matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

So….what do we think it is then?

new off road buggy? Truck? Beach Buggy?

• Like 1

Ooh! A new beach buggy would be epic. Sand rail looks combined with modern day handling, I'm hooked already :D Padla track tires, wide for the rear and small in front fitted on new rims, mmm. One can dream right?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Ooh! A new beach buggy would be epic. Sand rail looks combined with modern day handling, I'm hooked already :D Padla track tires, wide for the rear and small in front fitted on new rims, mmm. One can dream right?

What led me that way was the listing of plated wheels as part of the parts listing, seems appropriate.

• Like 1

Yes yes yes. A modern take on something like the Rough Rider or Wild One, but using modern fibre-reinforced plastics with a full LED light kit option. That would be epic. I know other companies do something similar (like Team Associated), but although the plastics are great they usually end up whacking on a tribal designed Tupperware tub as a body. NO ONE does 'scale' like Tamiya.

• Like 7

I tried to google BBX buggy and the images pulls up was BoomerBuggy X 😂 

looks like a minion on wheels lol.

Anyway, can’t wait to see what it is.

050A46F1-34A3-4D32-A865-26362A5BE1B3.jpeg

• Haha 12

10 hours ago, matisse said:

Beach Buggy?

Beach buggy! I was wondering why would Tamiya make another buggy chassis. Now it makes sense 😀

I looked through few manuals to see, which chassis could be converted to a buggy, if it had A-parts, C-parts and D-parts replaced - and it lines up with TC-01. A bit weird, but with a beach buggy body, it would make sense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JYCM3 said:

Remember this is Tamiya we’re talking about hear, anything is possible including this!!

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

EPIC INDEED! I presume this is all idle speculation but I would be so in for one of those.

13 hours ago, toyolien said:

Yes yes yes. A modern take on something like the Rough Rider or Wild One, but using modern fibre-reinforced plastics with a full LED light kit option. That would be epic. I know other companies do something similar (like Team Associated), but although the plastics are great they usually end up whacking on a tribal designed Tupperware tub as a body. NO ONE does 'scale' like Tamiya.

And this. So this! Those two are iconic Tamiya for me - I'd buy into the personality of that kind of thing in a heartbeat but I'm not that interested in rereleased old geometries, materials etc. Wild One is perhaps the model that evokes Tamiya nostalgia for me more than anything and yet I still didn't buy one. 

It would be an interesting challenge to design such a thing though; arguably some of the performance downsides are also key parts of the scale design?

• Like 2

It's a Blitzer Beetle Xtreme - basically a TRF Blitzer with lexan shell, tons of heavy blue, costs 3 times what a normal BB would and doesn't include an ESC, motor, wheels, tires, tyres, or a driver figure although, weirdly, will contain the driver sprue from the Buggy Champ.

It'll be an already-discontinued limited edition available only to employees of Tamiya Guatemala and will ship on a plain box each illustrated with a hand-drawn sketch of the kit by Jun Watanabe.

Probably

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 16

11 minutes ago, Ministrone said:

Could be a Tamiya kit with Ball Bearings. :D

You’re living a fantasy, mate! See previous posts for far more realistic scenarios.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Belt drive buggy.  A modern Durga.  That’s my guess…

Yes please 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JYCM3 said:

11 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Remember this is Tamiya we’re talking about hear, anything is possible including this!!

Don’t know why this made me laugh so much, but if they did actually make this thing I’m buying one :lol:

• Haha 2

So soon after the TD4/2 would they normally release another new buggy chassis? 

12 minutes ago, ImALlama said:

Don’t know why this made me laugh so much, but if they did actually make this thing I’m buying one :lol:

It has a bit of a Tamiya look about it. Stick that on a touring chassis, extra weight down low and the world's thinnest lexan shell. Corner like it's on rails. 

I reckon that they will be ultra-simple chassis along the lines of the RC Boys models of old, but capable of taking standard bodies. The main chassis will probably be shared between the different versions, with different bulkheads and suspension components used to change wheelbase and track width so that it can be built as a touring car, mini or buggy. 

I wondered whether the 'BB' could stand for Blockhead Buggy? Rather than Jun putting a spin on a Tamiya classic, he's created his own verion of an 80's style beach buggy.

I can but dream....

• Like 1

Bits listed:

22068 BB-01 Dogbone Shafts (2 Pcs.)
22069 BB-01 Aluminum Front Uprights
22070 BB-01 Aluminum Servo Stays
22071 BB-01 Aluminum Slipper Clutch Set
51711 BB-01 A-Parts (Front Bumper Stay) (2 Pcs.)
51712 BB-01 C-Parts (Front Uprights) (2 Pcs.)
51713 BB-01 D-Parts (Suspension Arms) (2 Pcs.)
51714 48 Pitch Spur Gear (86T)
51715 Buggy Wheels (Plated) (4 Pcs.)
51716 Buggy Front Tires (2 Pcs.)
51717 Buggy Rear Tires (2 Pcs.)

The key one for me is the clutch.

Edit - with the rumoured return of a TRF race team, maybe the TD4 wasn't a good enough base for a TRF buggy... ( https://kentech.wordpress.com/2022/11/28/trf-race-team-comeback/

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Hmmmm. I am getting interested now..... 

Same….the slipper caught my eye when it was first released.

The plated wheels still scream hobby buggy or beach buggy, but still, im very interested 

6 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

Bits listed:

22068 BB-01 Dogbone Shafts (2 Pcs.)
22069 BB-01 Aluminum Front Uprights
22070 BB-01 Aluminum Servo Stays
22071 BB-01 Aluminum Slipper Clutch Set
51711 BB-01 A-Parts (Front Bumper Stay) (2 Pcs.)
51712 BB-01 C-Parts (Front Uprights) (2 Pcs.)
51713 BB-01 D-Parts (Suspension Arms) (2 Pcs.)
51714 48 Pitch Spur Gear (86T)
51715 Buggy Wheels (Plated) (4 Pcs.)
51716 Buggy Front Tires (2 Pcs.)
51717 Buggy Rear Tires (2 Pcs.)

Where are these being listed? My web searches are turning up nil.

On 12/22/2022 at 9:34 AM, Frog Jumper said:

Belt drive buggy.  A modern Durga.  That’s my guess…

Please, please be a “modern enough” belt-drive wheeler with a pretty body…

• Like 3