Sign in to follow this  
Steewax

Lexan cloudy after Carsson paint killer :-(

Hi guys I wanted to share and ask if anyone has any further suggestions.

i recently bought a Kyosho 1:9 Toyota 4 runner (the one with the ccvt gearbox) and it came with a badly painted Lexan body shell. In the past I had good experiences with the Tamiya Lexan cleaner to remove old paint and respray so I went ahead and started removing the paint. This time it was really difficult so I decided to also try the Carson paint killer. It worked about the same as the Tamiya product and it took me days to remove all the paint. However in order to have any progress I had to use a lot of the paint killer and at the end the lexan body was quite cloudy and milky. I was not too worried because I had this before with other bodies and after painting it magically disappeared.  This time it was different I started painting with one of the colours (bright gun metal) and it looked awful. The cloudyness was was still visible and it looked really bad. I decided to remove the paint again and polish the Lexan with a dremel and some car paint polish. After hours and hours it seemed like the bad clouds disappeared. It was weird sometimes it felt that the heat from polishing helped to make the clouds disappear. Joyfully I went ahead and washed the body from the inside with some soap water to prepare for masking and painting again. Now it happened that the body started clouding up again :(. I was really suprised. It’s now at the stage that the body looks perfectly clear if I wipe it with Tamiya polycarbonat cleaner but after seconds it starts fogging up again :-(. I’m running out of ideas I really don’t want to paint from the outside and the body is also very rare to find. I spent dozens of hours and really hope to finish it somewhat nice. Any ideas or experience from you guys would be welcomed. Thx a lot Steve 

Maybe that means I should not use the paint killer again 🥹. I hope I find a way to bring it back to clearness. If anyone else would like to share their experience it would be very much appreciated. 

I had exactly the same disappointment with Carson Paint Killer. I asked the support what’s wrong but they could not really help me. Next time I‘ll try the Tamiya stuff.

Perhaps try and spray a clear coating on it. Something like TAMIYA TS-80. I think that worked for me. Not sure if my memory serves me right here.