svenb

F103 Tyrell P34 strip and hop up

23 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Looks great!! Any pics of the brake light? Whats it wired into as struggling to see what would trigger it on an receiver plug.

Wirings never seem pretty on these as theres a lack of crevices to tuck things into on an F1 chassis, especially without the full length top deck like on the GT or F104 which at least hides the servo and rx wires

It wires into the motor wires, I'll trf and get you a closer photo 

21 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Boooooooo! Hate it when that happens…chassis-build wise, is there that much difference between the f103 / gt / lm? Or is it the overall package including body shell, livery etc that has left you a bit cold?

Like, the 6 wheeler Tyrell does nothing for me, but a 1980s Williams or Camel Lotus 99 hold special places in my heart, and the Porsche GT1 and Audi R8R are just cool 😎 

Not sure , it just looks a bit scruffy 😕

Plus , and this confirms it, I don't like driver figures.

Don't like cockpit sets either, not that I don't appreciate a nicely paint interior I just ....well you know.

I never cut body posts either 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, svenb said:

Don't like cockpit sets either, not that I don't appreciate a nicely paint interior I just ....well you know.

I've not attempted a full cockpit yet, mainly because of the high quality of some of the work on here. My cack-hands just won't be able to achieve those results 

3 minutes ago, svenb said:

I never cut body posts either

Me either, I think they're part of the whole aesthetic 👍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Me either, I think they're part of the whole aesthetic 👍

Absolutely, I still want them to look toy like

Plus leaving the post uncut lets you swap bodies about without having to spend millions on parts trees

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Finished

Not happy with the wiring as it's really tight to get everything under the body. 

DSC_0630.JPG

You might not be happy with it mate, but got to say it looks pretty awesome sitting there, wiring or no wiring!😎

31 minutes ago, svenb said:

Plus leaving the post uncut lets you swap bodies about without having to spend millions on parts trees

100% agree, some of the necessary parts trees for older chassis are ridiculously hard to find

Would love to see this with all black cables cut to length. I think that would really help the upgrades on the chassis stand out.

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

Would love to see this with all black cables cut to length. I think that would really help the upgrades on the chassis stand out.

It probably would look better but I never cut cables either!🙄

@svenb how about some pics to show how the brake light fits with the rear wing assembly - I thought it might just about fit or be a bit tight on space….

3 hours ago, futureworks said:

@svenb how about some pics to show how the brake light fits with the rear wing assembly - I thought it might just about fit or be a bit tight on space….

The light holder pushes the spoiler back by about 3-4mm but fit no problem 

DSC_0705.JPG

That’s really fortuitous given the brake light was originally designed for the earlier F101 cars which had a wire rear wing support which didn’t interfere with being able to screw the brake pod to the rear of the gearbox. Later F101 and the F102 and 103 cars has a one piece plastic rear wing which screwed straight to the rear of the gearbox, with no way of adding this brake light. The Tyrrell, having separate and divided metal wing supports therefore gets around this. Good stuff! More info here about the old wing designs if anyone is interested: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=134774&id=16836

8D370EEA-231E-4ED5-88C5-90EB31F137D7.jpeg

• Like 1

I've also fitted the the brake light to a group c chassis with no issues 👍🏻

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 2:07 PM, svenb said:

Funny you mention that, I took a pic last night 

DSC_0625.JPG

Is there a part number for the blue motor mount?

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Is there a part number for the blue motor mount?

Afraid I don't know, I may have got it from Germany a few years ago. Tried googling it and nothing!

Sorry 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, svenb said:

Afraid I don't know, I may have got it from Germany a few years ago. Tried googling it and nothing!

Sorry 

No worries, I've googled all sorts of variations too and no joy 🤷🏻‍♂️

Found it! 14305612, Seidel have it in stock 🙄 but also looks like Tamico will have it back in again soon 👍

• Like 2

It looks nice and it is true that the F103's old school fiberglass parts look a bit scruffy. It begs for redrawing the part in CAD and getting it cut out of proper carbon fiber. And I don't like driver figures either :) it feels like playing with dolls rather than RC cars! Nothing wrong with an empty cockpit either.

@svenb would you happen to know the outside diameter of the front wheels? I like the Tyrrell and this year's re-re is tempting but without a source for replacement wheels it's just a bit ridiculous on Tamiya's part. It's more of a collector's item for the shelf. I am hoping wheels from the new-ish GT12 1/12 pan classes might work...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

@svenb would you happen to know the outside diameter of the front wheels? I like the Tyrrell and this year's re-re is tempting but without a source for replacement wheels it's just a bit ridiculous on Tamiya's part. It's more of a collector's item for the shelf. I am hoping wheels from the new-ish GT12 1/12 pan classes might work...

42mm sir 👍🏻

What about having the FRP bits all re-made in carbon from Fibrelyte? That might make it more interesting! I had them make up my custom short chassis;

50183328528_d9e84158c0_c.jpg

At least it'll satisfy your OCD with all the weave and lacquer matching!

• Like 2

I could get the front FRP components made up in carbon fibre, but it's not all Tamiya and that's what I try to achieve as much as possible.

Odd time Ive had to use aftermarket such as the T-bar on my F103GT to shorten the wheelbase slightly.

On 2/12/2023 at 8:31 AM, ChrisRx718 said:

What about having the FRP bits all re-made in carbon from Fibrelyte? That might make it more interesting! I had them make up my custom short chassis;

50183328528_d9e84158c0_c.jpg

At least it'll satisfy your OCD with all the weave and lacquer matching!

I remember this one, under a 934 shell right? Very nice.

On 1/17/2023 at 12:05 AM, svenb said:

Pulled the thin lacquer off👍🏻 suits the lower deck.

@svenb how did that upper F103 Carbon Graphite deck (53147) look after you’d peeled off the lacquer - I’m after one of these, but as just about every image I’ve seen of this part seems to show lifting of what looks like either a covering film or lacquer around the screw holes, I’m expecting to have to do as you have done and remove it, so wanted to check it turned out looking good, and that it came away quite easily…

3 hours ago, futureworks said:

@svenb how did that upper F103 Carbon Graphite deck (53147) look after you’d peeled off the lacquer - I’m after one of these, but as just about every image I’ve seen of this part seems to show lifting of what looks like either a covering film or lacquer around the screw holes, I’m expecting to have to do as you have done and remove it, so wanted to check it turned out looking good, and that it came away quite easily…

Hope this helps

Without the lacquer it matches the carbon bottom deck really well.

DSC_0295.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1