matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

Actually, it's the body sides that are screwed to the cage that I was referring to.  I can't see how a battery is going to slide in where his index finger is in this image without forcing the body sides apart.  The gap doesn't appear wide enough.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.:wacko:

image.png.90720270e807c1f2c02ad5841a36cf60.png

49 minutes ago, IXLR8 said:

Actually, it's the body sides that are screwed to the cage that I was referring to.  I can't see how a battery is going to slide in where his index finger is in this image without forcing the body sides apart.  The gap doesn't appear wide enough.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.:wacko:

image.png.90720270e807c1f2c02ad5841a36cf60.png

I guess for now we have to assume that the battery fits between or behind the tops of those two side panels as it slides in, it looks like the gap is about 3 fingers width, so about the same as a standard Tamiya sized battery. I can't see why they would have one panel velcro and the others bolted on if it wasn't for ease of getting the battery in.

NePxrKJ.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was VERY excited about this when I first saw the pictures and videos. Now the initial excitement has died down a little less so.

I get that it's necessary but the plastics for the arms and shock mounts etc are a bit bulky and cheap looking and the wheels and tyres are a little off too. Don't get me wrong; I'm still getting one and I'm really hoping it ends up being the great combo of pretty good old school aesthetic with more modern design for better handling and durability. I just don't look at it as lustfully as I did!

• Like 4

I don't understand why Tamiya engineers had to complicate battery placement with their new kits such as this & the TD4. As seen in the video, it'll take so much time (and a tweezer :lol:) to get the battery in and out. If they were aiming for the serious RC racers, then that's one way to shove them off from buying.

7 hours ago, GeeWings said:

I was VERY excited about this when I first saw the pictures and videos. Now the initial excitement has died down a little less so.

I get that it's necessary but the plastics for the arms and shock mounts etc are a bit bulky and cheap looking and the wheels and tyres are a little off too. 

I have the same thoughts. But let's see. If they come up with really nice hop-ups such as carbon fiber & nice blue aluminum pieces, then that will make me want to buy this even more. :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

I don't understand why Tamiya engineers had to complicate battery placement with their new kits such as this & the TD4. As seen in the video, it'll take so much time (and a tweezer :lol:) to get the battery in and out. If they were aiming for the serious RC racers, then that's one way to shove them off form buying.

I think the battery placement on the BBX will help with weight distribution if you run NIMH. I can't speak for the TD4 though, maybe because its an Avante and all Avantes must be overly complex?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I have the same thoughts. But let's see. If they come up with really nice hop-ups such as carbon fiber & nice blue aluminum pieces, then that will make me want to buy this even more. :lol:

Yep, and don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely getting one but it’s just not quite as pretty as I first thought. Looks like it’s going to be a great runner though. 

I'm probably stating the obvious but manufacturers risk losing buyers if they announce a model too far ahead of when it's ready to ship.  This has happened with me a few times.  I've pre-ordered a model, the seller charged my credit card, too much time passed, I lost interest and canceled the order.  I don't like waiting and I don't like paying for something months before it arrives.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IXLR8 said:

I'm probably stating the obvious but manufacturers risk losing buyers if they announce a model too far ahead of when it's ready to ship.  This has happened with me a few times.  I've pre-ordered a model, the seller charged my credit card, too much time passed, I lost interest and canceled the order.  I don't like waiting and I don't like paying for something months before it arrives.

Not a fan of that either. Tower Hobbies doesn't charge till it's ready to ship.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David B said:

Not a fan of that either. Tower Hobbies doesn't charge till it's ready to ship.

Thanks David.  I tend to order from Horizon and forget about Tower.

Since Tower and Horizon are under same ownership, I'm curious how (or if) their policies differ.

Here's Tower's policy on pre-orders:

image.png.4ae84c0ed1dd8b40dab6cbf7a8580c9d.png

... and here is Horizon's:

image.png.86237e38ede8adc13de4355cb477343c.png

I've gone ahead and pre-ordered a BBX from Tower.

I never order from Tower these days but as I think about it, my very first surface RC was ordered from Tower.  Back in late 1979, I order a new Sand Scorcher from Tower Hobbies.

Tower almost always has a decent coupon code to clip, I got the BBX for $225 and free shipping. I ordered my very first hobby grade from them back in the 80's. I even remember filling out the order form from their catalog and snail mailing in a money order, my times have changed.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I missed seeing the coupon code.  With tax, my BBX is costing over 278 bucks.  I always miss-out on the bargains.

I wonder if the front wheels are bearing-hub or hex-hub. Is there anything to indicate either way yet? 

As others have said already; the wheel design is a bit 'meh'. It would be good to get ideas about what alternatives would work; ie. FAV style wheels etc.

4 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I wonder if the front wheels are bearing-hub or hex-hub. Is there anything to indicate either way yet? 

As others have said already; the wheel design is a bit 'meh'. It would be good to get ideas about what alternatives would work; ie. FAV style wheels etc.

That's an interesting suggestion.  Those FAV wheels might look really good on this buggy.

I have a feeling I'll be the only BBX owner who actually likes the kit wheels.  :wacko:

In fact, I'm looking for other vehicles in my collection that could use them.

Is the BBX the first 2wd from Tamiya to use hex wheels up front or are there others?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IXLR8 said:

Is the BBX the first 2wd from Tamiya to use hex wheels up front or are there others?

TD2 has front hex. Maybe a new mid-range buggy standard.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

Thanks again David.

The discount code saved me 25 bucks.  251 with tax.  :)

No problem! I also picked up a Grasshopper Green Edition for $83.09, love a good discount!

4 hours ago, Nick-W said:

TD2 has front hex. Maybe a new mid-range buggy standard.

WT01 and M06?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Busdriver said:

WT01 and M06?

Really? I didn’t know that. The last m chassis I had was an 02 (or 3?), the old MX5, from the nineties and I can’t for the life of me remember.

I hadn’t heard of a WT01 before. A quick google and it looks fun. Was it any good? 

3 hours ago, Nick-W said:

Really? I didn’t know that. The last m chassis I had was an 02 (or 3?), the old MX5, from the nineties and I can’t for the life of me remember.

I hadn’t heard of a WT01 before. A quick google and it looks fun. Was it any good? 

I love mine!!! Has an Amarok body in the style of a Blackfoot. Great fun truck 🛻