Sogogi

Parts storage system

Hello!

Now I have built 4+ kits, I started accumulating extra parts / hop ups.

Due to current limitation of the space, I cannot have luxury of having dedicated parts storage shelfs, so looking for a solution where I can store parts that can be moved around easily.

I remember using Plano tackle box which is a tool box that has several small part bins inside.. I am wondering if there any other solutions I may have not thought about.

(Also would like to use some of parts storage system to bring to tracks which I plan to do early next year for the first time).

Or maybe If you all can share your systems that would be awesome too.

thank you!

I use a multi compartment box for small things, and a medium sized carry tool box for tools.

For spare parts, I store them in the boxes the kits came in, ie Frog spares in the Frog box etc.

For wheels and tires, I use a large tub.  I also use a few other small tubs for paints, batteries, and other random crap, like shock damper parts, electronics, etc.

Most of it slides under the bed, and the large tub has a spot in our closet.

• Like 1

Raaco make a good range of assorter boxes which are not too expensive if you find the right place to buy them (often you have to buy the cases and the inserts seperately). These are a very nice solution for small parts.

I also have various other unbranded small parts boxes from "pound shops", some are good, some are crap, rarely do you find the same ones twice.

For bigger items it's a combination of the original boxes, plastic crates and RC hauler bags.

For smaller parts I too use string spool for crafters, but other larger parts and tires are placed in clear shoe boxes and stacked up in my closet in my pretend RC shop.

Next to my charger shelf.. and all around inside the closet.. :ph34r:

IMG_2022-9-10-132145.jpg.40a945f3f60ba3685f1d95a67ebc18eb.jpg

• Like 1

For my smaller parts I just use 4 compartment boxes. I made a simple plywood storage box to house them. Seems to work fine. 

RQvo1n8.jpg

• Like 3

It depends where you are located.

In the UK, Screwfix have all sorts of tool and parts storage, some examples

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-fatmax-deep-pro-organiser-14-1-2-x-18/22910 I like these as I can carry all the parts around easily

https://www.screwfix.com/p/storage-unit/5616p

Or the good old trusty cantilever toolbox https://www.screwfix.com/p/metal-cantilever-tool-box-17/5074p (You can often find these at car boot sales or charity shops for cheap, which is where I got a couple)

You can also get sorted storage at craft stores like Hobbycraft for reasonable prices e.g.  https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/teal-metallic-caddy-33cm-x-20cm-x-15cm/6526171003.html

• Like 1

I use 2litre ice cream tubs. Only problem is I get fatter every time I build another model and have to add to the spares stack.

• Haha 5

I've been using these simple, inexpensive, stackable (and see through... ;) ) storage tubs.   Every new kit I get, I use one of these as a dedicated container only for that model's extra parts, decals, etc.  I use a marker on a label to label them.   I also have a few others with more generic supplies that may be hop ups or generic like servos, ESCs, receivers etc.   They stack well, don't take too much to get one out from under the others.....and did I mention cheap!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Set-of-10-6-Qt-Storage-Boxes-Plastic-Titanium/247777555

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

I've been using these simple, inexpensive, stackable (and see through... ;) ) storage tubs.   Every new kit I get, I use one of these as a dedicated container only for that model's extra parts, decals, etc.  I use a marker on a label to label them.   I also have a few others with more generic supplies that may be hop ups or generic like servos, ESCs, receivers etc.   They stack well, don't take too much to get one out from under the others.....and did I mention cheap!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Set-of-10-6-Qt-Storage-Boxes-Plastic-Titanium/247777555

Looks good.  That’s very similar to the shoe boxes I use.  :D   My wife lends me her labeler so it makes it look nice and tidy.  I think my boxes are like $1.25 each and can be had at HomeDepot, Target.. I am sure Walmart had them too for cheap.

• Like 1

Bins, bins, and more bins... I try and keep it nice, but it gets messy rather quickly.  I use Plano tackleboxes when I'm out and about. I use one for crawling/bashing (modded to carry my radio inside) and a dedicated one for on-road that keeps tools, spares, and tuning parts. 

20200907-171649sm.jpg

20200907-171755sm.jpg

20200907-171703sm.jpg

• Like 3

Mine is a motley assortment of plastic bins, totes, drawers, and tackle boxes, as well as several of those Plano flat boxes with the moveable spacers. (Fun fact: Plano Molding Co. is in Plano, Illinois, two towns over from where I grew up.)

I tend to keep large parts organized by vehicle type and not by part type: all my crawler parts are together, all my metric buggy parts are together (Tamiya and Kyosho), all RC10 stuff is together, etc. And I keep US and metric fasteners as separate as I can. Wheels and tires are all in their own separate drawer, and try as I might to keep pairs or sets of four together, inevitably if I go looking for a set, I find three and have to dig for the fourth.

It all gets messy and jumbled up, I spend a couple of days sorting it all out again, rinse, repeat.

12 hours ago, markbt73 said:

And I keep US and metric fasteners as separate as I can.

^^^This^^^  If anyone learns anything from this post, please remember this.  ;)

• Like 1

Ahh imperial fasteners….what a strange time it was when you had to have two sets of tool, for for US and one for kits from the test of the world.

The spares/parts I use most, are in the tool box trolley (Stanley, out of B&Q) I use when racing.

I've also a work bench, (covered in , stuff, so not able to use as a workbench, but...🙄), which has draws for the, used , but not as much as the the tool box trolley, used.

The rest is in plastic storage boxes, littered around the garage and loft. During the summer, I emptied each one out ,took a picture on my mobile, and saved in a separate folder. Now when I'm looking for a part, I can have a flick through the pics, and at least see which box it's in! 

• Like 1

80 litre rubs for wheels and tires, 40 litre with smaller tubs(ice-cream, butter, etc) inside for other parts. Old chest of drawers for body parts, one drawer for motors. Those wee drawers in a plastic frame for hardware etc. 

Batteries and chargers go in a metal wheely tool chest to be a bit safer. 

My biggest storage issue is where to keep the models!! I’ve got them under the stairs, in my wardrobe, in the attic and the shed. It’s a disaster. 

On 12/8/2022 at 7:41 AM, Wooders28 said:

During the summer, I emptied each one out ,took a picture on my mobile, and saved in a separate folder. Now when I'm looking for a part, I can have a flick through the pics, and at least see which box it's in! 

Now that is pretty canny thinking!!

On 12/7/2022 at 2:00 PM, markbt73 said:

And I keep US and metric fasteners as separate as I can.

I learnt this the hard way!

• Thanks 1

Like some I store spare parts in the kit boxes. I also have a container storage box for larger parts I use more often and for oils, some tools, electrics etc.

However for small bits like screws, washers, clips etc I found that even with smaller container boxes the different parts would ‘jump’ sometimes form one container to another so now for small bits I use storage boxes meant for bracelet beads. They are small sealable containers that themselves are stored in a bigger container for carrying.

• Like 1