An_RC_Guy

F104W 3D Printed Parts

I made these a while ago, but just recently joined here, so here it is. I decided in 2021 that I wanted to change my F104W Lotus 102b up some. So, with Autodesk Inventor, a borrowed 3d printer, and a crazy drive to make something cool I set off. I decided that I didn't like the stock diffuser as it was a little (VERY) boring, so that was my first venture. I had gotten some Zoro carbon reinforced filament and decided to test it out on the diffuser as it was a dark grey and looked good as a chassis color. Next thing was many hours of staring back and forth from my screen to my calipers trying to get the measurements right. I decided to go with what I thought looked cool, taking a lot of inspiration from the large diffusers used on open wheel hill climb cars. With this in mind I made 3 large tunnels that extended from the back of the motor pod to about 6mm from the back of the wing. It took me only 2 prints to get all the tolerances right and I was able to finally mount the custom diffuser to the chassis. This lead to what I have pictured. I did end up having to do a lot of filing and sanding because of how I did my supports, but I think the result wasn't too bad.

IMG_5450.thumb.jpg.9115206f1f8a8db1642e4bdd5378862b.jpgIMG_5452.thumb.jpg.23ca7320a82d3ce76ddbc6c0e66764d5.jpgIMG_5453.thumb.jpg.becbfcae177fe19fda92cc99ae7b5a30.jpg

Another thing in the pictures is a custom 3d printed wing. I did this as an experiment to see if I could make a one piece wing, and it came out pretty good. I will note that I did have some problems one endplate as the inside had some stringing from printing on supports and both endplates had a problem with a small unfilled void from a weird nozzle path.