9 hours ago, Fish Slice said:

Thanks for the info. Interestingly, Modelsport list the (expensive) kit with a wheel base of 312mm on their site, and Traxxas told me for a Defender body (324mm) I would need wheelbase extension (8057) to fit it. 🤷‍♂️

I totally expect either Tamiya CC is not close in capability (and CR-01 to some degree too), but as popular as RTR may, it sadly just doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's a shame Vanquish aren't a reasonably priced option here.

That’s correct. The Traxxas defender is a 110 so it’s long wheelbase. (324mm) so yes you would need the extension kit. The Sport body fits perfectly on the the builders kit apart from the inner fenders that need to be trimmed to fit. Also the bumpers need a bit of trimming. To build a Defender would be quite expensive as the body alone is not cheap, and as you say add on the extension kit and it would be more than an RTR even though you build it yourself!!!

10 hours ago, sosidge said:

The premium kit with electrics is 324mm wheelbase, intended for the defender body mostly, so you need to make a few changes to get the sport body to fit. 

No that’s not correct. The Defender is long Wheelbase you are quite correct but the builders kit is short wheelbase so you would either need the extension kit or fabricate your own new links. The Sport body needs new mounts and the fenders trimmed to fit the builders kit but is the right wheelbase as mine shows. 

15 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Vanquish did have an incredibly good kit deal on before Christmas. 

That particular deal is not there now and I don't know whether their other deals are value for money but I think I concluded you could get it shipped OK. 

Many thanks for sign-posting that thread @BuggyDad, it's really helpful and from someone coming from a similar (anti-RTR) viewpoint. 

Interesting the CR-01 crops up too as I was going to build one of those for fun, but struggled to find some of the Hop-Ups I'd have liked to acquire first so never pulled the trigger on one (but still have some random parts and tyres for one!).

That VS4-10 chassis price is mad cheap! Shame they are not that price all the time!  That thing interests me greatly just on being able to fill it full of servos for a cool transmission!

6 hours ago, Busdriver said:

That’s correct. The Traxxas defender is a 110 so it’s long wheelbase. (324mm) so yes you would need the extension kit. The Sport body fits perfectly on the the builders kit apart from the inner fenders that need to be trimmed to fit. Also the bumpers need a bit of trimming. To build a Defender would be quite expensive as the body alone is not cheap, and as you say add on the extension kit and it would be more than an RTR even though you build it yourself!!!

6 hours ago, Busdriver said:

No that’s not correct. The Defender is long Wheelbase you are quite correct but the builders kit is short wheelbase so you would either need the extension kit or fabricate your own new links. The Sport body needs new mounts and the fenders trimmed to fit the builders kit but is the right wheelbase as mine shows. 

The above two posts are super-helpful thanks @Busdriver.  I did some digging on and found this (https://traxxas.com/news/trx4-body-conversion-guide) which makes sense now based on what you said about the fenders too (and now the wheelbase makes sense).

3 minutes ago, Fish Slice said:

Many thanks for sign-posting that thread @BuggyDad, it's really helpful and from someone coming from a similar (anti-RTR) viewpoint. 

Interesting the CR-01 crops up too as I was going to build one of those for fun, but struggled to find some of the Hop-Ups I'd have liked to acquire first so never pulled the trigger on one (but still have some random parts and tyres for one!).

That VS4-10 chassis price is mad cheap! Shame they are not that price all the time!  That thing interests me greatly just on being able to fill it full of servos for a cool transmission!

The above two posts are super-helpful thanks @Busdriver.  I did some digging on and found this (https://traxxas.com/news/trx4-body-conversion-guide) which makes sense now based on what you said about the fenders too (and now the wheelbase makes sense).

Yes I found that link. There’s quite a bit of useful information on the Traxxas website