matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

Hey all, Wanted to follow this thread as I have a BBX on pre-order and interested in what others are gonna do for power. Been ages since I had a Tamiya buggy (had a Grasshopper & Super Champ back in the 80's). I think I'm gonna go brushless but I have zero experience with that, and all my batteries but one are NiMH.

Thanks for all the responses. Mine probably won't see any dirt. I may do the Tamiya ESC with their Brushless 10.5 Turn motor or a New HobbyWing G2 1080 with a BZ Stock motor will work good. Another item I'm kinda having a hard seeing is that they are using a standard size servo or Low Profile servo? Gotta collect all the stuff before it arrives.

Cory

21 minutes ago, RC4x4 said:

Thanks for all the responses. Mine probably won't see any dirt. I may do the Tamiya ESC with their Brushless 10.5 Turn motor or a New HobbyWing G2 1080 with a BZ Stock motor will work good. Another item I'm kinda having a hard seeing is that they are using a standard size servo or Low Profile servo? Gotta collect all the stuff before it arrives.

Cory

Any idea when these will arrive? I read estimates ranging from a few months to almost a year.

1 hour ago, smirk-racing said:

Any idea when these will arrive? I read estimates ranging from a few months to almost a year.

I think it's going to be a while. When I pre-ordered my TD4 from Tower, I ordered on 7/10 and it shipped on 11/29. So, 4.5 months later.

10 hours ago, RichieRich said:

I think it's going to be a while. When I pre-ordered my TD4 from Tower, I ordered on 7/10 and it shipped on 11/29. So, 4.5 months later.

That's not what I wanted to hear...

Yeah, who knows. I waited almost a year for the BHM WildOne. Haven't even built that yet. I'm in no rush. It'll be here before we know it.

Cory

On 2/15/2023 at 1:36 AM, smirk-racing said:

Modelsport think 31st August

Wheelspin think 30th April

I'll guess at somewhere between the two!

• Haha 1

Keep in mind that last year the pandemic was causing a lot disruption in shipments. While we’re still not back to prepandemic levels, much has improved in past couple od months.

Deposit paid today at my local hobby shop, which will secure me one as soon as they land.

I feel we should be buying whole kits, where we can, from UK retailers. They don't set the price - the mark-up is minimal, it's the "right" thing to do, otherwise we can't moan when they all disappear from the High Street and there's nowhere to browse anymore!

Now Hop-ups and spares - they can come from wherever will flog them cheapest! The UK RRP is just too stupid, for that I blame the UK Tamiya importer...

• Like 5

To do the “spare tyre on roof” look, I assume one would need:

51715 Buggy Wheels (Plated) (4 Pcs.)
51716 Buggy Front Tires (2 Pcs.)

Guess there’s no way of knowing for sure without the manual?

2 hours ago, pl212 said:

To do the “spare tyre on roof” look, I assume one would need:

51715 Buggy Wheels (Plated) (4 Pcs.)
51716 Buggy Front Tires (2 Pcs.)

Guess there’s no way of knowing for sure without the manual?

Who wants to go quarters on a set of wheels and tyres? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, David B said:

I suspect the wheel will be available as a single.

Ha! Hahahaha. I admire that optimism. 

Group buys it is, I reckon. 

• Haha 2

On 2/17/2023 at 11:37 AM, ChrisRx718 said:

Deposit paid today at my local hobby shop, which will secure me one as soon as they land.

I feel we should be buying whole kits, where we can, from UK retailers. They don't set the price - the mark-up is minimal, it's the "right" thing to do, otherwise we can't moan when they all disappear from the High Street and there's nowhere to browse anymore!

Now Hop-ups and spares - they can come from wherever will flog them cheapest! The UK RRP is just too stupid, for that I blame the UK Tamiya importer...

I think the UK importer is responsible for that initial high price (that appears to now have been reduced). A lot of people on other media are complaining about the price. Yes it is up there, but Tamiya always has been, and it has better plastic, aeration dampers, universals, frame etc etc and it's a new design. I think it's cool. Will I buy one? Will have to see it in the flesh. 👍

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Ha! Hahahaha. I admire that optimism. 

Group buys it is, I reckon. 

Only reason I think it'll be a single is it's been mentioned in multiple places that it'll be an available hop up, time will tell though.

While I hardly think this is the case (although I hope it is.... ;) ) as of this morning Tower Hobbies shows the BBX as "next shipment March 2023".   Maybe for once, we'll get the first batch of these on this side of the pond.  :wub:

• Like 2

An excellent in depth look at many aspects of the BBX in this vid, the segment starts at 1hr22mins in. I don't speak Japanese, but the visual demonstrations are excellent👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I would like to see a video where they insert and connect a battery in  the bbx, not just showing where it has to go...

23 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

I would like to see a video where they insert and connect a battery in  the bbx, not just showing where it has to go...

Yeah, good point.   At  about 1:30:50 they what appears to be a rather small opening to get the battery through.  :wacko:

Although it looks like the ESC is right there and I thought that was to go in the box behind the driver.  

I agree.  Having watched the video, battery installation doesn't appear to be as simple as with other buggies.  Not a deal breaker for me.

This is somewhat unrelated but I've been designing a chassis for a Porsche 934 (rear motor, 2wd like the 1:1 car) and was not completely settled on which suspension type to use until I saw the BBX.  It was settled; the rear suspension for my Porsche will be 3-link trailing arms - mainly for the cool factor.  Then, I discovered that the 1:1 Porsche also uses trailing arm suspension. 

Anyway, like I said; unrelated.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Yeah, good point.   At  about 1:30:50 they what appears to be a rather small opening to get the battery through.  :wacko:

Although it looks like the ESC is right there and I thought that was to go in the box behind the driver.  

Looking at this video it looks like the battery tray tilts to be able to slide the battery in.

1 hour ago, David B said:

Looking at this video it looks like the battery tray tilts to be able to slide the battery in.

Yes, but without body panels.

Anyway, it's definitely not a deal breaker for me.  The buggy looks so good, I can live with some inconvenience.

4 minutes ago, IXLR8 said:

Yes, but without body panels.

Anyway, it's definitely not a deal breaker for me.  The buggy looks so good, I can live with some inconvenience.

Not much difference to say a Top Force or an Astute where you remove a velcroed shell to access the battery, no biggie really🙂