion in, if its hot then put a smaller one in.

If you are just running for fun then I would go 13.5T and gear around FDR 5.8 to start and then go bigger on the pinion if you want more speed.

Looking at the TA08 manual any normal spur will work, so the Axon should. I've seen them at Amain or RCMart, but just grab anything that has the right tooth count. I have Yeah Racing, Associated, Kimbrough and Lee Speed atm as they make small ones for stock racing.

Also, you should do a build thread, there isnt a TA08 on here yet

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 11:39 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Welcome to the forum. 

It would be worth checking out RCTech as well as they have an active(ish) TA08 thread going on and people there are racing these so have some good insights. I'm still running my TA07 and won't be changing anytime soon. In particular check out the rear chassis brace, many people are breaking chassis (at least there are a lot of pictures of broken chassis) so the brace should fix that.

I can help with gearing though. Are you familar with working out the final drive ratio or FDR? Its straightforward, its just

spur size / pinion size x internal ratio (or IR)

The IR of the TA08 is 1.85. So for example a 71T spur and 25T pinion would be 71/25  = 2.84, then 2.84 × 1.85 = 5.254

Sorry if you know all that, just trying to make it all clear in case you don't.  The same calcs obviously apply to offroad as well, but wheel size matters too...so an offroad buggy needs a higher FDR for the same motor.

I run an FDR of 3.44 with a 21.5T motor in mine (blinky mode, so no turbo or boost from the ESC) which is 64T spur, 40T pinion and 2.15IR. I change depending on track layout.

So choose your motor, with the Justock ESC you probably want an FDR of around 4.2 for 17.5T or 5 for 13.5T (but happy to be corrected here, I don't run those motors). Its safer to start with a higher FDR (ie smaller pinion) as if you go too low it can cook your motor. Start a few pinions higher than you expect, run the car for a few minutes and then check the motor temp. If its cool then put a bigger pinion in, if its hot then put a smaller one in.

If you are just running for fun then I would go 13.5T and gear around FDR 5.8 to start and then go bigger on the pinion if you want more speed.

Looking at the TA08 manual any normal spur will work, so the Axon should. I've seen them at Amain or RCMart, but just grab anything that has the right tooth count. I have Yeah Racing, Associated, Kimbrough and Lee Speed atm as they make small ones for stock racing.

Also, you should do a build thread, there isnt a TA08 on here yet

Thank you!...I didn't know any of this! :lol:

Would this spur and pinion work? Should be at 5.87 with the 13.5?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/axon-tcs-v2-64p-spur-gear-111t-axogs-t6b-111/p1297158?v=1297170

https://www.amainhobbies.com/axon-64p-aluminum-pinion-gear-35t-axogp-a6-035/p709246?v=694331

I'll definitely start a build thread. I'm just waiting for a few aluminum Tamiya parts to come in!