matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

I think considering the last few new releases didn't have much appeal to me this looks even better than ever. I like the vintage race buggy look and I like the tube plastic chassis. 

I just love how solid and chunky those wheels and tires are. The trailing arm rear end is super neat also. 

For me the BBX looks to be a great successor to the classic Tamiya buggies. I cant really think of another time when a new release got the classic Tamiya feel. Maybe when the F350 highlift came out as a new version of the original three speeds. BBX might be too little too late for some, but I will be glad to get my hands on one. Im excited to see more along these lines in the future. I also want a nitro version. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, matisse said:

It’s February 

Oh ye 😂😂😂😂

• Like 2

It seems that the majority of us are fans of the BBX. I wonder if we’d have reacted the same if Tamiya had named it Super Fighting Buggy or Super Champ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ministrone said:

It seems that the majority of us are fans of the BBX. I wonder if we’d have reacted the same if Tamiya had named it Super Fighting Buggy or Super Champ?

I think overall it still would have been positive as its a new platform that seems to have had a lot of thought put into it. 

• Like 1

As soon as I saw the pictures on Facebook, I knew there had to be new fans on TamiyaClub :D I for one will be looking forward to attempting to save up for one!

Although I am surprised that, after everything Tamiya put into this kit that we have been wanting for some time (i.e. a genuinely new release with ball bearings, oil-filled dampers, performance parts compatibility, and a driver figure), there are still a fair number of people who do not like it.

More BBXs for us who do, I guess!

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Ministrone said:

Nope, 100% hate if that happened.  ;):lol:

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Anyone else notice the shock bleeders?   Nice touch.  

BBX 2.jpg

The rear bodies look very similar to the hopup set for the CC02 - but completely agree the caps with bleed screws are a nice touch, fingers crossed I can put some of those caps on the DF03 dampers I've got on the TD2

^ also is that a transponder mount above that?

Man a full class of these would be good fun

A newly designed, modern version of this old pig, give it to me any day😂

Hz3Nl7V.jpeg

m2FQCDo.jpeg

(sorry I know there are lovers of the classic above, it's just never been one for me)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Pleasantly suprised it doesnt have the star dish wheel and tyre combo a la DT02 etc which have been continually recycled a million times

Yo always gots to be hatin' on 'dem Starry Dishy wheely thangs SL!😂

(Personally I love them, classic 90's Tamiya buggy, started with the Super Astute I believe?)

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Kol__ said:

Yo always gots to be hatin' on 'dem Starry Dishy wheely thangs SL!😂

(Personally I love them, classic 90's Tamiya buggy, started with the Super Astute I believe?)

Thats true! I really cant be abidin them. Every kit ive had  with them, they have to go

• Haha 3

Can't say I'm a fan. It's really retro and it was hit by a graphics cannon. 

I'm sure it will be popular, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

The rear bodies look very similar to the hopup set for the CC02 - but completely agree the caps with bleed screws are a nice touch, fingers crossed I can put some of those caps on the DF03 dampers I've got on the TD2

The shocks are aeration type, means the air and oil is mixed. So yes it bleeds excess oil, but the shocks have to have air in them or they don’t work. The DF03 is airless type with a bladder separating the air and oil. 

if you want a set of aeration (emulsion) shocks for your TD2 then that’s what the big bore race dampers are.  

Its pretty much a short course buggy but has that Tamiya flair to it. Not crazy about the chrome wheels (wish they went with the satin chrome) but really like the rest!

My question is, what is the scale? It looks bigger than regular buggy’s? 

I’m liking it a lot.

I think it will, as mentioned earlier, appeal to a wide spectrum of enthusiasts.

Classic style with more modern capabilities, looks as good without the body on  as with it.

Without gives many options for personal customisation.

I think I can hear the likes of the Blockhead boys scribbling away ideas already.

Swap the wheels out, add lights.

Add some Rothmans stickers.

Or some nice juicy Aluminium panels and/or minimalist wing for a Sand Rail type look.

Or just build it as it is.

And at least it’s not just another TT01/2 😃

• Like 8

I like the look of this. I think they're 10 years too late though - how many people 10 years ago would've picked this up for them as a modern take on a classic to run with their kids? The SRB isn't really an option when their kids have a DT03 but this would be brilliant.

I probably won't get one for a while though as I can't really justify more cars (how often have you heard that one)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm still trying to figure out which stars aligned to cause then to release a vehicle with bearings as standard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Ministrone said:

There would be pages and pages of back and forth how it should have not been named the Super Champ Fighting Buggy. See TD4 Super Avante thread. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, just saw this, and wasn't quite prepared for that... Way to go Tamiya 😃 finally, this looks awesome, and a very interesting new platform. I think it's the first time I get so excited by a brand new buggy release. Maybe it will come with some top level box art like the TD4!

Edit: it does!

Edited by Ferruz
  • Like 8

49 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

There would be pages and pages of back and forth how it should have not been named the Super Champ Fighting Buggy. See TD4 Super Avante thread. :D

Maybe, but I'd argue that this is more in the spirit of the buggy it's meant to evoke than the Avante's "slap an iconic name on an unrelated new buggy" maneuver.

This looks really nice. I love the retro looks and the fact that it looks like a real thing made on the planet Earth. Thank you, Tamiya!! 

I wish they had something like this in their lineup when I returned to the hobby in 2020. Then it would have been a nobrainer. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kol__ said:

A newly designed, modern version of this old pig, give it to me any day😂

Hz3Nl7V.jpeg

m2FQCDo.jpeg

(sorry I know there are lovers of the classic above, it's just never been one for me)

😱 I feel like I’ve just been bashed up by the school bully!!

All good though, life would be boring if we all liked the same thing 😉

P.S have you been struck by lightning yet?

• Haha 8