Kowalski86

M05 Oil Dampers

I fixed up my M05 and got it going again, I'm looking for a set of dampers that will give it a bit more ground clearance without causing problems, will the Tamiya 50519 CVA set work? My plan is to build something that will work on little more than flat dirt (like a baseball diamond).

I believe it is the SUPER minis that you need. I used 54753 on my M-05Ra. Minis will probably not fit I think. If you want more clearance, it is the Ra hubs that you will need. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I believe it is the SUPER minis that you need. I used 54753 on my M-05Ra. Minis will probably not fit I think. If you want more clearance, it is the Ra hubs that you will need. 

Unfortunately most places that I've looked are out of stock, and I really don't want to go with aluminum shocks.

40 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Unfortunately most places that I've looked are out of stock, and I really don't want to go with aluminum shocks.

I had a look again and the mini shocks can be built to 55mm, but with a lot of spacers inside, which in turn will (I believe) reduce your shock movement greatly? I might be wrong here so hopefully someone who knows better can tell you. 

Alternative to 54753 is 2 x 50746 but they are less cost effective to buy that way. 

51425 is the hubs part needed to raise the ride height by 5mm.

Hi,

I really like Tamiya's CVA shocks in all different sizes, even BITD the yellow ones on my Falcon could be set easy and just right for the car according to speed, track conditions etc. I've had them standard on my Stadium Blitzer, Keen Hawk, 2 X CC-01's, Rising Storm and as an upgrade on 2 King Blackfoots and 3 X DT02's. Loved them but they got really exênsive over time IMO.

So when I build my M-05 it came with friction shocks and because that really eats away on the potential of this chassis, it is so much fun with a good suspension set-up, I was looking for some oil shocks. Only because 1 set (only 2 shocks) of Tamiya CVA would have set me back almost halve more than this Yeah Racing (4 shocks!) I took "the risk" and ordered the Yeah racing ones. Would do it again, their great and are an immediate fit on the M-05.

20221128_204008.jpg20221128_204048.jpg20221128_204058.jpg

20221128_204023.jpg20221027_225522.jpg

I used the 50mm ones but they can be had in 55mm for the same price. Apparently nowadays Tamiya plastic CVA can be had cheaper or for the same price as this set.

Edited by Tamiyastef
Not yet typed the hole messsage
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

So when I build my M-05 it came with friction shocks and because that really eats away on the potential of this chassis, it is so much fun with a good suspension set-up, I was looking for some oil shocks. Only because 1 set (only 2 shocks) of Tamiya CVA would have set me back almost halve more than this Yeah Racing (4 shocks!) I took "the risk" and ordered the Yeah racing ones. Would do it again, their great and are an immediate fit on the M-05.

I too went away from Tamiya CVA and used 3R ones instead for my M-06. 

However, OP said he really don't want aluminium shocks. 

I suggest one of the Tamiya CVA sets, most likely one that can be built to 55mm. The YR aluminum sets are nice but the stiff springs are better suited for carpet.  For outdoor and asphalt you’ll find more traction with the softer kit-supplied springs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

don't want to go with aluminum

Sorry, missed that part. May I ask if there is any peticular reason you don't like/want aluminium? 

1 hour ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

For outdoor and asphalt you’ll find more traction with the softer kit-supplied springs.

Those are the springs you see on my M-05 as it's always driven on tarmac or smooth dirt/very fine gravel.

21 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Sorry, missed that part. May I ask if there is any peticular reason you don't like/want aluminium? 

I've heard that the aluminum shocks (or at least the Yeah Racing shocks) are stiff, I'm working on an M05 Citroen so I want the shocks to be soft, otherwise its a matter of cost, but given that Amains having a sale I'm willing to try Yeah racing shocks. They can be purchased as 50mm or 55mm, I don't want to restrict the travel too much.

6 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I had a look again and the mini shocks can be built to 55mm, but with a lot of spacers inside, which in turn will (I believe) reduce your shock movement greatly? I might be wrong here so hopefully someone who knows better can tell you. 

Alternative to 54753 is 2 x 50746 but they are less cost effective to buy that way. 

51425 is the hubs part needed to raise the ride height by 5mm.

Thanks for the part nos, after I've driven it a bit on oil dampers I'll look onto the RA hubs if I feel that I need them.

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

Looks like RCmart has 50746 in stock and the RA uprights, are they safe to order from?

If UK, no if you are planning something like a £100 order unless you like paying double tax. Also, their postage tends to be rather high (had not tried their newest "cheaper" postage for smaller items yet. 

If elsewhere, probably yes. 

A side note, I just ordered some mini (not super) from AT, and they tends to charge far reasonable postage (£6 p+p for a £60 order) and never had a problem with the import tx. 

I do have a spare set of NIP dampers from 3racing M4 build last year.  They are aluminum (bronze color) with springs I believe to be too firm, but the price is right.  If it’s worth the holiday postage wait time from SoCal, I be happy to send them to you.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

If UK, no if you are planning something like a £100 order unless you like paying double tax. Also, their postage tends to be rather high (had not tried their newest "cheaper" postage for smaller items yet. 

If elsewhere, probably yes. 

A side note, I just ordered some mini (not super) from AT, and they tends to charge far reasonable postage (£6 p+p for a £60 order) and never had a problem with the import tx. 

I live in the US (wish I lived in the UK), shipping would be about $15 by air according to RCmarts site. But they can be sneaky, like their $68 Subaru TT01E kit which has an absurdly high postage cost.

8 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

I do have a spare set of NIP dampers from 3racing M4 build last year.  They are aluminum (bronze color) with springs I believe to be too firm, but the price is right.  If it’s worth the holiday postage wait time from SoCal, I be happy to send them to you.  

Thank you, I wouldn't mind trying them out, I can DM you later and we'll figure out the details. If the springs are too stiff I might be able to use the springs from the friction shocks.

52 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

But they can be sneaky, like their $68 Subaru TT01E kit which has an absurdly high postage cost.

RCMart postage is a joke and their paperwork is even worse, causing double taxed packages. 

I did a like for like compensation between them and AT, same kit + lowest postage before and they are more expensive. However there are still some who will sing praise of them, even praising their rip off postage. 🤷 Their shipping time is very slow as well, compared to the regular mail used by AT. 

I only buy from them if I have no choice (like YR stuff) and always keep the total below £100.

23 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

RCMart postage is a joke and their paperwork is even worse, causing double taxed packages. 

I did a like for like compensation between them and AT, same kit + lowest postage before and they are more expensive. However there are still some who will sing praise of them, even praising their rip off postage. 🤷 Their shipping time is very slow as well, compared to the regular mail used by AT. 

I only buy from them if I have no choice (like YR stuff) and always keep the total below £100.

I'm both baffled yet not surprised that people would praise their postage, sounds like a case of sunken cost fallacy.

AT has super mini shocks for the TT-01 and shocks for the M04 in stock (which can be made to 55mm), would either of these work?

6 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I'm both baffled yet not surprised that people would praise their postage, sounds like a case of sunken cost fallacy.

AT has super mini shocks for the TT-01 and shocks for the M04 in stock (which can be made to 55mm), would either of these work?

Well, they will say "I don't mind paying extra for better service" although I am not sure what the better service is. They are also the same type who will be insisting that budget gear is "useless". Anyway, I am digressing here. 

Those super minis will definitely work, that's what I use for my M-05Ra. I know exactly which ones you are talking about as they are in my wishlist for my MF-01X build, but that one being a budget challenge build, I went for even cheaper shocks. You will need two packs though and AT only has one left in stock. 

58 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Well, they will say "I don't mind paying extra for better service" although I am not sure what the better service is. They are also the same type who will be insisting that budget gear is "useless". Anyway, I am digressing here. 

Those super minis will definitely work, that's what I use for my M-05Ra. I know exactly which ones you are talking about as they are in my wishlist for my MF-01X build, but that one being a budget challenge build, I went for even cheaper shocks. You will need two packs though and AT only has one left in stock. 

I'm tempted to try Traxxas 4-Tec shocks, they make a rear set for the 4Tec thats 50mm.

I did go the dirt cheap route before with off-brand aluminum China stuff, despite what the description said they wouldn't fit, too long.

26 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

they wouldn't fit, too long

Yes, I am looking for GH front shocks and saw they list by total length instead of eye to eye length. In most cases, I buy from a UK supplier (JK) which list the shocks by chassis, so I can be sure they will fit. 

If you are looking for increased clearance, consider 60mm instead and take up the extra (if any) travel with spacers? In fact that's how Tamiya shocks work as well. 

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Yes, I am looking for GH front shocks and saw they list by total length instead of eye to eye length. In most cases, I buy from a UK supplier (JK) which list the shocks by chassis, so I can be sure they will fit. 

If you are looking for increased clearance, consider 60mm instead and take up the extra (if any) travel with spacers? In fact that's how Tamiya shocks work as well. 

Wouldn't a set of Hornet shocks work? Or are they friction up front?

If 60mm would work I'll go that way, it all depends on what I can do and keep the dog bones happy and the drivetrain from binding. 

60mm Probably wouldn't work on my MF-01X due to it being in its higher ground clearance setup.

Wouldn't a set of Hornet shocks work? Or are they friction up front?

If 60mm would work I'll go that way, it all depends on what I can do and keep the dog bones happy and the drivetrain from binding. 

Probably, but I ended up with a set of minis from AT (shorts for the back from Tamiya dealer in Singapore). 

If you have spare spacers left over from other Tamiya, you can "tune" the length of thr 60mm. However you will find it more difficult to lengthen the 50mm.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:58 AM, Kowalski86 said:

It is backordered from towerhobbies, but it says estimated shipping date is december. (For 54753)

Whoa. Looks like tt-02 cva dampers stocks are drying out and keep getting delayed.

I was going to backorder from towerhobbies since their ETA was december.. (Amain had stocks with bit higher price) which i forgot to order.

Just learned that ETA for tt-02 cvas are pushed to march of 2023… and same one got sold out on amain.

Managed to order a set from rcmart, but they are also low in stock. :(

3 hours ago, Sogogi said:

Whoa. Looks like tt-02 cva dampers stocks are drying out and keep getting delayed.

I was going to backorder from towerhobbies since their ETA was december.. (Amain had stocks with bit higher price) which i forgot to order.

Just learned that ETA for tt-02 cvas are pushed to march of 2023… and same one got sold out on amain.

Managed to order a set from rcmart, but they are also low in stock. :(

You would think that with Tamiya building so many TT-02s there would be more spare parts/hop-ups out there for them.

On my other Tamiyas I try to mix and match  "universal" parts, shocks, motors, etc. Anything  compatible that gives good performance. My DT-02 has Traxxas/ECX shocks on it while my Lunchbox has an old Titan 12t in it.

You would think that with Tamiya building so many TT-02s there would be more spare parts/hop-ups out there for them.

On my other Tamiyas I try to mix and match  "universal" parts, shocks, motors, etc. Anything  compatible that gives good performance. My DT-02 has Traxxas/ECX shocks on it while my Lunchbox has an old Titan 12t in it.

I never expected to have shortages on tt-02 related parts.. not sure it is due to supply chain issue or something else. (I remember seeing a post (here or somewhere else) where the person ended up buying a whole new tt-02 kit just to get a part.