matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

Like you've said, the kit tire and wheel package should be just fine for running the car around in the yard.  On those rare occasions that I'll bring the car to the track, I'll fit a tire and wheel set from one of my race buggies.  The BBX uses 12mm hex so I'm guessing 2.2" wheels from other brands will fit okay.  As much as I like the kit wheels/tires, I value performance over esthetics while the car is on the track.

• Like 1

So the spare tire on the rear is not included in the kit..  Maezumi-san stated in the video that the car in the video is completely stock and was the first run on their dirt track...well, completely stock less the spare.

He also noted that the weight/drag of the spare makes for a better driving/jumping balance so to contact customer service to get your spare wheel and tire.  

How he drops the car onto the ground and the dampers absorb the impact.. imo that is how the WildOne should've come long time ago.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sosidge said:

Not great on the jumps, and the front bumper digs in early if you do a nose down landing

And that is with the optional spare tire adding weight to the back. 

Just giving the video a quick look, the suspension's character looks in line with what I expect from a trailing arm set-up in the rear. The bob and slap characteristics are reminiscent in my mind to that of the Avante family, FAV/Wild One and Scorpion. Trailing arms are great for general rough-stuff, but the Avante family and original JR-X2 were the last gasp for this design in a track- focused arena. Tamiya moved to conventional rear arms even in the Jamie Booth Egress (and then the DF01) and Losi quickly offered "H-arms" as an option for the JR-X2, ditching them entirely for the follow-up JRX-Pro (a la PROformance kit). I feel trailing arms can be trickier to set-up properly and that the BBX in the video could use more dial-in if its just running box-stock. It can be done as I've seen fully F&R trailing arm Scorpions running with more composure.

It could also just be those big tires are bouncy or harder to control too. Looking at it, I have an odd feeling this is kind of a big buggy with tall, narrow tires.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

And that is with the optional spare tire adding weight to the back. 

Well I think you have to give Maezumi-san some slack as it was more from his driving input causing the nose dive, I think..(?)

It was his first run ever on the dirt track with that car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

his driving

He is a really experienced and skilled driver. It would probably land on its roof on my first jump 😅

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, sosidge said:

There's some running video at 1:05 in the recent Tamiya Live video. Satoshi Maezumi at the wheel. Bear in mind he is a world-class driver. Handling looks "retro" to be generous (considering it has good quality shocks out of the box), but I don't think the kit tyres are hooking up at all on that track, which is pretty rough in places. Not great on the jumps, and the front bumper digs in early if you do a nose down landing.

Looks really good in the trackside shots, sliding and bouncing around. But a bit of a handful from the drivers stand!

I think it will be a lot of fun as a slow-but-feels-fast runner in the garden/park/trail but might be a bit frustrating doing laps on a track.

I think having that spare wheel on the back ruins the handling quite a bit. I know on my vaterra twin hammers that taking that tyre off the back was the single biggest improvement to handling you could make. I’d say there is a reason they don’t include it. 

that being said the handling looks…. Vintage. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sosidge said:

Yes, I never thought it would be competitive on a track ...

Yeah, not a competitive car, but a major upgrade compared to the Classic looking buggies of the 80's.  Has the right look with the trailing arms and cage, but performs 10x better.  I think this may become a really popular beach car, kinda like the Kyosho Turbo Scorpion.  Get some paddles on it and have a lot of scale fun.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

Yeah, not a competitive car, but a major upgrade compared to the Classic looking buggies of the 80's.  Has the right look with the trailing arms and cage, but performs 10x better.  I think this may become a really popular beach car, kinda like the Kyosho Turbo Scorpion.  Get some paddles on it and have a lot of scale fun.

I fully agree with you, but as for "the right look", I have problems understanding why Tamiya went for wishbones up front and not double trailing arms.  The double trailing arm suspension of the GB-02 is a pretty good design and Tamiya could basically just have made it larger for the BB-01.  That way, the BB-01 would have replicated (real) racing buggies of the eighties.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Willy iine said:

So the spare tire on the rear is not included in the kit..  Maezumi-san stated in the video that the car in the video is completely stock and was the first run on their dirt track...well, completely stock less the spare.

He also noted that the weight/drag of the spare makes for a better driving/jumping balance so to contact customer service to get your spare wheel and tire.  

How he drops the car onto the ground and the dampers absorb the impact.. imo that is how the WildOne should've come long time ago.  

I can't really see how adding that wheel improves handling, if anything it raises the COG. But it looks neat, should come in the kit if it doesn't.

The handling doesn't look far off from a Frog, light front end, loose back end. Hopefully the BBX has a more robust transmission.

3 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I can't really see how adding that wheel improves handling, if anything it raises the COG. But it looks neat, should come in the kit imo.

The handling doesn't look far off from a Frog, light front end, loose back end.

It's Tamiya... they say and do a lot of gimmicky things to make the experience fun. :lol:  Other brands just do it properly from start. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

Like you've said, the kit tire and wheel package should be just fine for running the car around in the yard.  On those rare occasions that I'll bring the car to the track, I'll fit a tire and wheel set from one of my race buggies.  The BBX uses 12mm hex so I'm guessing 2.2" wheels from other brands will fit okay.  As much as I like the kit wheels/tires, I value performance over esthetics while the car is on the track.

I don't know....Those rear tires look awfully familiar. I swear they are from Radio shacks 1986 "off-road champ"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've bought some bits so I don't have another massive bill to hide from the Mrs when this gets released-

Hobbywing 1080
Tamiya Type BZ 23T
Tamiya Buggy Light kit - although looking back at images I reckon this already has fittings for lights, ah well!

Servo-wise I'm sure I read some folks say it needed to be low-profile?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I've bought some bits so I don't have another massive bill to hide from the Mrs when this gets released-

Hobbywing 1080
Tamiya Type BZ 23T
Tamiya Buggy Light kit - although looking back at images I reckon this already has fittings for lights, ah well!

Servo-wise I'm sure I read some folks say it needed to be low-profile?

I don't think there's a definite answer on that, someone on here mentioned a website said it was low profile, Tower Hobbies website says it's a standard servo.

7 hours ago, danimaldaisy said:

I don't know....Those rear tires look awfully familiar. I swear they are from Radio shacks 1986 "off-road champ"

Haha.

Also, spare on a nostalgic car should look like this.. ;)  I still think the WildOne looks 10x better.. 

IMG_2022-11-11-153030.jpg.f3b1960a94a0c7272539a956c5809c69.jpg

This is my Amazon car with actual spare that can be used on the axles.. is the where Tamiya got their idea from?   Amazon RTR?

IMG_Aug22021at44939PM.jpg.fde7092883345a12098a322c93c2f669.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 12:34 PM, frameskip said:

What are these for and who makes them? Don't mind the look of them!

Apologies for the off-topic reply.

Those wheels were made by eBay seller "rc_loverr". https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=141102935701&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20da63ee95&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562&_ssn=rc_loverr

They don't have anything for sale now and haven't had anything listed for a while, I believe.

It's too bad, because those wheels are amazing.  I was lucky enough to get a set in 2015 for my Brat.

IMG_3330-1600.thumb.JPG.da23e6330d7764b8101d99cd6cc489d2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Champ85 said:

Apologies for the off-topic reply.

Those wheels were made by eBay seller "rc_loverr". https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=141102935701&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20da63ee95&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562&_ssn=rc_loverr

They don't have anything for sale now and haven't had anything listed for a while, I believe.

It's too bad, because those wheels are amazing.  I was lucky enough to get a set in 2015 for my Brat.

That was very cruel, Champ85.  First, you show us some awesome looking wheels then tell us they're no longer available.

Then, if that wasn't enough, you show us a picture of YOUR amazing looking car with those wheels.

Very cruel indeed. <_<

:lol:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

More video of BBX in action. 

...what did I just watch?

Can't help but notice the wobbly front wheels during the slow-mo shots.

• Confused 1

I know...... I think this vid just just set me further away from the BBX    :blink:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thommo said:

I know...... I think this vid just just set me further away from the BBX    :blink:

Its clearly a sponsored video at that, which Im not a fan of. I think the BBX looks like a nicely styled if cheaply made buggy that seems to drive a bit like a Frog out on the track.

I think folks are getting carried away with what they expect from this model. To me it's a modern interpretation of a Wild One / FAV, not to be judged on its track "performance", it's a nice scale model. It already looks to handle better than my FAV, which is really fun to drive.

I expect more of the same - not chasing laptimes, but just being rugged, scale-looking and outright fun. I think I'll forego the slipper clutch for that very reason, you want something unruly which can slide about and demonstrate "some" semblance of control!  

• Like 11

41 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I think folks are getting carried away with what they expect from this model. To me it's a modern interpretation of a Wild One / FAV, not to be judged on its track "performance", it's a nice scale model.

Exactly this. Watching the video i see exactly how I'd expect any trailing arm scale buggy to behave on a track. I'm not put off in the slightest. I have other buggies that are more track worthy.

Having said that, it seemed to rip around the track quite nicely...

• Like 6

What this needs is a full competition conversion kit, carbon, aluminum and titanium. :lol:

Can‘t have fun if a AE or Xray 4wd competition buggy is faster than my BBX with Torque Tuned motor :ph34r:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3