Ryz82

It's been too long. Look to see what has/hasn't changed.

After 18+ months of battling cancer, I am finally in a place to start enjoying life again, and what better way than to kick off the coming new year with our favourite hobby.

Looking forward to finally getting stuck into the various ATCC inspired builds I had planned out prior to my diagnosis, and a Frog inspired build also. 

With that in mind, I've noticed in the time that has passed, there are a few new releases or upgrades that have come through the pipeline, so was just wondering ...

Is picking up a TT-02 D kit still the best (most cost effective) point of entry for a reliable basher; being they are (AFAIK still) fully ball raced out the box? 

Are the new? RR or SR variants (replacing the R and S respectively) worth a look at? My original TT-02 was an R kit.

Or is simply going the bog standard 02 and then getting bearings and any other hop-ups separately as required? As it appears, unsurprisingly, prices seem to have also fluctuated quite a bit while I've been out of the game.

• Like 16

Hey Ryz82, good to hear you are bouncing back and getting back into the hobby again. Good stuff mate.

You are right, prices have fluctuated a bit, in NZ at least they seem to have dropped a little compared to six months or so ago so that's good. Depends on which kit you are after though....

As far as the TT02 goes, I spose it depends on your budget and whether you particilarly enjoy upgrading and seeing and performance/handling gains go, or whether you want it to be a rocket out of the box. Personally, I enjoy improving things along the way.  Do whatever makes you smile mate and welcome back :).  

Cheers

Kurt

44 minutes ago, Beetlemankurt said:

Do whatever makes you smile mate and welcome back :)

Thanks

Budget, trying to keep it reasonable, stock is pretty limited here in Aus, the odd Tamiya kit here and there, but nothing consistent stock wise, which means dealing - most likely with RCMart. 

Definitely not looking for rocket out the box, as will be sticking with ST-540 or perhaps TZ or UGT, so the key is really bearings and perhaps some upgraded shocks initially, as still run on some pretty uneven bitumen around here at times.

Ideally would be looking to get everything in one order too, so that was the thought on a D spec - don't care about the drift tires - but coming ball raced already, ideally would help even out the other costs.

• Like 2

Glad you're feeling better and welcome back! Enjoy your hobby again.

Can't say anything about the decision which TT-02 chassis is the best. I've just build a standard TT-02 with very limited hop ups as part of the budget rally build off but have nothing to compare. But I enjoyed the build with tinkering here end there to convert it to a entry level rally car. Have fun whatever you decide.

• Like 1

Never stop fighting!  Check out the TD2 and TD4 line. New cars, go great, and 100 percent Tamiya.

14 hours ago, GTodd said:

Never stop fighting!  Check out the TD2 and TD4 line. New cars, go great, and 100 percent Tamiya.

The Astute has grown on me since its release, but @ $369 AUD it's a bit of steep ask - it's the price of 2 TT-02s over here
I already have the shells ready for the TT-02 so hence the initial question. 

If I was going to go buggy again, the DT-03 (Frog) would be where I'd go to complete my collection, OG, Re-Re and Tam Tech.

Welcome back to TC. Glad to hear that you've conquered this battle over cancer. 

• Like 1

Welcome back, glad to hear you're doing well.

I can't help on the question - the TT02-D was always a cost-effective way of getting a TT02 with the essentials, I'm guessing that's still the case, but might be worth costing up the hopups from stock against the D, RR and SR variants to know how much of a bargain you're getting, and if it's worth going for the racier options.

• Like 2

Welcome back mate, sounds like you've been through the wars, well done on making it through, can only imagine what you've been through,💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

I picked up a TT02 Motul Autech GT-R a while back on eBay, £90 delivered from Germany. There are still some bargains out there, and hopefully some on your side of the world too👍🏻🙂Bearings aren't a massive expense and surely less than wheels and tyres, unless you'd replace the standard (non D version) wheels for something custom anyway.

Good luck with the build and enjoy your return to the hobby!😃🥳🥳

• Like 1

Great to see you back on here! I look forward to some more custom paint discussions very soon!

I’m pretty sure there was a Cosworth of some description waiting in the wings?

• Like 1

Thanks all for the support and wishes.

I think I will just end up piecing these ones together; can find some standard kits for the $168-200 AUD locally (Toyota Supra Racing A80) - stock withstanding - a set of Yeah Racing bearings looks about $25ish AUD on top of that. The cheapest D spec kit I can find is $250ish, which just for the added bearings, and oil shocks, might be a bit much, but having said that, looking locally (AU) I'm struggling to find a set of oil dampers. The Super Mini CVA are available - but having never used them, not sure if they are shorter than the ideal 50/55mm for the TT-01/2 ? Alternatively I can see some Yeah Racing Big Bores available at $70ish AUD which on top of the kit starts pushing me into the D spec territory.

Unfortunately, and I'm not sure if it's just me, but it appears RCMart has changed their website, so the shopping cart no longer gives you a total of all items. Which makes it really hard to then convert to AUD to determine if they are infact still cheaper than locally sourced :(

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nwc100 said:

Great to see you back on here! I look forward to some more custom paint discussions very soon!

I’m pretty sure there was a Cosworth of some description waiting in the wings?

These first builds will traditional, as trying to match some ATCC liveries. But have some ideas to try for other combinations on whatever other shells end up coming with these kits.

Yep, Sierra RS500 in the wings, along with BMW E30 and a EK9 Civic

@Beetlemankurt Whats the store/availability like over there in NZ ? I've stumbled across, is it Hobby Station ? they have some MST rims im keen to pickup, and being just the other side of the ditch and near parity in the dollar, might end up looking there, as opposed to further o/s.

29 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Hi mate, glad to hear you got through such a battle.

Not really helpful, but here is where I get all my bearings these days https://plaig.com.au/?v=6cc98ba2045f

Local seller, good quality, really fast shipping

Cheers, had no idea these guys existed, and sell direct too. Definitely helpful.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

@Beetlemankurt Whats the store/availability like over there in NZ ? I've stumbled across, is it Hobby Station ? they have some MST rims im keen to pickup, and being just the other side of the ditch and near parity in the dollar, might end up looking there, as opposed to further o/s.

Hey mate, a little bit of a mixed bag with availability at the moment but there definately a number of kits etc in stock at various locations. I've bought from Hobby Station a number of times and they have always been good. Bay Hobby supplies, Hobby Clearance, RCNZ, Acorn Hobbies and Rc Hobbies NZ are also all good to deal with. Worth a crack anyway! :D....hope you find what you are after mate.

Cheers

Kurt

10 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

Kurt has already listed the stores but missed speedimodels.nz  Speedi is the local Xpress (red crack) dealer but carries a decent range of Tamiya as well and usually has something on sale. Last week it was the St Dragon for NZD249.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, and I'm not sure if it's just me, but it appears RCMart has changed their website, so the shopping cart no longer gives you a total of all items.

Try logging in first, then you can see cart totals :huh:

• Like 1

can find some standard kits for the $168-200 AUD locally (Toyota Supra Racing A80) - stock withstanding - a set of Yeah Racing bearings looks about $25ish AUD on top of that. The cheapest D spec kit I can find is $250ish

The cheapest Aus kits often have no ESC these days so make sure you understand each listing in detail because it varies a lot by shop and kit. I wouldn't be surprised if both of those kits had no ESC with those prices, whereas a year ago you would have got a tble-02s or tble-04s (pot luck which one) included for about that price.

6 hours ago, droidy said:

The cheapest Aus kits often have no ESC these days so make sure you understand each listing in detail because it varies a lot by shop and kit. I wouldn't be surprised if both of those kits had no ESC with those prices, whereas a year ago you would have got a tble-02s or tble-04s (pot luck which one) included for about that price.

Yeh they are non esc. But easy enough to get locally, think i may even still have a couple of tamiya laying around still.