Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

HPI ?s

What's the status/stability of HPI and their parts supply these days? I have a shot (pun) at potentially getting an HPI Jumpshot V2 MT project but don't want it to become a total paperweight if I break a part. I'm located in the States. Thanks!

I still see some kits and parts available online for HPI. RCMart have lots of them but not sure how HPI is available in the US nowadays. HPI used to be very popular when the RS4 Pro4 dominated the touring scene and their collaboration with Hot Bodies (HBRacing) with the Cyclone, Pro 5 TC and buggies.

• Like 2

After a decade of bouncing between bankruptcy & obscurity whilst being owned by Tower Hobby, Ripmax etc... they got bought out by the Danes - past 6mths there’s finally fresh activity with HPI & Maverick making a comeback of sorts. 

HPI revived the Baja 5B :lol:

On 11/27/2022 at 7:39 PM, Nicadraus said:

I still see some kits and parts available online for HPI. RCMart have lots of them but not sure how HPI is available in the US nowadays. HPI used to be very popular when the RS4 Pro4 dominated the touring scene and their collaboration with Hot Bodies (HBRacing) with the Cyclone, Pro 5 TC and buggies.

I still have my RS4 Pro.  :D  I use to drive it with the designer Ito-san and Kogawa-san back in the day.  That's where I met Kogawa-san through a mutual friend.  I sold my like new Pro2 to a close buddy of mine back in 2000.  He still has it.  

8 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I still have my RS4 Pro.  :D  I use to drive it with the designer Ito-san and Kogawa-san back in the day.  That's where I met Kogawa-san through a mutual friend.  I sold my like new Pro2 to a close buddy of mine back in 2000.  He still has it.  

I miss mine. I shouldn't have sold it. I modified mine with every hop-up available at that time. It drove fast and well on the track and I was so in love with it.

I ran 23t and 19t with this powered by Twister Hara 2.1. These are the only pics I have left of it which I took in 2007 before I sold it.

hUAgxyD.jpg

3hAMwgf.jpg

EFMJXAx.jpg

wZH33DP.jpg

VazrEIV.jpg

Please show me your Pro4 for drool's sake. :lol:

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

I miss mine. I shouldn't have sold it. I modified mine with every hop-up available at that time. It drove fast and well on the track and I was so in love with it.

I ran 23t and 19t with this powered by Twister Hara 2.1. These are the only pics I have left of it which I took in 2007 before I sold i

Please show me your Pro4 for drool's sake. :lol:

Nice!  Mine is pretty beat up and ugly as I actually raced with it back in the day.. it ran mostly stock class 27T until it was replaced by the Pro2.  It became my basher for my wife and other people to drive when we went to racing events.  My primary car was a TC3 running mod class.   Last time I drove this thing in front of my house was 10 years ago?  lol..

I was thinking about running this chassis to do the street version SandScorcher..with new electronics and all.  I also have the RS4 Mini which was a disaster of a car.. it's in bits and pieces though..  my other HPI's are the CupRacer and MicroRS4.  

Sorry for the ugly.. it can be cleaned up, however..     I have other bodies for it..A4, NSX, etc..and a bunch of mod motors including one I made myself using various parts I sourced in Akihabara.  12T efficiency with 10T top end.

IMG_2022-11-30-082355.jpg.80e275d426f4f1ee81dc07e315dc23da.jpg

IMG_2022-11-30-082423.jpg.5e4b766aef142fd41b9215c302385999.jpg

IMG_2022-11-30-082433.jpg.38783d327925966d1b69ac100c0460bd.jpg

IMG_2022-11-30-082440.jpg.572fa265fcd6334d8f740f8337759d3b.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Nice!  Mine is pretty beat up and ugly as I actually raced with it back in the day.. it ran mostly stock class 27T until it was replaced by the Pro2.  It became my basher for my wife and other people to drive when we went to racing events.  My primary car was a TC3 running mod class.   Last time I drove this thing was 10 years ago?  lol..

I was thinking about running this chassis to do the street version SandScorcher..with new electronics and all.  I also have the RS4 Mini which was a disaster of a car.. it's in bits and pieces though..  my other HPI's are the CupRacer and MicroRS4.  

Sorry for the ugly.. it can be cleaned up, however..     I have other bodies for it..A4, NSX, etc..and a bunch of mod motors including one I made myself using various parts I sourced in Akihabara.  12T efficiency with 10T top end.

IMG_2022-11-30-082355.jpg.80e275d426f4f1ee81dc07e315dc23da.jpg

IMG_2022-11-30-082423.jpg.5e4b766aef142fd41b9215c302385999.jpg

IMG_2022-11-30-082433.jpg.38783d327925966d1b69ac100c0460bd.jpg

IMG_2022-11-30-082440.jpg.572fa265fcd6334d8f740f8337759d3b.jpg

Still looks nice! The RS4 I believe was the game changer in touring cars before. It's what most cars from Associated, Yokomo, Kyosho and Tamiya followed with its design in the mid-late 90s and which is still used by HPI today with the Sprint 2.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Still looks nice! The RS4 I believe was the game changer in touring cars before. It's what most cars from Associated, Yokomo, Kyosho and Tamiya followed with its design in the mid-late 90s and which is still used by HPI today with the Sprint 2.

Thanks!

You're right.  Before the RS4, touring cars were modified buggy chassis.. kind of the reverse of the TT02, huh?   :D   

Sprint2... huh.. Maybe I can find parts for it if needed.. thanks for the info!

• Like 1

I have the Hpi jumpshot mt V2 for some time now, you can get parts for it on different webshops they are not so hard to get, but it is a pretty tough car I have a lot of runs on the car but nothing broke of wear.

If you want to buy 1 get the brushless version this one has upgrade metal gears in the gearbox, the brushed one is just the old one with plastic gears.

I have upgrade some parts on it, the servo saver is crab, changed it for a Tamiya high torqeu one and changed the spur gear to a 32 pitch,  and bought the option wheely bar and put on the bumper from the sc model.

51253918849_259547720d_k.jpg

• Like 3

I almost bought a jump shot a few weeks ago. I really like the vertical plate design for the chassis, seems like it’d be much more durable. Only reason I didn’t buy it was because I didn’t want another 2wd truck. I came across a few websites of US hobby shops that have some parts but most stuff seems to be overseas.

Personally I wouldn’t worry much about it becoming a paperweight because from a quick look on their site it seems all the parts likely to break are shared between all the jump shot variants and readily available, and will probably remain that way seeing as it’s been out awhile and they recently released it again with a new body if I recall. 

Plus if the quality has remained over the years doubt much if anything will break unless you bash it at a skatepark regularly, I raced my pro2 and super nitro weekly for years and other than the pull start I can’t think of anything ever breaking, and I’ve had lots of crashes, My nitro was treated more like a rally car than a road car, even had the nitro run into the back of a truck at full speed and get launched into the air and come out fine (except the new lambo body, was it’s first time out too:(), looked like the Le Mans Mercedes CLR flip.

425B5151-A9E3-498E-88BD-F3C3FFB184DA.jpeg.e595939ebcdd4fa3d5574f15586febf7.jpeg06809283-6870-413E-A827-7782456D41FB.jpeg.e969d612150131c27031829028790a52.jpeg11861EE9-C9F5-4419-8EA1-A77578A3FF64.jpeg.0b86633571e928d07c6018a36e941be5.jpeg

• Like 3

Yeah, I've been wondering about parts availability too for the newer models. For sure, if you're looking at older stuff, it's hard to find. I have a nitro RS4-2 and nitro RS4-3, which I guess may be considered vintage at this point. Parts for those are impossible to find. 

• Like 1

I have x3 R40's, x1 Hara, that needs rebuilding.  Plenty of parts available.  Only problem parts are the up rated shocks.

Might do a build thread, if I can be bothered.

I have a Cup Racer, Mini Trophy, and a Blitz. All great chassis that deserve a “v2”; and impossible to find parts for.

HRP distributes HPI in the States, so as long as HPI doesn’t flop again, parts shouldn’t be too hard to get for production models. The Maverick lineup is pretty poor quality (there’s a broken one on my shelf), and I don’t know about parts support for that line.

• Like 1

I love HPI models. My first hobby-grade RC car was an HPI vehicle. I still have it, too. An RS4 Rally.

m3Ue5TL.jpg

My RS4 MT is there too. I also have an RS4 4 Type SS that's still in really good shape but running nitro is a chore these days.

XkIV9oE.jpg

wGPg1FX.jpg

fa1s3EO.jpg

pNHcyAJ.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wun1jee said:

I love HPI models. My first hobby-grade RC car was an HPI vehicle. I still have it, too. An RS4 Rally.

XkIV9oE.jpg

pNHcyAJ.jpg

Nice! :)

HPI Super RS4 EP

When I first built it in 2000, I ran a custom soldered 8-cell 3000mah nimh saddle pack, Speedworks 10-turn double and Novak Super Rooster. Needless to say the motor didn't last too long. One of segments of the commutator actually delaminated from the rotor and crashed into the motor can. I still have that rotor as a trophy.

IMG_20221217_131640109.jpg

IMG_20221217_131816094.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, M 800STD said:

@Nicadraus  Are those HPI body shells?

Yes. I still have the blue one up to now. The green one, my son wrecked it already. :lol:

• Thanks 1