Joe Bo

New Releases for Nuremberg 2023 - Fiat 500 Abarth and Golf Mk2 GTI Rally

56 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Smashed it out of the park with the BBX. Fabulous looking thing. 

Agreed!

2 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I think you may be right. For some reason I had an idea that they'd make something module where you could shift the engine and rear wheels around, so you'd put the engine in the front or back, or what the steering could be swapped around, but probably not. I'd be keen to see a photo of the chassis.

Not seen a photo yet but..

New MB-01 Chassis

• Length: 322mm, width: 163mm. Wheelbase: 209mm (S) / 224mm (M) / 239mm (L) (*).
• The multi-purpose, 2WD MB-01 chassis gives choices of three types of wheelbase (*), and front- or rearwheel drive system. Six setups are available in total.
• Simply change attachment directions of final gears and steering linkage to switch between front- and rearwheel drive; low or high motor position can be chosen for rear-wheel drive cars.

I'm not sure why they would choose to do this. Will it replace the M07 and M08? Or be priced to sit below them?

EDIT: Answered my own question. Is priced well below the Giulia M-06 / slightly above the M-05 2CV at Tamico

117 vs 133 / 111 Euro

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-58721-Fiat-Abarth-1000TCR-MB-01-Kit

I guess the M07 / M08 will remain as dedicated race chassis and this replaces the M-05 and M-06.

I'm going to have to get one, aren't I...?

...and put the Golf body on it and paint it dark green like my mate's MkII GTi back in the day.

EDIT: chassis pic removed as better one below :D

• Like 2

The modular side of the MB01 looks really interesting, the motor being mounted longitudinally is not something I thought they'd do, really cool.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Joe Bo said:

motor being mounted longitudinally

I don't think it is on the MB-01, however looking a bit better at the drawing you're right :D

Slightly better picture from Tamiyablog. Didn't expect this layout. 

It looks like whole bathtub is flipped to switch from FWD to RWD... How much work would it take to make it AWD? 😁

20230201_131641_tamiyablog.jpg

• Thanks 3

It looks like the M08 method of shortening / lengthening the wheelbase has been adopted. I really like it.

Tamico lists that it will be available at the end of June  - plenty of time to save up!

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

low or high motor position can be chosen for rear-wheel drive

Maybe the battery can get under the motor if it's in "high" position on the rear?

16 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Maybe the battery can get under the motor if it's in "high" position on the rear?

Unlikely as the servo is on the other side to the motor and the battery is mounted transverse, across the chassis.

Motor position is maybe adjustable for use on different surface / circuits - high vs low grip / long vs short and twisty?

Similar to the TA-07 where motor position is used to change the belt tension?

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58636/index.htm

EDIT: or maybe for ground clearance like the rear of an F103?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I think the 992 looks great! My Porsche knowledge isnt all that strong, I just go with what my eyes like the look of :)

I have nothing against the 992 either, although my real enthusiasm for the 911 ended with the 993 (last aircooled). My previous comment wasn't against the 992, but more to point out that the body design really didn't change much from the 997, through the 991 to the 992. The only really ugly 911 is the 996, in my humble opinion.

My concern with the MB-01 Is that it appears that the whole chassis and drivetrain are flipped to change from FWD to RWD. Or another way of looking at it would be that the steering apparatus is moved from one end of the chassis to the other. Great for making it 4WS - you just get a second set of steering apparatus and attach it to the non-steering end, as with the WT-01 for example.

However they took this approach with the M-01/M-02, and it had the drawback that you needed a zero timed or reverse timed motor half the time, since in one configuration the car went forwards with standard rotation, and in the other it went backwards. I hope there is some wizardry in the gearbox that allows standard rotation and timing for both configurations. Maybe by flipping the diff?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Anyone in the mood for the big white blob Toyota land cruiser 300 on CC-02? I'm already fan of the BBX and would really like to see some of the MB-01.

No interest whatsoever for the Land cruiser 300...

I reckon the Land Cruiser 300 is mainly aimed at the domestic market, but it's absolutely nothing for me.

What also bothers me with that model and several other CC-02's (Unimog, Defender Land Cruiser 40) are the included tires (originating from the CC-01 Wrangler). Rubbish onroad and offroad, so except for shelf queen purposes, other tires are virtually a must.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TurnipJF said:

My concern with the MB-01 Is that it appears that the whole chassis and drivetrain are flipped to change from FWD to RWD. Or another way of looking at it would be that the steering apparatus is moved from one end of the chassis to the other. Great for making it 4WS - you just get a second set of steering apparatus and attach it to the non-steering end, as with the WT-01 for example.

However they took this approach with the M-01/M-02, and it had the drawback that you needed a zero timed or reverse timed motor half the time, since in one configuration the car went forwards with standard rotation, and in the other it went backwards. I hope there is some wizardry in the gearbox that allows standard rotation and timing for both configurations. Maybe by flipping the diff?

I thought I read "540 motor" rather than TT, which might suggest silver can, and therefor zero timing...but could be looking too much into it.

I was really hopping we'd get something 4WD with a front motor, like a mini XV01 or something with front motor real wheel drive option, that would have been awesome. This might still be awesome, but probably not for me.

I do also wonder if you could stick two together to make a double motor 4WD 4WS beast?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Flipping the diff is all they need for correct motor rotation.

I'm more concerned about weight distribution. The battery is very far back/front in this (i'm assuming it's short) config

I wonder if they will discontinue m05/06… tamiyausa instagram explicitly said it wwill not replace m07/08.. hmm 

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

From the Tamiya listing (posted by the rcracer and others)

• Simply change attachment directions of final gears and steering linkage to switch between front- and rearwheel drive; low or high motor position can be chosen for rear-wheel drive cars.

With regard to the motor position, have you had experience of this with the F103 to change the ride height?  I wondered if there was something similar going on here.

Abarth body first. I’m sure the Alfa Giulia GTA will follow next on MB01

• Like 1

I put RWD and FWD next to each other to check the difference.

Looks like only difference between FWD and RWD is the steering linkage. It even uses the same steering bridge on the rear axle 

IMG_20230201_234753.jpg

• Like 4

I like the idea behind the MB-01 (nevermind the terrific Abarth body) and I do anticipate some interesting custom builds with them. My only concerns are if it'll remain a simple build or end up overly complex, and how heavy/light it'll be. My m06 is a bit heavier than my older "clam shell" M-chassis.

The new buggy looks really cool, fits in line with older Tamiyas while being entirely new.

The fact that the Golf is on the MF-01X chasdid rather than the M05RA makes me wonder if Tamiya might be canning the M05 soon.

A lot to be excited about this year.

Even a CC02 Landcruiser 40 kit!  They apparently changed the window stickers so now they're all tinted, which seems like a backwards step.  The roofrack with lights and wheels from the Bronco suit it really well.  One website even said it comes with a cockpit and driver, but that must be an error.

The little Alfa looks great with the new livery.  I guess they changed the Alfa paint job so they wouldn't have to bring back the grey paint.  No artwork on the box either which is a shame.  Interesting chassis and I hope it's a good build.

Golf body is almost a mandatory buy.

Here it is. And I must say, I don't really like it. It looks very messy and complicated, especially compared to the M-07 and M-08 chassis. 

OtYZLQj.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Here it is. And I must say, I don't really like it. It looks very messy and complicated, especially compared to the M-07 and M-08 chassis.

Agreed, I think they made too many compromises with this layout, only to make FWD/RWD switch easier.

They could've reused M05 or M07 chassis basic shape, allow steering of the rear axle and then switch between 3 and 4 gear layout to reverse motor direction - something similar to what xray did with XB2

IMG_20230202_111222.jpg