Nicadraus

Rally Cars (official thread)- Choose your option

It is very nice a total bargain for the price. The aluminum chassis is reminiscent of the nitro cars of the 80's :) The complete lack of protection for the belts would make it a (clean) tarmac only car  though. Not a problem for everyone of course but a show stopper for me.

• Like 1

A new kid on the rally block.

Carten T410 rally

Carten RC has released details of their upcoming T410 Rally Kit.  Based on their plastic chassis 1:10 190mm T410 kit, the Rally kit is intended for more intense driving.  The bathtub chassis with a cover that improve dustproofing effect.  Aluminum chassis plates front and rear make more durability on rougher terrain.  The front 7 degree kick back design make car more stable when running on bumpy track conditions.  The kit includes aluminium C hubs, full CVDs and aluminium 67mm front and 77mm rear shocks.

Carten.jpg

Nice dirt cover with front fenders

Carten3.jpg

Ride height is probably about 25 - 30mm which is just right for a rally car.

Carten7.jpg

Ah carbon fiber bits. Who doesn't like them?

Carten2.jpg

Carbon fiber parts are stronger than plastic, lighter than aluminum and stiffer too. Stiffer too.

Carten5.jpg

Carten6.jpg

Carten8.jpg

Open-face ball connectors. Easier for maintenance without losing it's  hold that creates slops.

Carten9.jpg

• Like 3

It's nice to see that Carten, SNRC and LC Racing rally cars are equipped with nice aluminum and carbon fiber as stock parts. These parts play important roles for rigidity and stiffness which are common requirements for a true rally car spec. Shame on Tamiya that they can't come out with a car with such parts as standard and just make money out of their loyal patrons.

7 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Shame on Tamiya that they can't come out with a car with such parts as standard and just make money out of their loyal patrons.

That's always been my critique of the hop-up game, some of its decent, some of it should be standard, all of its too expensive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

That's always been my critique of the hop-up game, some of its decent, some of it should be standard, all of its too expensive.

True. Like the SRX for example. Why didn't Tamiya include aluminum motor mount, aluminum steering set and CF shock towers and TRF dampers at least? It's supposed to be the top version of the TT-02 and charged such a high price for that kit. They included some blue bits like spacers, wheel nuts and servo horn which in fact, aren't performance parts and just to make the kit look expensive.

• Like 1

Anyone able to find a link to where you can see specs and/or a link to purchase the Carten Rally?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

True. Like the SRX for example. Why didn't Tamiya include aluminum motor mount, aluminum steering set and CF shock towers and TRF dampers at least? It's supposed to be the top version of the TT-02 and charged such a high price for that kit. They included some blue bits like spacers, wheel nuts and servo horn which in fact, aren't performance parts and just to make the kit look expensive.

The TT-02R kit came with an aluminum motor mount. Otherwise it's down to there being more profit in individual hop-ups rather than kits. I'm just surprised that it has bearings!

I had an M06 Pro with those blue wheel nuts, it only takes a few wheel changes until the anodisation rubs off of the edges.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Anyone able to find a link to where you can see specs and/or a link to purchase the Carten Rally?

The T410 rally has just been announced and not sure if it's already available for purchase. But the T410 & T410R (touring cars) were already available for some time already.

https://mwrcproducts.com/en/produkt/carten-t410r-1-10-4wd-touring-car-racing-kit/

https://blazerc.com/shop-usd/ols/products/carten-t410r-110-ep-touring-car

You can check out their website here for updates:

http://www.carten-rc.com/a/Products/1_10_TOURING_CAR/2023/0330/536.html

8 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

The TT-02R kit came with an aluminum motor mount. Otherwise it's down to there being more profit in individual hop-ups rather than kits.

Frankly, I'm just surprised that it has bearings!

Right. But it's weird that they removed this in the S, SR and SRX which are supposed to be superior versions. :unsure:

So it's a manipulation of degrading an "upgraded" kit. :lol:

• Like 2

This is the side profile of the T410 rally chassis. The 7 degree front raise is a clever idea for rally cars and this design should be followed by other makes.

Carten-T410-Rally-22.jpg

1 minute ago, Nicadraus said:

Right. But it's weird that they removed this in the S, SR and SRX which are supposed to be superior versions. :unsure:

So it's a manipulation of degrading and upgraded kit. :lol:

I think it's just greed more than weird, it's a part that people often buy so they don't include it.

I'm just glad that it's an option though, there's some RCs on the market where you have to buy a whole new transmission casing just to have an aluminum motor mount.

• Like 1

I still love my XV-01 but as I was thinking of upgrading the standard 540 motor to a brushless system I'm glad I already have the universals for the front...

20230708_205020.jpg20230708_205116.jpg20230708_205159.jpg as this is the damage on the right front axle 

20230708_205302.jpg20230708_205406.jpg20230708_205319.jpg and this on the front left axle

All this on 2S lipo and with the standard motor and pinion included in the kit. I didn't expect this. Anyone else with an XV-01 had similar experience or is it just bad luck and small rocks getting jammed in the wrong places...

On 4/5/2023 at 11:38 PM, Nicadraus said:

This is the side profile of the T410 rally chassis. The 7 degree front raise is a clever idea for rally cars and this design should be followed by other makes.

It is something I noticed on the TA-02, as well. Today, the TA-02S is my rally car of choice - with a Lancia 037 shell on top, of course ;)

My experience with the chassis is quite positive: I find it handles predictably, is harder to overturn than the more off-road-dedicated chassis I have driven, and behaves nicely on jumps as well as many different types of surfaces. It is that consistent handling over mixed terrain that makes it a standout rally car to me.

It is far more capable off-road than a dedicated touring car, yet can be driven to a respectable performance against one on the road; some of my best results in the Racing by Post series were scored with my TA-02S, topped only by my F103s on foam tires. I mention this to make a point less about sheer speed and more about its ease of driving.

And through it all, I have only needed to replace the rear dog-bone shafts with CV joints, since the forces acting on the left-rear suspension sought to unscrew the suspension arms, ejecting the dog-bone with it. I have found the chassis' reliability to be more than satisfactory.

With the re-release of the High-Speed Gear Set, we get even more tuning options in the present. To go even further: the continued issuing of the TA-02 and its derivatives also facilitates parts support, which is another desirable trait for a rally car.

In my opinion, a stock TA-02 might not be a competitive proposition on its own against a purpose-built rally chassis, but its excellent handling and sturdiness give a driver plenty to work with - and the basher a chassis that meets every expectation for a rally car.

Of course, I might be biased due to the 037 connection! (though the shaft-driven TA-02S definitely inspires more confidence off-road than the belt-driven TA-03RS)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Grastens said:

It is something I noticed on the TA-02, as well. Today, the TA-02S is my rally car of choice - with a Lancia 037 shell on top, of course ;)

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer buggy-based "rally cars" myself, and technically the TA02 began as a buggy.

On 4/5/2023 at 1:39 PM, Nicadraus said:

A new kid on the rally block.

Carten T410 rally

Ride height is probably about 250 - 300mm which is just right for a rally car.

Hmm...  Sounds like 1:1 scale measurement...  Even 25 mm seems high for a ride height.  Did you mean something else?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer buggy-based "rally cars" myself, and technically the TA02 began as a buggy.

That explains that!

On 7/23/2023 at 8:19 AM, SlideWRX said:

Hmm...  Sounds like 1:1 scale measurement...  Even 25 mm seems high for a ride height.  Did you mean something else?

Edited.