matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

I agree. However, (correct me if I'm wrong but) I'd have thought the low and wide and lighter and double wishbone Kyosho (plus perhaps COG not so far back?) will blow it out of the water in terms of performance?

Thats not to say I don't fancy it. It looks awesome. I just doubt they're meant to be the same thing/class? 

Yeah, this is pure Tamiya.  It is a Model, that is also suitable for radio control.  The Kyosho Dirt Master is an RC race chassis with a vintage-like shell.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

And I’m also excited how the battery has to be de-/installed.

Same as DT-03, it looks like. 

11 minutes ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

And I’m also excited how the battery has to be de-/installed.

I was wondering that - this body clip concerns me 

Loving it otherwise, proper retro-mod mix 👍

Screenshot_20230201_152221_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

The pin actually lets the whole drive mount raise up to let the battery in.  It took a couple watches of the video to realize that. :D   So bearings, hex hardware, 12mm hex wheels...  but that price...

I like it. I won't buy it at the current price, but will probably pick it up once discounts kick in.

I'm also interested to see where the chassis gets used next. Something in the space of a scale "real" stadium truck looks like it could be even better. As someone else said, a bug is surely a given.

17 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

The pin actually lets the whole drive mount raise up to let the battery in.  

Be interesting to see how the body is held in place then, hope its not just these screws

Screenshot_20230201_154531_Chrome.jpg

4 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

Be interesting to see how the body is held in place then, hope its not just these screws

It's Tamiya!  I'm sure they can come up with something WAY more complicated than that!  :lol:

• Haha 4

I like the general look of it (and all the throwback design cues from old cars) but wondering about a few things...

Is the rear camber angle adjustable? (or will it be with aftermarket parts?)

What's with the big funky motor cooler shroud (a la TD2/4 turned backwards) and where is the intake for it?

Is a super low profile servo required or will there be alternate mounts for a standard one?

Will the bellcranks be mounted on ball bearings?

And lastly WHY a ball diff?? GAH. Slipper clutch + gear diff has been proven stronger and easier to work on + less maintenance.

13 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

Screenshot_20230201_154531_Chrome.jpg

I'm guessing it must be sides screwed onto the cage/chassis and that's why the top bonnet/hood is a separate panel, to allow easy access to the battery.

• Like 1

This always makes me chuckle - no ESC included, yet they insist in picturing a ESC with  a Tamiya connector and an adaptor lead for the battery connector 

Saw it on one of their recent touring chassis kits too 😄

Screenshot_20230201_160022_Chrome.jpg

Just now, Kol__ said:

I'm guessing it must be sides screwed onto the cage/chassis and that's why the top bonnet/hood is a separate panel, to allow easy access to the battery.

No doubt,  just curious what's holding the top panel down as that needs removing to slide out the battery hold-down pin

Hmm nice looking buggy but not 100% sure considering the street price(299euro?). Will have to wait and see. (Also save up $$ in case i want it)

The rear suspension - is it a straight trailing arm or something slightly different (egress type)? I'd expect the arm to have a front inner mount to keep it from rolling side to side but I can't see any part of the arm heading that way, and by the rear hub there is a bit more going on - maybe a top arm/link? 

Yeah, this:

Screenshot_20230201_162932_Chrome

Suggests a pair of parallel links. Allows room to widen it, potentially. 

• Like 1

If I would buy a 2wd buggy, this would definitely be the one. Love the looks of it, 80s looking buggy with the large rear suspension arms. Nice!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

I agree. However, (correct me if I'm wrong but) I'd have thought the low and wide and lighter and double wishbone Kyosho (plus perhaps COG not so far back?) will blow it out of the water in terms of performance?

Thats not to say I don't fancy it. It looks awesome. I just doubt they're meant to be the same thing/class? 

Yep, I’m just taking about the look of it. I’m sure the Kyosho is going to be a great performer, I just think it looks bland.

I thought this was a Lego kit.  :lol:  So much plastic reminds me of @Saito2's thread.  

Where are the premium buggies man..what the heck.

• Haha 1

Fantastic looking modern version of an SRB. Tamiya is finally listening.. even has hex screws!

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I thought this was a Lego kit.  :lol:  So much plastic reminds me of @Saito2's thread.  

Where are the premium buggies man..what the heck.

Aren't they pretty much Tamiya plastic company? I would assume most builds would be 99% plastic (although nice plastic is nice!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Aren't they pretty much Tamiya plastic company? I would assume most builds would be 99% plastic (although nice plastic is nice!)

Haha, good point!  :lol:

I know several key reviewers in Japan mentioned about mid-grade buggies evolving.. for bashing at home..which is nice.  Just not what I want right now.  

• Like 1

Agreed, this is what Tamiya do and do best for them. If i want to build an aluminium ladder frame then i know to get a kyosho rere kitas an alternative

• Like 1

This is definitely what a lot of folk have wanted for a while, me included. Very excited about this.

Mount for a spare wheel on the back and also possibly wing mounts as well?

This might not be a day one for me but I will definitely have one at some point. Heaps of aftermarket potential as well. Hope it’s a hit as it deserves to be. 

Im looking forward to finding out what the Tamiya eccentricity’s are!

• Like 1

I'm not interested in getting it, but I think this looks fabulous. It really looks like an old school buggy, but made to more modern specs. 

The name is awful, it sounds like a star wars character. It half looks like they were going for Rough Ride, but then chickened out.

Personally I would love to see Tamiya really lean into the vintage stuff, not by re-releasing the old chassis (although that is nice) but completely redoing them, whilst keeping the old bodies (or at least an option to fit the older bodies). I would love to see the Rough Ride, Wild Ones, Japanese Super Hornet, Maxhopper etc. keeping that sprit alive but making buggies that are just more modern. 

• Thanks 1