matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

19 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Because of this, I'm now torn in between the BBX or the Kyosho Turbo Scorpion as my next purchase. I really like the TS and still on a hunt at a decent price. What I also like about the TS is the stock parts that come with it and doesn't seem need any upgrades out of the box. Unlike Tamiya, which is a typical money-trap when it comes to hop-ups. I don't have as many RCs as many of you have here but I'm a sucker for hop-ups to which all my kits have been treated well with upgrades. :lol: So I'm curious about the hop-up parts for this new model. 

Get both my friend! 

• Like 2

Love the classic buggy vibe, trailing arm rear suspension, and hex screws! This is what I like to see from Tamiya. I just hate the fact that they’re debuting this beauty at a time when the basic cost of living is skyrocketing.
It appears to be mostly plastic, but in my opinion a lot of Tamiya re-re kits with plastic shocks and bushings are way overpriced considering that the R&D and much of the tooling took place 30+ years ago. 
This is a brand new design with aluminum shocks and bearings so I won’t hold my breath, but If it’s priced in the $250-300 range I’ll strongly consider  getting one.

• Like 4

On 2/2/2023 at 12:18 AM, Falcon#5 said:

I'm totally digging this. B)

Love the Super Champ-esque initial styling.

Front & rear suspension is screaming some kind of upcoming 'Nova Falcon'.

Also having a similar front suspension & the caged body has a Bear Hawk feel to it...

Time will tell I guess.

9 hours ago, kontemax said:

No one noticed that the suspension scheme is the same of The Falcon?

Max

I think @Falcon#5 was suggesting exactly this?

9 hours ago, kontemax said:

No one noticed that the suspension scheme is the same of The Falcon?

Max

I think a lot of us noticed but ignored it because..( pauses for emphasis and to let the moment sink in)….The Falcon is a deeply overrated car,  perhaps the most overrated car T has ever made. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, matisse said:

The Falcon is a deeply overrated car,  perhaps the most overrated car T has ever made. 

Oposite for me_ one of the most underrated cars, especially from the suspension point of view. When I think of the front suspension of Frog and consorts from that time, the Falcon was much better.
From this I can well imagine that the front suspension on the BBX should perform quite well. 
Based on the video that has circulated so far, it does not look bad.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

58D5DB2F-FC61-4E53-A77F-827EA100C65F.jpeg

Thanks, good to see it next to a Hotshot for a size comparison. I can really see myself getting one of these and just going totally custom on it, with paint job, sticker design and different wheels and tyres.

However, at £300 it's a touch too much imo. A 2021 Top Force EVO is only £50 more and that's a way, way higher spec car. I know the two buggies are completely different and made for different purposes, and one being a much older design, but from a value perspective I think it's an interesting point to make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

Thanks, good to see it next to a Hotshot for a size comparison. I can really see myself getting one of these and just going totally custom on it, with paint job, sticker design and different wheels and tyres.

However, at £300 it's a touch too much imo. A 2021 Top Force EVO is only £50 more and that's a way, way higher spec car. I know the two buggies are completely different and made for different purposes, and one being a much older design, but from a value perspective I think it's an interesting point to make.

Once the initial excitement eases perhaps it'll get discounted down to say the mid £200? Top Force was probably priced higher at this point?

Or... 

Is it genuinely a much tougher proposition than most Tamiyas, able to take more of a beating? Bit more of a "basher" if you will? I don't know whether this is the case at all, but the front arms look stocky. If it is the case it's a slightly different proposition. 

But yeah, I don't think it's for me at £300 either. There was a conversation about whether folk wanted carbon and aluminium high end materials or decent design in plastic and there was appeal to both, but implicit in the plastic camp is the assumption that it's a good bit cheaper. This seems priced with the Ultima. 

That may be a reference to my "aesthetic" thread. Personally, I was pointing out that I just miss carbon decks/shock towers and brighter colored anodized shocks on racing type buggies found in the late 80's/early 90's vs the blobs of carbon-reinforced plastic ones we have today. This BBX isn't that and I have no qualms about its mostly plastic construction. In this instance, plastic actually renders a more realistic buggy.

I'm loving it so far. Its like a Wild One, Super Champ, Falcon (and maybe a little 959 in the paint scheme) had a love child and that's fine by me. I'm even kinda ok with the price and I'm saying that while being crushed by rising prices everywhere I look. This model contains a lot of new parts and development that needs to be recouped. Like just about any venture in the hobby nowadays, Tamiya took a risk on this. A calculated risk, but a risk.. This isn't a semi-overpriced re-release hauled out of retirement with a built-in audience at this point. This was Tamiya listening to what many of us wanted and playing to their strengths. 

• Like 8

Last year, i havent bought any Tamiya RC kit. But this year it might change because of BB1. Classic look, new chassis, and simply beautiful. Hopefully its not too pricey XD

I'm wondering what keeps the front uprights attached to the wishbones.   In the Hotshot series there is a metal plate to secure the ball joints, although it sometimes detaches in racing impacts.

Well i pre-ordered from Tamico and will probably build stock, but not body art.

Comes with bearings, universals and alu dampers., which I understand it are usually some of the first hopups people look to. Looks like its built to handle BL motors due to pics with such a motor in it (even though i'll probably stick a Super Stock BZ in). 

Only thing i might be tempted with is an aftermarket metal roll cage.

Edit. Just seen a vid that reckons the outdrives and drive shafts are also metal.

• Like 1

Personally I think this is an absolute class release. Tamiya has released a 100% brand new car that is one of the most scale representations of a cage buggy out there. It has not scrimped on anything, it has alloy shocks, bearings, proper hex head screws. It's been built to withstand a lot of hard driving, and it also has a range of suitable hop-ups. 

There is nothing on the market like it. Tamiya has made a truly modern take on the Retro buggy, and its priced at around the same price as a Sandscorcher.. which is not nearly as complex or well engineered (And also not great to drive in this day and age). 

Cannot wait to get this and give it a bash on the beach..

• Like 18

42 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

This model contains a lot of new parts and development that needs to be recouped. Like just about any venture in the hobby nowadays, Tamiya took a risk on this. A calculated risk, but a risk.. This isn't a semi-overpriced re-release hauled out of retirement with a built-in audience at this point. This was Tamiya listening to what many of us wanted and playing to their strengths. 

Fair point. I hadn't thought of this as different to their re-release products in this way, but you're right - it is. However, them's the breaks - it does take volume to recoup these costs, and the same applies to all their other new designs. One assumes they'll use some variations on this chassis to help in this regard, which I think is a pretty exciting prospect in this case. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, qatmix said:

Personally I think this is an absolute class release. Tamiya has released a 100% brand new car that is one of the most scale representations of a cage buggy out there. It has not scrimped on anything, it has alloy shocks, bearings, proper hex head screws. It's been built to withstand a lot of hard driving, and it also has a range of suitable hop-ups. 

There is nothing on the market like it. Tamiya has made a truly modern take on the Retro buggy, and its priced at around the same price as a Sandscorcher.. which is not nearly as complex or well engineered (And also not great to drive in this day and age). 

Cannot wait to get this and give it a bash on the beach..

All. Of. This.

• Like 3

252 euro if you are in the UK (Import tax etc not withstanding)

The thing with it is that it is pretty unique. There is very little available in the way of a semi scale rear wheel drive buggy. The lowest price I have seen is £339 (£306 with Tamiya Club discount).

2 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

BB-01 A-parts: Do the many body posts possibly indicate that further variations (Baja Bug?) have already been considered?

300051711.jpg

I do hope so! If that happens, it will rise several places in my "gonna get one someday when the economy allows" list. 

Tamiya USA lists the MSRP at $365usd.  In comparison, they have the Frog at $303, the Blockhead Wild One at $352 and the Astute 2022 at $414.  So based on that, I would say the kit represents pretty reasonable value for the North American market.  Yes, those are wacky MSRP prices, but essentially it slots in the BBX between a Frog and an Astute 2022 price wise.  Nice.

So now I have to figure out how to swing the HS2, Boomerang, and BBX... :lol:

• Like 2