Yes, another one...Just finished this guy up and I'm pretty happy with it (performance-wise anyway, had to make compromises in the aesthetics dept to get all out race-bred performance, but they can't all be lookers).  Hopefully some of you guys are interested in this stuff. 

Recently purchased another couple run-down LMTs and have plans for both, but this guy was first since I'll be using it for indoor carpet racing all winter.  Started by cutting the chassis just before the sway bar mounts since I'm using link-mounted shocks, and had it powder coated in red.  The truck is sitting as low as it possibly can while still allowing for full travel of the 100mm Yeah Racing Big Bore dampers.  The handling of this truck is absolutely unbelievable, corners completely flat, will not wheelie even under full throttle, and absolutely zero bounce when landing, its just perfect.    

Other highlights include a 3800kv 3665 motor w/120a ESC, DS3218 Pro servo, Low COG electronics/battery trays, Treal lower links, and JC Renegade tires with closed cell foam inserts.  Drivetrain is completely stock LMT with some modifications; flipped center diff, and oil-less differentials front/rear with 100k oil in the center diff.  

Body is loosely replicating the Carolina Crusher #3 that ran in USHRA/Penda events in the early-mid 90s.  I always liked the owner/driver of this truck, Gary Porter, because he never had corporate sponsors and was still competitive with the top teams.  

I'd really prefer the body to be a bit higher and also to have a full length chassis, but this was the next evolution in race truck for me.  My current best truck is my Carbon LMT, and this feels even better.  All of the weight is actually below the top of the tires, pretty unbelievable and you can feel it when driving the truck.  Taking it out to its first race this weekend and expecting good things.   A little more shock tuning to do, but its 90% there.

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4628.JPG

IMG_4632.JPG

IMG_4653.JPG

IMG_4654.JPG

• Like 8

Wow!  That's awesome!  So low it looks like a stadium truck!

How are the Yeah Racing shocks?  I've been in a long-running debate with buggy racers over what shocks are worth buying without taking out a second mortgage.

4 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Wow!  That's awesome!  So low it looks like a stadium truck!

How are the Yeah Racing shocks?  I've been in a long-running debate with buggy racers over what shocks are worth buying without taking out a second mortgage.

Yea, its about as low as it can get!  Not a huge fan of that look, but it works really well.  

For the money I really like the YR shocks.  Have used them on 4-5 trucks now and very happy with them.  They have decent sized bores and come with three sets of springs/pistons and are very tunable.  The bodies are nicely threaded and haven't had a leaker yet.  I can really only speak to them being used on big heavy trucks, but have used them with 4-hole pistons and 15wt oil on axle-mounted shock setups and they're plenty soft when you need them to be.  They really shine for link mounted trucks where you need more damping due to the leverage.  Most guys I race with use Powertrokes, but those are 2x the price and just not worth it to me.  They are admittedly a bit smoother, but also stiffer and cause some bounce on solid axle trucks.  I'd definitely give them a shot, a great option for what they cost. 

• Thanks 1

Love the crusher!

I have a Clod Crusher and it is almost at the point where i wanted it to be, i just have to fit some Velcro Bodymountingsupport, because the Magnets aren`t stong enough for a Monstertruck.

• Like 1

Yes, I remember you posting that @whahooo  I know a lot of guys that use Velcro mounts on race trucks and it holds up just fine.  Magnets are great for crawlers and touring cars, but you're right they don't hold up on monsters.  I always post mount my bodies.  I probably shouldn't since the body then becomes married to the truck, but I like having it positioned perfecly on the truck every time I get out there.  I also hate the sound of lexan bagning around over jumps which is very common with velcro mounts on a race truck.  I like to sandwich my body on the posts between foam isolators so I don't get any of that noise. 

54 minutes ago, ad456 said:

That thing looks like a total weapon with that stance!!

Thanks @ad456   Hoping that's the case, will have it out Sunday at its first race so we'll see how it goes.  

Truck won the Pro Mod class at its first race today!  Was absolutely on rails and nearly impossible to upset the chassis with all of the weight down low.  A small bit of tuning to do, but it was pretty much dialed in from the jump.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Truck won the Pro Mod class at its first race today!  Was absolutely on rails and nearly impossible to upset the chassis with all of the weight down low.  A small bit of tuning to do, but it was pretty much dialed in from the jump.

Nice one!

This looks amazing, but out of interest, if the trucks can be so low, what stops someone using a truggy to race?

4 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

This looks amazing, but out of interest, if the trucks can be so low, what stops someone using a truggy to race?

Must be solid axle :)  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Must be solid axle :)  

A “real” monster truck:D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ad456 said:

A “real” monster truck:D

Yea...unfortunately the better they perform the further they stray from looking "real".   I try my best to keep them in "scalish" proportions and this one got a bit out there, but it runs really, really well so I'll compromise. 

Nice one....just realized who you were when I saw the truck...lol. I'm sure you'll know who I am by this.....:D

spacer.png

• Like 1

Yes of course Dan!  Like the carb setup you added to the body. 

I've been enjoying the FB Groups, but I'll always love TC and post my trucks here (even when they're not always Tamiya :) )

• Like 1

I much prefer the forums, it's a shame so many people have gone to FB for this stuff. It all gets lost in the shuffle.....

6 minutes ago, Jeepy2013 said:

I much prefer the forums, it's a shame so many people have gone to FB for this stuff. It all gets lost in the shuffle.....

Yes, agree 100%.  I can always come back and find things on forums.  Not so much on FB.  Also gets old seeing the same things posted over and over and over again week after week.  Definitely some cool and interesting stuff, but a lot of repetition as well.