Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

Was there ever a long wheelbase hot shot conversion?

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Just wondered if anyone ever made more space for stuff inside

Tough to say definitively. The original Hotshot was part of that era where folks were scratch building a lot of cool stuff and trying out various ideas. Its conceivable a lwb version was built or tried at some point by someone. IIRC correctly someone fitted a torque splitter, in line, as part of a custom prop shaft so I could see someone attempting a longer one.

I know what you mean about tight packaging inside the chassis. I thought the stock mini-tub tucked under the main top frame was tight until I built the Super Boomerhotshoterang. 

20221211_112037

The Factory Works fiberglass chassis might have been even more roomy than stock had I used the standard electronics layout. I wanted the better steering option the chassis offered which used part of an RC10 steering assembly. I get no bumpsteer and plenty off throw but the repositioned servo and added linkage take up a lot of room.

Its hard to make out, but I wound up tucking the receiver and a small ESC up under the driver, above the battery pack.

20200804_161327

20200802_080314

Despite being a pain to route and place electronics, I'd still take a HS series buggy over the open tub Boomerang style. They just look so tough to me. That being said, I might feel different in the old days when MSCs were in play and required maintenance and adjustment from time to time. I would have welcomed the HS2 access hatch (which found its way into all the re-res) for crystal changes as well.

• Like 6

How did the car changed with the longer wheel base?
More stable?
Less cornering abilities?

Max