matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

Retro just doesn't want to die. This screams 1975. I can picture the ladies from Charlie's Angels driving it in an episode.

Oh, well.

56 minutes ago, Rally! said:

Retro just doesn't want to die.

I guess when today's stuff:

An Unlimited Buggy And A Product Born From Necessity

Looks as good as yesterday's stuff:

image.jpeg.c290852d1ff9668550d4fb70f5a508b3.jpeg

image.jpeg.7f532704c58d3996d12071a2289ab902.jpeg

Bilstein Shock Absorbers Heritage of Performance

...we can move on from retro. Its all cool though no matter what decade you like stylistically. Considering Tamiya buggies were birthed in the late 70's, I can see the appeal of the company wanting to return to that "look" as well of the bulk of their nostalgic fanbase. I wouldn't be against modeling a buggy against something newer, but I can't say I'm not ecstatic for this new BBX either. Just gotta work on the name. If RR is Rough Rider could BBX be "Bouncing Buggy Xtreme"? Erm, perhaps not.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, matisse said:

Baja Buggy Xtreme maybe?

Better! Lol. I guess I was hung up on on rough = bouncing. Baja Buggy is probably exactly what the Tamiya "code" is within the name.

• Like 2

I'm ashamed to say when I first saw the name 'BBX' - my immediate thought was: 'Big Boll oX'.

fwiw. I think it will be an excellent/tough runner with a vintage look... very much the WildOne/Rought Rider mash-up other people have suggested... I'd hoped it would more like $275-299 USD (particularly since it doesn't come with a motor or ESC) - and I guess it might well end up around that price once the initial demand quietens down? - if so I might well get one!

Jx

• Like 1

Any word on gearing options ? Sliding motor mount like most cars or in true Tamiya style, a torque and top speed option ? It is my understanding that a brushless motor can handle less gearing options better as opposed to a conventional brushed motor. 

It’s available for pre order on towerhobbies at 255usd. 

Anyone know what’s the Bbx chassis made of? Td2 quality plastic?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RiZZa said:

Any word on gearing options ? Sliding motor mount like most cars or in true Tamiya style, a torque and top speed option ? It is my understanding that a brushless motor can handle less gearing options better as opposed to a conventional brushed motor. 

I don't know about the motor mount (haven't seen a manual posted) but given this is a modern design (at least, a design that was created recently ;)) I'd expect a proper sliding motor mount. To your point, though, even if the mount were fixed, brushless motors give you enough options to get what you want (gobs more power to begin with, timing options in the ESC which provide a large band, and of course the option of 2s vs 3s battery). The video showed a rounded stick pack in the vehicle, and there are plenty of 2s and 3s lipos (usually ones meant for planes, boats, or drones) that will fit within that footprint. You would just need a little foam to keep everything snug.

8 hours ago, DaveBuildsRC said:

It’s available for pre order on towerhobbies at 255usd. 

Anyone know what’s the Bbx chassis made of? Td2 quality plastic?

This just makes the UK list of £400 even more offensive.

It's a £300 car, but Hobby Company love to put big markups on anything that isn't a basic TT-01 or a Lunch Box,

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, sosidge said:

This just makes the UK list of £400 even more offensive.

It's a £300 car, but Hobby Company love to put big markups on anything that isn't a basic TT-01 or a Lunch Box,

It’s pretty much £300 at Fusion after TC discount, but the point stands that that’s still a chunk higher than the US example above 

I've been off line for a bit.

This BBX is the total Mutts Nuts, The Dogs Danglies, The Cheese in my Bun, Gravy, All that and a bag of chips, Tickety-Boo. And more.

Such a cool looking buggy.

I want one. SO much.

Dilemma though. Supposed to be saving as much as i can to buy my 2 brothers out of what was my Dads old house where we grew up and where I now live.

This needs full electrics, inc motor and ESC. I have multi model transmitters.

#RealWorldProblems

#CoolTamiyaDoesntKeepARoofOverYourhead

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, FoxShot said:

This BBX is the total Mutts Nuts, The Dogs Danglies, The Cheese in my Bun, Gravy, All that and a bag of chips, Tickety-Boo. And more.

So you're saying you like it?   :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Evetsyelspih said:

Just ordered it and the slipper for $246.00 USD shipped from Tower. First 2wd in a long time. I couldn’t resist.

The slipper on its own is priced at £56 in the UK!

• Sad 1

On 2/1/2023 at 6:39 PM, Rally! said:

Can't say I'm a fan. It's really retro and it was hit by a graphics cannon. 

I'm sure it will be popular, though.

You don't have to paint it box art.

1 hour ago, Elbowloh said:

Wow!! That is crazy! It is $29.40 usd on Tower. What a major difference in price. I had no idea!

Put my pre-order in with Tower. The first, new, non-rerelease buggy I've purchased in many years. Now, if we're dealing with Kyosho roll-out times and production schedules, I might, just might, see this at my doorstep around Christmas 2023. Hopefully Tamiya does better ;).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Put my pre-order in with Tower. The first, new, non-rerelease buggy I've purchased in many years. Now, if we're dealing with Kyosho roll-out times and production schedules, I might, just might, see this at my doorstep around Christmas 2023. Hopefully Tamiya does better ;).

Some UK shops are quoting end of June. Other are saying end of September. Sounds like Tamiya have waited to gauge interest before committing to production. I really wish manufacturers would have kits ready to ship the day after launch day. I hate waiting. Summer will have gone by the time it arrives...

• Like 1

Better dogbones and aluminum parts I can understand Tamiya offering as upgrades, but why is the slipper optional? It is an off-road vehicle, so a slipper should be helpful and part of the base kit...

At least with the XV-02 I understood the choices (slipper, center diff, or spur) and those made sense given the choices you have for where and how to drive the car. This seems like a dedicated off-roader though...

1 hour ago, Elbowloh said:

Wow, is that the suggested price or actual selling/street price?   56 Euros is about $67!    Is stuff imported from Asia that heavily taxed in the UK?

1 hour ago, OnTheTrail said:

Wow, is that the suggested price or actual selling/street price?   56 Euros is about $67!    Is stuff imported from Asia that heavily taxed in the UK?

You have to remember we pay our sales tax as a flat rate which included in any price we quote here in the UK. Our sales tax (vat) is 20%, so like for like divide the UK price by 1.2 before you compare prices. Whilst I don't know about import taxes changing for plastic goods since brexit, certainly the value of the pound has tanked relative to almost every world currency including the Yen. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

Better dogbones and aluminum parts I can understand Tamiya offering as upgrades, but why is the slipper optional? It is an off-road vehicle, so a slipper should be helpful and part of the base kit...

At least with the XV-02 I understood the choices (slipper, center diff, or spur) and those made sense given the choices you have for where and how to drive the car. This seems like a dedicated off-roader though...

Off roaders have more 'slip' in traction vs on-road or carpet.  Dirt lets the tires slip. :)  I mean wheelspin is not great for control, but for protecting the gearbox the same effective result.  Also, 2wd spins easier vs 4wd so less need for a slipper to protect the gears.  From a practical point of view, mild brushed setups like the stock 540, Torque Tuned and probably even Sport Tuned don't really need it if paired with NiMH.  5.5T Brushless & 3S Lipo, yes.

On 2/4/2023 at 4:01 PM, Saito2 said:

...we can move on from retro.

Not all of the buggies out there these days are bad.  Baja buggies these days are basically the trucks without the truck body, so it often looks like a boat hull with wheels.  Can't argue the ugly there. :D  However the Race Of Champions Buggys do it for me, Initially made in 1999, this one below run in 2012.  A little small, so the cockpit is a bit big for the proportions, but I still like it.

spacer.png

The Ariel Nomad (introduced 2015) is one I'd like to see an RC version of:

spacer.png

Don't give up hope!  people are still producing cool off-road buggies.

EDIT: And don't forget the Local Motors Rally Fighter!  Ok, maybe not a buggy, but it needs to be made into RC...

spacer.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

I think it's because most Tamiya cars tend to be relatively idiot proof - plenty of people in the target market for this might not want to figure out how to set a slipper correctly, or set it too loose, or it will loosen over time and the car will loose drive (and potentially the nut and spring etc.)

A lot of owners might not even a need a slipper anyway E.g. anything less powerful than a 17.5 brushless probably won't need a slipper - at least from a drivetrain protection point of view.

• Like 3