AshRC

Removing tiny wheel bolts

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this last bolt? The nut is spinning and it’s in a recess so I can’t get needle-nose pliers onto it.

HimBMqC.jpg

I think the same design is used for all three part wheels so this must happen a lot. They’re vintage wheels so I don’t really want to cut them off :(

Brace/jam the nut with a knife blade or similar/safer tool of choice?

or carefully drop a touch of superglue to hold the nut?

• Like 1

Yes, I would drop CA in there as well..being careful not to get it on the threads.  

Last ditch would be to make 2 small holes (I would use pin vise) next to the nut enough to get super narrow needle nose plier jaws in there.  GL!

would you be able to find some small narrow drill bit. if you could maybe drill a hole in the nut material you could possibly jam a hard metal rod/ steel punch pin to hold the nut in place.  a hardened steel punch to fit in a hole between the threads and the edge of the nut might be enough to stabilize the nut. it would be dependent on the drill bit you find but you could scrap a nut and potentially save the wheel. what is the size of bolt is used on that wheel for the nut?

Superglue worked B)

I dripped a tiny amount on two sides of the nut and left it for a couple of hours, and the bolt came straight out.

Thanks everyone. A new set of wheels is only £13 but I’d much rather keep the originals.

• Like 2