matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

I tend to have trouble with ball diffs (always a bit finicky). For non-racing use cases, can you really feel a difference between a ball diff and an open gear diff (say with just some grease)?

I'm assuming we could fit a 54471 Ta06 Steel Gear Diff Unit though?

At least I read on the modelsport website that it uses the TA06 diff.

My dilemma is the slipper clutch... performance wise I can't see any reason why I need it; but I can't talk myself out of wanting it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blefuscu said:

My dilemma is the slipper clutch... performance wise I can't see any reason why I need it; but I can't talk myself out of wanting it.

In today's age of crazy brushless systems and LiPO batteries slipper clutches are good to have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

In today's age of crazy brushless systems and LiPO batteries slipper clutches are good to have.

That's true, I am very grateful for the slipper clutch in my LD2. I guess I'm saying I don't think I'll be putting a crazy brushless system in my bbx!

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 4:58 AM, smirk-racing said:

I tend to have trouble with ball diffs (always a bit finicky). For non-racing use cases, can you really feel a difference between a ball diff and an open gear diff (say with just some grease)?

I think so, especially if grip is low. I know you said none racing - but I went to race on some old slippery astro recently. Everyone who didn't have a ball diff to fit was really having to nurse the car around the corners to stop it spinning out.

Ball diffs from Tamiya when built correctly should have a long life between rebuilds unless you run insane power though it. The way to do it is to make sure you break the diff in properly - then set it and it should stay good for a decent amount of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Spotted this on social media earlier. Looks good to go!

182556076_BBXBox.thumb.jpg.853d3c622fc509985bdd853220b3cbf5.jpg

Was just coming to post this. I think these are the Media ones, but that must mean retail omes arent far away?

• Like 3

I cancelled my backorder with Tower today. The bodywork held on with velcro just nagged at me. And the closer I looked at that plastic roll-cage the less confident I became with the sturdiness & repairability when support ends for the kit.

So somebody please build one of these and put the comical wheels on it. Then post lots of photos on the beach so I can live vicariously through them. Thank you. :D

• Haha 3

love the look of this, got my pre order in already! ..but what i don't like, is why they limit space where the battery sits, i use lipo/brushless (will be fitting a hobbywing max10 & motor combo).. im using a 3s 5000 Spektrum lipo pack in my Blitzer, but there will be no chance of fitting that battery in this, but i do have a 2200mAh so that will fit! just a pain that i will get less run time!

21 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/hop-ups/36307/C02

So here's what I assume will be the beginning of the hop-ups, so does this come with a slipper clutch or will that be an optional but not optional hop-up?

Slipper is an option and not included in the kit. I think the drive shafts that are listed as an option 'DO' come in the kit. Not sure why that would be the case. Guess it'll be confirmed once they release the manual.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toyolien said:

Slipper is an option and not included in the kit.

Seems like a bit of an omission for a buggy with a $200+ price tag.

2 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

It's Tamiya so to be expected I guess. I think some people (particularly in Japan) aren't bothered by a Slipper so I can understand it being an option part. I'm really looking forward to getting mine. It's a throw back to Tamiya's original off road buggies and I think they've done an excellent job. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, toyolien said:

It's Tamiya so to be expected I guess. I think some people (particularly in Japan) aren't bothered by a Slipper so I can understand it being an option part. I'm really looking forward to getting mine. It's a throw back to Tamiya's original off road buggies and I think they've done an excellent job. 

I think it looks really nice, I'll reserve judgment for when it's released. I'm hoping for something on par with the Kyosho Dirtmaster in terms of equipment.

6 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Unless you’re running a mod motor and taking huge and keeping throttle pegged at wide open while airborne, you don’t need a slipper on a 2WD buggy.  Mind you, anything greater than a 13.5 on a 2WD would be a handful. 

Majority of carpet indoor 2WD 17.5 spec classes, run without slipper. That’s why AE, Losi, Kyosho all offer two versions, One with slipper and second a spec version without a slipper. 

30 years ago, the internal gears were nylon and slipper was needed. Today they’re derlin and takes a lot to strip them out. 

Received some BBX wheels and front tires today, so thought I'd show a couple of pics. I spotted that the wheels were 26mm +2, so I ordered some CC-02 wheels that are 26mm +4 to compare. And they are exactly the same width and diameter. So, it opens up possibilities of other wheels straight away.

Left are the BBX kit wheels, and the black ones are the CC-02's

Zo3HPcL.jpg

First time I've seen Tamiya tires coming in individually vacuum sealed bags.

gYdX4Js.jpg

Comparison between the Fast Attack front tire (left), BBX (middle) and Dual Block tire (right).

LYlShJb.jpg

BBX wheel and CC-02 (black) wheel.

AH7yJoD.jpg

tBvUQ8u.jpg

DroaPAW.jpg

And the front BBX tire mounted on the CC-02 wheel.

rjmb1eg.jpg

RlhgnYr.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Are the front and rear wheels the same or are the rears wider? At 26mm thats regular touring car size so massively widens the options if theyre both 26mm.

24 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Are the front and rear wheels the same or are the rears wider? At 26mm thats regular touring car size so massively widens the options if theyre both 26mm.

Yep, they are the same (I think, I did only check one, but they didn't look different in the packet). I did check one against a 26mm Tamiya rally wheel and they are the same size.

** EDIT **: Just been and checked. Yes, all four wheels are the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toyolien said:

rjmb1eg.jpg

Paint those CC-02 wheels silver or white and you'll have something nice. How does the tire compound feel?

16 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Paint those CC-02 wheels silver or white and you'll have something nice. How does the tire compound feel?

I quite like the black. Was just going to matt clear coat them I think. They feel good quality but not super soft. They come with big foams, I'm guessing because of the large side wall. The letters look nice and easy to paint too👍

• Like 2

Thanks so much for posting such detailed wheel info.

I'm looking forward to trying the BBX wheels on a couple trail trucks.  I think they'll look great.  :)

53 minutes ago, IXLR8 said:

Thanks so much for posting such detailed wheel info.

I'm looking forward to trying the BBX wheels on a couple trail trucks.  I think they'll look great.  :)

You're welcome. I was thinking they'd be perfect on the Holiday Buggy 👍

• Like 1

Touring car sized wheels certainly opens up the options considerably. The chrome wheels and their design are pretty awful looking imo, so I'm already on the lookout for stuff to replace them with!

Anyone in the UK want to go halves on a pair of front tyres for that all-important mounted spare?! :lol:

7 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Touring car sized wheels certainly opens up the options considerably. The chrome wheels and their design are pretty awful looking imo, so I'm already on the lookout for stuff to replace them with!

Anyone in the UK want to go halves on a pair of front tyres for that all-important mounted spare?! :lol:

Doesn't really open up the options for off-road tyres, but at least Tamiya haven't gone out and created another custom size for us to worry about. Hopefully there will be a few alternatives available, I'm not sure those blocky kit tyres will hook up in all conditions.

If not, since it is hexes all round then I'll assume the 4wd "star-dish" style wheels will be the ones to choose for a wider range of tyre options.