matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

3 hours ago, Vewy_nice said:

I got this exact same email, but was also given a 25% off code for the inconvenience (!!!)
Which worked on the entire new order I placed, so I got a BBX, and all the available hop-ups for just the price of the buggy. A bit disappointed I didn't really need anything else, being able to pile a bunch of stuff on at that discount would have been swell.

2 days later, the buggy shipped. Hop-ups still pending shipping, but hey I won't complain.

After reading this, I decided to roll the dice and order another discounted BBX from Tower. I guess this way I'll be ahead of the game a little, should I get a similar email of doom from my February order. Another benefit is now I can run the snot out of one of them guilt free. I doubt I'll have the good luck you did, with it shipping days later, but it's worth a shot. I hope I don't have to worry about this situation with my other 5 pre-order/backordered models . . .

All my running gear arrived and is ready to go:

PXL_20230801_204243637.thumb.jpg.0cac55e8f7024408be8cd85ae6084fa6.jpg

• Like 1

So you guys are getting BBXs from Tower?  I preordered Feb 4 and still have yet to get anything.

• Like 1

Yep.

I had originally placed my pre-order February 8th. Got the email saying it was canceled on July 31 at 1:11pm. Placed a new order at 1:45pm same day (BBX still listed as "pre-order" on product page). Buggy shipped FedEx August 2nd, and arrived at my doorstep in Rhode Island, USA on August 5th.

Seems that with the apparent chaos of their system maintenance, all semblance of first-come first-served is out the window.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Champ85 said:

So you guys are getting BBXs from Tower?  I preordered Feb 4 and still have yet to get anything.

Not me yet, I just took a chance and placed another order today, based on the experience that @Vewy_nice had. I'll certainly report back if a miracle happens. I did it more so because I'm afraid my first order (Feb. 8th) getting cancelled may be inevitable. if I eventually end up with two because it doesn't get cancelled, that's fine because I saved a bunch on both orders with discounts and points.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GToddC5 said:

After reading this, I decided to roll the dice and order another discounted BBX from Tower. I guess this way I'll be ahead of the game a little, should I get a similar email of doom from my February order. Another benefit is now I can run the snot out of one of them guilt free. I doubt I'll have the good luck you did, with it shipping days later, but it's worth a shot. I hope I don't have to worry about this situation with my other 5 pre-order/backordered models . . .

All my running gear arrived and is ready to go:

PXL_20230801_204243637.thumb.jpg.0cac55e8f7024408be8cd85ae6084fa6.jpg

Where did you find the LF2200? I can't seem to find them anywhere ... 

On 8/7/2023 at 4:25 PM, TenzoR said:

Where did you find the LF2200? I can't seem to find them anywhere ... 

I had trouble, too. My last resort was Amazon. It's already 10 14 bucks more than when I purchased, 3 weeks ago: https://a.co/d/9aaW9c5

I switched to a 23T pinion before even trying it out. Actually a lot faster than I had anticipated with the 10.5T motor! After a full pack, the motor was a bit toasty. Probably generally safe, but I think I'll bump down to a 21T and see if that's any better. I put 2 whole 5000mah packs through it after work today!

I find that it does seem to nose down a bit under certain jump conditions, which led to some serious end-over-end tumbling action as the front bumper dug into the soft dirt. Nothing broke!
Another interesting note is that I measured the spring preload clip locations with calipers, got it right on where it asked for them. The rear position is fine, but the recommended preload for the front was way too soft/little, it was dragging the front skid plate pretty bad, so I bumped up the preload and it was much more consistent with the rear. Didn't help the jumping at all either way.

I DID pop a driveshaft out of the cup once, but was able to pop it back in by fully depressing the suspension and giving it a little push. I'd say maybe put a 2 or 3mm spacer on the shock shaft and that might limit it just enough to never pop out, and that would take away barely any of the travel.
I'd try and put one of the spacers on the inside to push the dogbone in more, but the side that popped out was on the side with the diff nut, and the dogbone already rubs a little on the diff nut if the suspension is completely uncompressed, so I don't think there's actually room. Definitely a lot better than the Falcon I once had, where I painted the dogbones bright pink so I'd be able to spot them easier after they popped off every 45 seconds.

It's been a long time since I've driven a Tamiya vehicle that's quiet... Brushless, modern 3-gear transmission, 48p gears, universals... It's practically a modern buggy! I mean, it is, and it's a blast to drive, and I feel like it's going to be pretty durable, at least for the kinds of running I do.

Enjoy a bad action shot from my phone, and a static shot after a full pack on a Fujifilm digital camera from the year 2000 (hobbies begin to blend together after a little while...)

20230807_164253.jpg

DSCF0049.JPG

• Like 16

just got tracking info on my BBX, but our standard postage within Australia is painfully slow, so who's knows when it will arrive, it could be a couple of days or a couple of weeks!

• Like 2

Well, this should be a wild ride. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered on the 10th of February from Tower. I used a $25 gift card and back in April, someone stole my credit card info so the card they have on file won't work whenever they get around to fulfilling my order. I might have to place a second order if people are getting them. Also, what kind of crap operation are they running there? I mean, don't you test and test these billing/ordering systems before moving to production?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just got the notification email from my LHS that the BBX has arrived and will be shipped to me soon.  Japan is finally receiving kits now, go figure.

• Like 2

I apologize for posting another Tower Hobbies rant but I just want to post a brief final update...

I've just received an order status update from Tower in which they've acknowledged my request to cancel the order.  The request was made a week ago.

Despite reaching out to them many times over the past few weeks regarding the BBX pre-order from Feb 21st, this was the only reply I've received so far.

The email from Tower was followed by another from Horizon Hobby (Tower's parent company) asking for my feed back.  I probably should detail for them the horrible way in which they've handled this order but I've already wasted enough time with them.  I doubt it would lead to improvements anyway.   I'm done with them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/7/2023 at 9:49 PM, Raman36 said:

The fronts are same width as rears?

It‘s actually for 4WD with narrower fronts. Cannot figure out 2WD with 12mm hex fittings. So, settled for 4WD.

23 hours ago, Champ85 said:

As Mahjik mentioned couple of pages back, the horizon / tower system upgrade has been a mess. It’s created all sorts of errors with back orders.  I just finished a chat session with them. I provided them with order number. They had to cancel my pre-order from 2/6 and have me resubmit. They gave me a courtesy credit for $25 as well. Once I resubmitted the order, the agent edited it to make sure I’m back to my original prior to for 2/6/23 🤞 

Have patience with the chat functionality because it’s painful.. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Raman36 said:

As Mahjik mentioned couple of pages back, the horizon / tower system upgrade has been a mess. It’s created all sorts of errors with back orders.  I just finished a chat session with them. I provided them with order number. They had to cancel my pre-order from 2/6 and have me resubmit. They gave me a courtesy credit for $25 as well. Once I resubmitted the order, the agent edited it to make sure I’m back to my original prior to for 2/6/23 🤞 

Have patience with the chat functionality because it’s painful.. 

I just used the chat function. Told me to check back in September. Original order placed 2/5. :unsure:

Well I can't believe this, but after placing another order on Monday afternoon, I received a shipped email from Tower yesterday (Tuesday). I overlooked it because I ordered an in stock VM Golf MK.1 along with the BBX, in order to get the best discount. So, I'm looking a bit closer today and see that they charge my CC for the full order amount! Sure enough, Tower ship status shows as Shipped, with a tracking number. The package weight shows as 8.9lbs. which is too heavy for a single kit, IMHO. I should receive it tomorrow and will report back!

If this actually happens, when the heck do they plan to address my order from February? And what about the other models I have on pre-order/backordered? I don't want to place second orders on those, since I can't cancel the original orders. What a mess.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GToddC5 said:

If this actually happens, when the heck do they plan to address my order from February? And what about the other models I have on pre-order/backordered? I don't want to place second orders on those, since I can't cancel the original orders. What a mess.

I have a feeling none of those Tower pre-orders are going to get fulfilled. 

• Sad 1

On 8/7/2023 at 10:56 PM, RichieRich said:

Well, this should be a wild ride. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered on the 10th of February from Tower. I used a $25 gift card and back in April, someone stole my credit card info so the card they have on file won't work whenever they get around to fulfilling my order. I might have to place a second order if people are getting them. Also, what kind of crap operation are they running there? I mean, don't you test and test these billing/ordering systems before moving to production?

I’m been in retail for past 20+ years and have gone through multiple system upgrades, which unfortunately never go smoothly.

The product that is sold to IT and higher ups always promises the latest and greatest blah blah and it’s always a mess.

You can rant and rave and hate on tower as much as you want, but this is not the desired outcome they wanted. Aside from our orders for BB01X, just imagine how many other pre-orders are in the wind thanks to Oracles product glitch.

If you have an early pre-order, you need to do the following:

1. Log in and find your order history. If you don’t see it, select 2023 as it defaults to last six months

2. copy your order number.

3. Look on lower right hand for blue chat dialogue box, you might have to scroll down to find it 

4. Select chat and it will ask you for order number etc. At some point you will see prompt to the extent of, was your question answered. Select no and select speak to agent. Best to do this during 10 am to 5pm central time.

5. Tell agent that your pre-order from February needs to be revised.

Make sure they give you the $25 courtesy credit. My revised total order with $35 coupon and $25 credit came to $211! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Raman36 said:

You can rant and rave and hate on tower as much as you want, but this is not the desired outcome they wanted.

You're correct, of course.  I've been with the same company for nearly 30 years so I've lived through multiple system change-overs and "upgrades" and they are always messy.  But with Tower, it's not just the system implementation issues, it's their lack of communication.

Our only means to contact Tower is through their "virtual assistant" and that's fine for off-hours but someone should reply to customers within a reasonable timeframe when questions are posted during normal business hours and for me, that never happened.  I only received "case numbers" which where never followed up on.

I prefer to buy from retailers who actually communicate with their customers.

Anyway, I received an email from UPS informing me that my BBX from Amain is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  After waiting nearly 6 months, I'm really looking forward to building and running that car.  :D

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Mahjik said:

I have a feeling none of those Tower pre-orders are going to get fulfilled. 

Huh. Good info on here, I received my slipper about 2 weeks ago, I ordered it with the kit. I assumed the kit would be forthcoming, but maybe not so much. I'll have to check in. 

26 minutes ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

Huh. Good info on here, I received my slipper about 2 weeks ago, I ordered it with the kit. I assumed the kit would be forthcoming, but maybe not so much. I'll have to check in. 

Same here. Preordered BBX and slipper clutch Feb 5th. Received slipper 2 weeks ago. No update on the car though. I see Horizon has them on Amazon so not sure why I haven’t got mine yet. Waiting patiently…..

Tower is a total disaster.  I have 2 BBXs on preorder that I paid in full with a gift card I bought previously.  The order amount was $511 - $75 coupon = $436. Yesterday I got this email:

image.png.c06dfacd8f130767aad684b5c9651bcf.png

I received no such cancellation email and my backorder for the 2 BBX kits is still there and active:

image.png.f2d20501f20c3b35f132f60bcf14ede0.png

So am I using the new system or the old system to view my orders, since I can still see my backorder and it is not canceled?

Today I received another email from Tower informing me of a gift certificate for $81.20.  What the heck is that?  Certainly not the $436 I used to pay for the BBX order.  I have no other orders for that amount, and nothing on backorder besides a can of paint and the Kyosho 60th Ultima. What a cluster.  Still, I'm going to ride this out for a while and see what happens.  I am not in a hurry to receive the BBX kits and they aren't limited, so I can order again later once things calm down.

UPDATE:  I figured it out.  It's some real shady stuff that Tower does with gift certificates.

On 2022-11-23 I ordered 2 Hotshot II Blockhead Motors kits for $354.80 with credit card for payment
On 2022-12-23 I bought a $500 gift certificate
On 2023-02-04 I ordered 2 BBX kits for $436 with gift card as payment.
On 2023-03-24 Tower shipped the 2 Hotshot II Blockhead Motors kits and instead of using my credit card for payment, they took it out of the gift card balance, leaving $145.20 gift card balance (which I didn't know they did)
$436 - $354.80 = $81.20

So because I "authorized" $436 for use to pay for the BBX order on Feb 4th, when the Blockhead kits came into stock on March 24th, Tower decided to use $354.80 of that $436 to pay for the kits instead of using my credit card like I asked.  This left $81.20 in gift card funds that were still "authorized", so when the BBX order was canceled (which isn't canceled from what I can see), they "unauthorized" the $81.20 back to me as a new gift card.  But how the heck were they going to charge me for the BBX kits since I didn't have credit card as a payment method for that order.  Ah ha....I think I'm beginning to understand why they ran into a problem during the migration.  Their own shoddy business practices caught up with them under the new ordering system which probably wouldn't allow an order to be created without a way to pay for it.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

You're correct, of course.  I've been with the same company for nearly 30 years so I've lived through multiple system change-overs and "upgrades" and they are always messy.  But with Tower, it's not just the system implementation issues, it's their lack of communication.

Our only means to contact Tower is through their "virtual assistant" and that's fine for off-hours but someone should reply to customers within a reasonable timeframe when questions are posted during normal business hours and for me, that never happened.  I only received "case numbers" which where never followed up on.

I prefer to buy from retailers who actually communicate with their customers.

Anyway, I received an email from UPS informing me that my BBX from Amain is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  After waiting nearly 6 months, I'm really looking forward to building and running that car.  :D

100% agree with you there. The old tower was much better, Horizons take over guaranteed their survival but the customer service experience is gone. The decision to do away with the customer service phone line is unacceptable. The chat support is utter garbage and frustrating. 

Leaving proper feedback will hopefully wake them up. 

• Like 2

Well, here we are . . . another recent second order delivers before the original February pre-order. No idea what's going on over @ Tower. I hopped on the chat today and asked about my preorder, providing the # of course. I explained that I just ordered another one on  Monday and it shipped the next day. The guy basically told me that Tower hasn't received any yet, so how could mine ship? I told him I don't know, but I'm not the first to report this activity. FYI - I used the same method of payment and there was no crossover period of expiration dates, etc. Later on I received an email from a different person @ Tower, and they did not respond after I supplied all the info at my disposal, wondering about my other model pre-orders/backorders and my fear of the orders getting cancelled and me losing my earned and used discounts on those orders. Oh well, time will tell . . . but for now:

PXL_20230810_232715347.thumb.jpg.433f11e8eb23679cd0dda37bf0b7cfde.jpg

• Like 5