matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

1 hour ago, wtcc5 said:

What this needs is a full competition conversion kit, carbon, aluminum and titanium. :lol:

Can‘t have fun if a AE or Xray 4wd competition buggy is faster than my BBX with Torque Tuned motor :ph34r:

Also needs a Kumamon edition, so as Im crushing RC10s and Xrays everyone will be too busy scratching their heads to focus!

• Haha 2

On 3/13/2023 at 7:21 PM, David B said:

I don't think there's a definite answer on that, someone on here mentioned a website said it was low profile, Tower Hobbies website says it's a standard servo.

On the BBX page on Tamiya USA under "Specifications" it gives "Low Profile Servo" as required to complete.

Looking at the design of how it's mounted, the fact that there's a Tamiya low-profile servo mounted in every video or picture shown of one in running order, and the fact that Tamiya's own website lists that, at least in my eyes, is pretty definitive that it'll require a low-pro servo.

I'm suspecting the mounting location is sensitive to the distance between the underside of the mounting flange and the "bottom" of the servo case. Looking at the official Tamiya image with all the panels taken off, you can see how it looks like the bottom of the servo is right up against, or very close to, the chassis.

I can't seem to find any detailed dimensions of the TSU-06 servo besides the overall dimension. I'm sure any limitations in size/mounting height/etc should be detailed in the assembly manual (which I am eager to see one of these days!)

It MIGHT be possible to mount a standard size servo with standoffs if you use a slim solid servo horn instead of the thick plastic servo saver, but that's just multiple layers of speculation on my part based on exactly 0 evidence.

20 hours ago, Vewy_nice said:

On the BBX page on Tamiya USA under "Specifications" it gives "Low Profile Servo" as required to complete.

Looking at the design of how it's mounted, the fact that there's a Tamiya low-profile servo mounted in every video or picture shown of one in running order, and the fact that Tamiya's own website lists that, at least in my eyes, is pretty definitive that it'll require a low-pro servo.

I'm suspecting the mounting location is sensitive to the distance between the underside of the mounting flange and the "bottom" of the servo case. Looking at the official Tamiya image with all the panels taken off, you can see how it looks like the bottom of the servo is right up against, or very close to, the chassis.

I can't seem to find any detailed dimensions of the TSU-06 servo besides the overall dimension. I'm sure any limitations in size/mounting height/etc should be detailed in the assembly manual (which I am eager to see one of these days!)

It MIGHT be possible to mount a standard size servo with standoffs if you use a slim solid servo horn instead of the thick plastic servo saver, but that's just multiple layers of speculation on my part based on exactly 0 evidence.

Just play it safe and get a shorty servo. Many are using this in their TD2 and TD4 builds.

https://www.amazon.com/PDI-4409MG-Coreless-Standard-Helicopter-Airplane/dp/B07PQKCRS3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3H53H13CWDENK&keywords=4409mg&qid=1679411395&sprefix=4409m%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-1

May grab one of those, I think a steering servo is the last thing I need to buy for my build.

I've been using the SPT4412LV servo in almost all my Tamiya builds as of lately whether it calls for a low profile or not.   One of the forums (or YT..??) recommended these and so far I've been happy with them.    I use to use the 20K DS3218 servos (also from Amazon) but while they're powerful, they're too slow for the faster cars.   I'm planning on replacing the DS3218 used in past builds with the SPT4412LV to get the speed up.   

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T7GW6ZM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1

Going brushed on this for starters, may go brushless eventually, but the BZ motor will look right at home in my opinion.

What's the best source for release dates do we reckon? UK retailers are all over the place:
Fusion Hobbies & Modelsport : 2nd May :lol:
L&L Models: June 
vast majority of others are stating August/September
Tower Hobbies in USA is also saying June...

resize_PXL_20230413_101757991.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Going brushed on this for starters, may go brushless eventually, but the BZ motor will look right at home in my opinion.

What's the best source for release dates do we reckon? UK retailers are all over the place:
Fusion Hobbies & Modelsport : 2nd May :lol:
L&L Models: June 
vast majority of others are stating August/September
Tower Hobbies in USA is also saying June...

resize_PXL_20230413_101757991.jpg

That HW 1080 is probably the best brushed ESC on the market. A bang for the buck and so many settings can be made not just for crawling but for everything 4-wheels. Buggy, touring, rally, monster and the list goes on. I replaced three of my 1060 to that. Huge difference in performance.

Can't wait to see your BBX build soon. :)

• Like 2

Tower Hobbies is sending out emails (below) requesting people review the BBX they purchased, someone over there isn't paying attention.

You've recently bought 110 BBX 2WD, BB-01 Kit from TowerHobbies.com. Would you mind taking a moment to leave a product review?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, David B said:

Tower Hobbies is sending out emails (below) requesting people review the BBX they purchased, someone over there isn't paying attention.

You've recently bought 110 BBX 2WD, BB-01 Kit from TowerHobbies.com. Would you mind taking a moment to leave a product review?

Guessing thats just an automated email sent out X amount of days after order

Got this from Tamico this morning:

"Thank you for pre-ordering the Tamiya 58719 BBX Buggy BB01 Kit.

Unfortunately, Tamiya has informed that date of release was postponed to End of Juli world wide."

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Elbowloh said:

Got this from Tamico this morning:

"Thank you for pre-ordering the Tamiya 58719 BBX Buggy BB01 Kit.

Unfortunately, Tamiya has informed that date of release was postponed to End of Juli world wide."

Weird, didn't they just have a few Japanese e-celebs drive it around their track?

10 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

And now I'm beginning to lose interest in it, lol. I don't remember these crazy-long wait times BITD. Of course back then, there was no internet, just some spy photos in RC Car Action magazine with little detail and much mystery. I have very little interest in the Optima Mid kit I've been picking over for the past few weeks for much the same reason (I literally contemplated selling it off half-assembled with the last batch of cars I sold). I fear the BBX will just go on a pile when it finally arrives and I'll get to it when I can. Kinda deflating, but I guess I'm more into restos and scratch builds now.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't contemplating cancelling the order and getting the Kyosho Dirtmaster or a TD4 instead.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saito2 said:

And now I'm beginning to lose interest in it, lol. I don't remember these crazy-long wait times BITD. Of course back then, there was no internet, just some spy photos in RC Car Action magazine with little detail and much mystery.

My theory is is that Tamiya is spacing out releases, right now we have the ultimate (but not entirely ultimate) TT-02s, next might be the MB-01, then the BBX. Maybe they don't want one model distracting from the other, of course you have the freebies and sponsored stuff too. I personally have a hard time justifying the price for what looks like a basic (if well detailed) 2wd buggy.

6 hours ago, Saito2 said:

And now I'm beginning to lose interest in it, lol. I don't remember these crazy-long wait times BITD. Of course back then, there was no internet, just some spy photos in RC Car Action magazine with little detail and much mystery. I have very little interest in the Optima Mid kit I've been picking over for the past few weeks for much the same reason (I literally contemplated selling it off half-assembled with the last batch of cars I sold). I fear the BBX will just go on a pile when it finally arrives and I'll get to it when I can. Kinda deflating, but I guess I'm more into restos and scratch builds now.

5 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

Yeah, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't contemplating cancelling the order and getting the Kyosho Dirtmaster or a TD4 instead.

These are some good examples of why launching a product that is not available is a classic marketing fail.  Tamiya have completely ignored the impulse buyer and the buy now market and so deserve to lose the battle on that front.

• Like 4

I might be the odd one out here but I really don't mind the wait. I've a couple of other projects I want to finish before the BBX comes so it suits me that it's delayed.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

I might be the odd one out here but I really don't mind the wait. I've a couple of other projects I want to finish before the BBX comes so it suits me that it's delayed.

No you’re not! I haven’t even bothered to put an order in for one I’m going to wait until I actually see it in the flesh before I make my mind up because it just doesn’t appeal to me I’m more excited for the boomerang so my money’s on that because that was the buggy that started all my racing years:D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toyolien said:

I'm in the same boat. Albeit there's about 20 projects ahead of the queue. I'll still build the BBX way before any of those get finished, though :lol:

6 hours ago, Thommo said:

These are some good examples of why launching a product that is not available is a classic marketing fail.  Tamiya have completely ignored the impulse buyer and the buy now market and so deserve to lose the battle on that front.

Very true.

The funny thing is, I'm not an impulse buyer nor am I trained to demand/want things immediately in this internet age. I usually make slow, calculated purchasing decisions (or most decisions for that matter, I hate making preventable mistakes). I do come from an age where, if wanted to buy something, you got in a car, drove to a store that had it, and bought it, with actual money. The store didn't have pictures of items to be, fully showing the finished product, but a sign saying : "coming in 3, 6, 9 or 12 months".

When upcoming items were on the horizon BITD, you may get spy photos first. There would be dissection of those, like today. Then some facts would trickle out. BUT, when the item finally debuted i.e. you saw comprehensive pictures inside and out, full reviews, running/driving footage, full breakdowns etc, THEN it would be available to purchase, not 4 months or more down the road. Some anticipation: good, too much: bad. The fact is, the whole hobby (like most others) is about getting our little dopamine uptick from the purchase, assembly and running (sometimes, I guess) and general enjoyment of these RC cars. If we didn't get any enjoyment, we'd be doing something else with our time/money. How much fun is it the get that uptick and then have the carrot on the end of the stick put on a progressively longer stick? Halfway through that process, some of us just loose interest. There's too much else going on in life to maintain interest or excitement for something as frivolous as a toy dangled in front of us, swinging farther away. Sorry for the rant and I hope I didn't offend anybody with my opinion. I'm not claiming to be "right" or speak for everyone. Everybody's different and the current release model may work fine for others.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

the current release model may work fine for others

Not for me though!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thommo said:

Yeah I think you have a good point! They did this with the egress black edition it was announced at the beginning of July and didn’t appear until Christmas and by then that impulse feeling had long gone and I only got it because I’d put down a sizeable deposit because of its expense and I’d sold some rc related items which had never seen the light of day for years! Don’t get me wrong the egress black is a stunning buggy in every way but I wasn’t as pumped up about it as I was in July<_< so this is why I didn’t bother putting an order in for the BBX simply because if the release date was the actual date you can budget for it but when they start messing around with dates you have to take into consideration life and other commitments which are more important can and do come along?

7 hours ago, Thommo said:

It's certainly a contrast to, say, Traxxas, who manage to keep new releases under wraps until the day of the announcement, and then it is available to buy the following day. 

Tamiya have a different approach - I see similar things with the other Japanese static model makers who also announce releases well in advance.

Might be a few reasons for the very long delays at the moment:

1. Tamiya's supply chain is still recovering from the pandemic. They may assume a Q1 release date but there are supply issues that push them back to Q2/Q3. Bear in mind that Tamiya are making huge quantities of models.

2. Release announcements are still based around a handful of physical shows (Shizuoka, Tokyo, Nuremburg), they want to have big announcements at those shows and maybe the temptation is to show things early as a result.

3. Coordinated worldwide launches. Tamiya like to have the products on the shelves in every major market at the same time. For all we know there might be a container full of BBX's stuck in the Suez Canal right now.

4. Japanese marketing culture - maybe the home market is happy to wait. And the home market is far and away Tamiya's largest market.

Anyway, if people lose interest in the buggy that suits me. I don't do pre-orders, so if there is overstock going cheap in the summer, I'll be a happy customer!

• Like 2

I never really expected it on the expected date here in the US. I've bought enough Tamiya's to know it's going to be later than that, it's almost always a month or two later. Just patiently waiting! Servo, ESC and receiver are all ready to go.