AshRC

Pajero 58044 restoration

A friend of mine had a Pajero back in the 80s and I always liked it. The rest of us had buggies, I think this was the first hard body I’d ever seen. He moved away and I kinda forgot about the Pajero.

A while back I saw one again and all the old memories came back. Took a while to find one, but I bought this in the summer.

8yyVBH2.jpg

I just got round to looking at it. The body is a bit beaten up, lots of random drilled holes and roll-over damage. The chassis is good though, and the gearbox should be ok once all the solidified grease is cleaned out.

I don’t know that much about this chassis, I’ll put some new radio gear in it and give it some light running. It’ll basically be a shelfer though.

• Like 5

Nice.  I too had that Pajero back in the day. 

Today my 5844 I bought new a few yrs ago  looks like this.  GL with your restoration!! B)

IMG_May282021at65114PM.jpg.2dc60d46a3cf19a15a4c8da01b37d5af.jpg

IMG_May282021at65049PM.jpg.f933fd657cbc45fa824ea0859da705b4.jpg

IMG_May282021at65422PM.jpg.5024eb5445e7a6aee1a060eb594b6b30.jpg

More pictures in my profile page.

• Like 6

First question … does anyone know what motor pinion it uses? I only have a 15 tooth and that doesn’t fit. The manual doesn’t say, and I found articles online saying 18 and 20 tooth … not sure which is correct though.

11 minutes ago, AshRC said:

@Willy iine you found one NIB ?? :blink:

Yeah, a few yrs back.  It was expensive though..  you noticed I am missing a brain.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@AshRC nice!

The Pajero is one of my favourite Tamiya cars, at least visually. I picked up a beaten-up re-re a few weeks ago.

52519270360_2c68ddf644_b.jpg

I’ve already grabbed a new body and will probably order repro decals as it’s one of the few kits I really love as box art. I’m also hoping to fit the more scale rims and tyres.

• Like 1

Broken bodywork cut out and replaced, b-pillars added and many holes filled. I didn't try to repair all the damage.

After primer.

1TSugS2.jpg

• Like 8

Nice work @AshRC!

Those bumpers are a royal pain in the butt to spray with repetitive masking and unmasking.. otherwise end up with brushed marks on silver.  

This was super fiddly to paint, I used 2 whites, 2 silvers, black, red, orange, buff, desert yellow … and grey.

EKQfDyZ.jpg

OiOYaPK.jpg

• Like 11

Next step is decals and interior. @Willy iine - I see you've put clear windows in yours. Tamiya have long since discontinued the glass for this and the Montero, so I'm thinking of getting some 1mm smoked acrylic and making the windows myself. I was wondering if you had any hints / tips from when you did the same?

3 hours ago, AshRC said:

Next step is decals and interior. @Willy iine - I see you've put clear windows in yours. Tamiya have long since discontinued the glass for this and the Montero, so I'm thinking of getting some 1mm smoked acrylic and making the windows myself. I was wondering if you had any hints / tips from when you did the same?

It's actually quite easy to make as the window plane is basically flat.  I do plan to redo the front windshield down the road where I would allow the glass into the frame recess by adding a perimeter frame.. this will allow the glass to sit flush with the window trim.  I just did not have enough polycarbonate material at the time.  :ph34r:

I’m going to have to do that, I used thicker plasticard on the repair to the windscreen surround, so the back won’t be flat any more.

I’ll let you know how I get on …

• Like 1

Finished.

I made the individual windows from 1mm perspex, and added window tint film on everything except the windscreen. I'm not particularly happy with the tint as it's already started to come away around the edges in a few places <_<

I put in a Tamiya 4x4 driver but he looked too small, so in goes Willy. He fits perfectly onto one of the MSC mounts, just needed a little booster cushion B)

0um3uiO.jpg

P7ExtQX.jpg

• Like 8

Awesome @AshRC! My Pajero is the ReRe with the larger wheels. I much prefer the scale wheels and tyres of your version. 

Lovely stuff!

Looks great.  I made some clear glass for one of mine many years ago (camel pajero in my showroom ) . I also made a basic cockpit and fitted a modded Scorcher driver .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KEV THE REV said:

Looks great.  I made some clear glass for one of mine many years ago (camel pajero in my showroom ) . I also made a basic cockpit and fitted a modded Scorcher driver .

I'd like to see that if you have any pictures you can share.  :D 

When I saw this post I remembered that I had a body. After moving house I found him in a box in the attic with other things... It was a few days of searching

Thanks AshRC😊

IMG_20230327_174911.jpg

• Like 2