An_RC_Guy

TT-02 Track Width Widening

Hello everyone,

As a gift of gratitude from my uncle for helping him fix his 93' Mazda RX-7, he has gotten me a Tamiya TT-02 Porsche 911 RSR kit. Since being told that this kit is headed my way within a little less than a month I have been reading up on the chassis and looking at what some have already built in the past. From what I can find it seems that this kit has poor fitment out of the box, even with the stock wheels dished out as much as they can be. I've heard people talk about getting wider hexes, adding a ton of spacers, hunting down parts trees with the ever so elusive molded wider axles, etc. and while those do work I feel there could be something better. Searching through the RC Mart hop-ups catalogue I did notice the TG10 Long Wheel Axle #50808, which from what I understand "can" fit the TT-02. My question to all of you is if this fits properly and will be longer than the stock axles that comes in the kit.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

336376676_TamiyaTG10LongWheelAxle50808.jpg.76603027a993515a1601528845443a9a.jpg

You will need the correct dog bones to go with these and universal shaft diff joint, I believe you already get the wide hexes in the kit, why not look at some MST offset interchangeable wheels, no modification required just select the correct offset and glue.

• Like 1

So I think that might throw the TG10 axle idea out the window, at least for right now due to the cost of buying all the extra bits. Interesting, I haven't seen those MST wheels before. I should have noted that I bought a set of Tamiya 2 piece mesh wheels (2 regular and 2 wide) to replace the stock Fuchs wheels, but it honestly might be better to get the MST's and hold onto or resell the 2 piece mesh set.

If you were considering the TG10 long axles but were put off by the number of additional parts needed to make them work, how about using TT-02 long axles?

The Tamiya TT-02 axle set PN 51529 comes with two standard axles and one long one which gives the same width extension as a TG10 long axle when used with a 10mm wheel hex. The set goes for £7.98 from Tony's Tamiya Parts on EBay. You'll need two of them. They work with the standard dogbones, etc, and the kit comes with 10mm hexes, so you won't need any other parts to make them work.

• Like 3

@An_RC_Guy alternatively, you could also widen the track using:

1. Offset wheels. +5 will give you the same effect as the longer axles.
  2. 32mm wide wheels & tires, instead of the regular 26mm will give you both extra track width and traction. They look awesome too. Some example Tamiya parts:
    • 50547 32mm wide slick tires rear, 50454 26mm slick tires front.
    • 50673 White 5-Spoke 32mm rear wheels, 50672 White 5-Spoke 26mm front wheels.
    • 50549 Gold Mesh 32mm rear wheels, 50548 Gold Mesh 26mm front wheels.
  3. Offset + wide wheels (combination of #1 and #2 above). All the wheels listed above use a 2-piece design which can be built with either +2 or +10 offset. For example, if you build the 32mm wheels with a +10 offset, you will get a total of 32mm extra tack width (6mm from the tire, 10mm from the offset, total 16mm on each side). If you use the +10 offset, you might not even need the wide wheels/tires. Other 2-piece 26mm wheels available are: 54854 Black 5-Spoke and 54794 Black Mesh.

Cheers!

• Like 3