matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

10 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Personally I would love to see Tamiya really lean into the vintage stuff, not by re-releasing the old chassis (although that is nice) but completely redoing them, whilst keeping the old bodies (or at least an option to fit the older bodies). I would love to see the Rough Ride, Wild Ones, Japanese Super Hornet, Maxhopper etc. keeping that sprit alive but making buggies that are just more modern. 

Kinda like the Super Avante and Astute 2022?  :lol:

Sorry... couldn't resist...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Kinda like the Super Avante and Astute 2022?  :lol:

Sorry... couldn't resist...

:D

Well, had they been able to take the old bodies I think many more people would have forgiven them! I feel that perhaps they were felt as "in name only" whereas I was imagining something that at first glance looked like a grasshopper, but has trailing arms, double wishbone front suspension etc.

The WR02 made to take a Pumpkin is the kind of thing I'm thinking about. It's annoying you have to decide between amazing 80s looks and modern drivability (although I am enjoying the CW01) or mod it yourself. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Agreed, this is what Tamiya do and do best for them. If i want to build an aluminium ladder frame then i know to get a kyosho rere kitas an alternative

Yeah, I already have those and the reason why my buggies are mostly vintage rere's including Tamiya's (Avante/Egress/TF Evo).

This buggy is nice, but I was hoping they would also include an evolved TD4 Super Egress with CF deck or something more inline with premium class as well in their release.   Maybe next time.  B)

If this was £250 with a slipper clutch included I would pre-order. But as it stands I'll wait and see if it has any of the durability issues the TD4/2 have had.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kol__ said:

I'm guessing it must be sides screwed onto the cage/chassis and that's why the top bonnet/hood is a separate panel, to allow easy access to the battery.

That's the way I see it.  If you look close in the photo of the body panels, you can see Velcro on the top portion of the side panels that line up with the overlapping top panel.  I'd assume Velcro on the underside of the top panel hold it in place so you can remove it without the need for tools to get at the battery.   I think it's a good design.  

BBX.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, toyolien said:

What would you have like to seen from Tamiya?

A legit question.

I mean, its very on brand for them and is even ticking a lot of the boxes that we always ask for, alloy dampers/hex screws/UJs/hex wheels…

But….i dunno. I guess this style of buggy never did anything for me, and I was hoping for something different, not just a souped up version of the RR/SC.

51 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Anyone know if the body panels are pre-painted? 

I’d like to know this too. If it’s unpainted I’ll definitely buy one although the blue / white is crying out for a Rothmans cigarette livery.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, matisse said:

A legit question.

I mean, its very on brand for them and is even ticking a lot of the boxes that we always ask for, alloy dampers/hex screws/UJs/hex wheels…

But….i dunno. I guess this style of buggy never did anything for me, and I was hoping for something different, not just a souped up version of the RR/SC.

Fair comment and I know what you mean. I really like it but just hope it holds up to brushless etc... I'm also very excited about the Kyosho Dirt Master. When I started out in RC I was hooked on the 2wd race buggies of the late 80's early 90's and the Dirt Master takes me back to then. I also wish Traxxas would release the TRX1.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

The rear suspension - is it a straight trailing arm or something slightly different (egress type)? I'd expect the arm to have a front inner mount to keep it from rolling side to side but I can't see any part of the arm heading that way, and by the rear hub there is a bit more going on - maybe a top arm/link? 

Couple of arms holding side to side.  edit: built in tail light too?

spacer.png

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Fair comment and I know what you mean. I really like it but just hope it holds up to brushless etc... I'm also very excited about the Kyosho Dirt Master. When I started out in RC I was hooked on the 2wd race buggies of the late 80's early 90's and the Dirt Master takes me back to then. I also wish Traxxas would release the TRX1.

My thoughts exactly! Id love a new version of a 90s style 2wd. The Astute 22 was a miss in this regards and that’s what has been under catered for in the re-re line up over the years. Weve seen roughly a million SRB/DF01 or hot/thundershot releases but never the madcap or king cab? Its weird.

Anyway, its gonna sell so its a job well done by them.

4 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

Couple of arms holding side to side.

spacer.png

Yeah. The modification options, if you 3d printed a different trailing arm, could be interesting. Maybe even just a spares box mod of slightly longer links and drive shaft on the kit trailing arm, to increase both toe in and width together. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Yeah. The modification options, if you 3d printed a different trailing arm, could be interesting. Maybe even just a spares box mod of slightly longer links and drive shaft on the kit trailing arm, to increase both toe in and width together. 

Im guessing thats what the swing arm option part is for, varying the length of the drive axle

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ministrone said:

I’d like to know this too. If it’s unpainted I’ll definitely buy one although the blue / white is crying out for a Rothmans cigarette livery.

Tamiya US just added a listing for the BBX.   I'm going to guess the the body panels need painted per below bullet point:

Requires 2-channel radio, steering servo, 540 motor, ESC, 7.2-7.4volt battery with compatible charger and Tamiya PS paint to complete.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/-road-buggies/rc-bbx/bb-01/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Tamiya US just added a listing for the BBX.

• Transmission uses the TA06 rear oil-filled gear differential which allows the use of many existing Grade-Up parts.

Make up your minds Tamiya!! The box art says ball diff!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Tigerdriver said:

Its pure Tamiya , love it

The more I think about it, the more I echo this sentiment. I think Tamiya really listened to some of the suggestions we've put forth in numerous threads over the years. After the styling I personally found so offbeat, questionable and divisive in the earlier TD4 and TD2 buggy releases, this BBX is right in my wheelhouse. Sorry Kyosho, but I think that Dirt Master money will be going toward a BBX. At least I know Tamiya will eventually get stock out there. 

• Like 10

Surprised to see they actually went for a quasi-scale look, I was convinced they were going for a more budget car.

I wonder if they are gonna use the platform for more models, or it's gonna be a one-off.

I think Tamiya will have hit with this one (it'll be on my wish list). I do wonder if they'll do anything else with the chassis though.

• Like 3

I can imagine the Sand Scorcher and Ford Ranger being released on the BB-01 platform.  Especially the trucks due to the 283mm wheelbase.

43 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

The more I think about it, the more I echo this sentiment. I think Tamiya really listened to some of the suggestions we've put forth in numerous threads over the years. After the styling I personally found so offbeat, questionable and divisive in the earlier TD4 and TD2 buggy releases, this BBX is right in my wheelhouse. Sorry Kyosho, but I think that Dirt Master money will be going toward a BBX. At least I know Tamiya will eventually get stock out there. 

Agree 100%. The Dirt Master is just an RB5 with a vintage style body slapped on it, very unlike Kyosho to be honest.

This here is what majority on this site have been asking for years. An entirely new chassis, vintage feel, TRF dampers, CVDs, Hex Screws, New wheels and Tyres, Brushless, even a driver figure. Tamiya has finally listened and it’s Christmas in January lads! 

• Like 11

Now I'm excited for 2023. This one, Boomerang and the Nova Fox. I'd like to say my last three I'll purchase, but I don't believe myself.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

Agree 100%. The Dirt Master is just an RB5 with a vintage style body slapped on it, very unlike Kyosho to be honest.

This here is what majority on this site have been asking for years. An entirely new chassis, vintage feel, TRF dampers, CVDs, Hex Screws, New wheels and Tyres, Brushless, even a driver figure. Tamiya has finally listened and it’s Christmas in January lads! 

It’s February 

• Haha 6