esmuz

Help identify F1 Chassis

Hey, any idea of which chassis is this? 

It is supposed to be the chassis of a Toyota  GT_one TS2020 which came with an F103RS Chassis, but it looks totally different to me, look at the non symmetrical shape of it.. 

The owner claims it is carbon fiber and it's a special edition of the Toyota Gt-ONE.

Thanks

Captura de Pantalla 2022-12-07 a las 18.28.43.png

Any pictures of the underside? That otherwise looks like a standard F103 with the mechanical speed control tray installed (without said mechanical speed control). It would be easier to determine if the shape is that of the chassis plate itself or any sub-assemblies if we can get another angle, please.

I think you are right, I found these pictures from an Audi R8R with mechanical SC + heat sink and it looks the same.. the R8R came with the F103LM chassis though. 

The weird thing is, that most pictures from R8R models don't mount the tray and use an ESC... 

I've been checking Tamiya catalogs from the 80s and can't see a single picture of F103 models with the tray.. even in these years the cars are featured with ESC. 

When or what models did feature those trays?? 

Not sure yet if this is an F103LM or RS or a plain one though, I am just trying to figure out if this chasis has any particular value..

PS: No, the guy didn't provide pictures from below yet.

953244d1343822552-tamiya-audi-r8r-sale-f03lm-trf-special-chassis-kit.jpg

img34148_26112011185027_4_1100_.jpg

I also found this picture

Take a look at the green sticker: A 3STEP FORWARD C REVERSE SPEED CONTROL IS INCLUDED.

The chassis is F103RS, so it seems like some kits were sold with a mechanical SC and might include a special tray for it? 

getuserimage.jpg

7 hours ago, esmuz said:

I've been checking Tamiya catalogs from the 80s and can't see a single picture of F103 models with the tray.. even in these years the cars are featured with ESC. 

The F103 didnt come out until 1993, and that tray was never used on the early F1 cars. It is a feature seen on the F103 RX and RS chassis cars.

J

7 hours ago, esmuz said:

The chassis is F103RS, so it seems like some kits were sold with a mechanical SC and might include a special tray for it? 

getuserimage.jpg

I had the exact same model; it was my first Tamiya. As junkmunki mentioned, it seems that the MSC parts were standard-issue for the F103RS and RX, possibly to add value/lower costs relative to the other F103 chassis of that period.

The chassis from the listing looks like the F103RS; the F103LM's wider plate allowed the steering servo to be mounted on its side. I would figure that it is about as valuable as any used F103, whatever that price may be (I personally have no idea what an example might fetch on the open market).

Thank you so much guys. 

The seller is asking 100€. He argues it's a collectors model, carbon fiber chassis plate... but it is not, as far as we figured out here.

Considering a typical F1 release from Tamiya is about 150€ new, ( hopefully they re-release something on F103  or F104W in 2023)  I don't think it's a great deal...

I should probably have to spend more than 150€ to restore it + the hustle of finding parts. 

I would get the F104 Pro2 and try to find the TS020 body if that is the body you want..given the wheel base is the same.   

The Pro2 was only $220 shipped.. and $0 to me since my wife bought it for me for xmas.  :lol:   Depending on how I like the car, I will explore the full CF luxury version XRay X1 down the road.. 

5 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I would get the F104 Pro2 and try to find the TS020 body if that is the body you want..given the wheel base is the same.   

An intriguing proposition...

... However, I thought the F104 wheelbase was 270 mm. The GT-One and F103-based cars had a wheelbase of 260 mm. It could be easy enough to cut new wheel arches, though, to make up the 10 mm difference (that is, if I recall correctly). Basing it on the F104 might mean better handling, too...

I have been on the lookout for GT-One shells, and they do tend to cost more than a complete kit these days (it's all greed at this point...). At least they are around, though, which is a good thing.

• Like 1