Jump to content
matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

Recommended Posts

I think this shock mount bar is a great idea. Hopefully, it limits the flex. I have a feeling that the real issue is the length of the mounting post. This reminds me of the FF01 front shock tower where the shock literally mounts to a long stem. That much leverage will eventually cause the mounting point to crack or break clean off. :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2023 at 6:08 AM, Raman36 said:

BBS or?
 

72246274323__0612DCAD-D734-4EF6-94C2-C90EF50EAB4F.jpeg

Smart idea using the wider rims on the back to ‘fatten up’ the back tyre 👍🏻

I think the Gold BBS with the kit stripes if your using them or maybe Gunmetal/Black centres (to go with the Cage/Chassis) if you’re not?

(P.S I’m also recommending the BBS as I have a set of 5 Spokes spare and then I haven’t completely copied you if I get a BBX 😉)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that it doesn’t fit is a good thing. I highly advise against a 3S on a 2WD buggy. Just go up in motor, maybe a 13.5 brushless. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following a bit of discussion up above on the rear shock top mount points, flex in the cage etc, I'm trying another little (cheap) mod to try to solve this. 

20240205_194834

I've used a 50mm threaded spacer as others have (I needed to add an additional 1mm for good fit, by the way, and to shave down a nub in the middle of the cage) but I have also added Hornet shock brackets and rotated the shock tops 90°.

My shocks were spaced outboard more than stock, because of my widening mods, so the issue was more pronounced on mine, but it's already an issue built stock, IMO. Plus, I didn't much like the crude nut holding the (loose) top cap onto its ball, or the simple fact it's bearing up outboard on a long screw. 

This mod builds on the stiffness of the aluminium bar by replacing the cantilevered screw with a deeper bracket. The bracket should also take most of the scratching in a rollover. 

You might think with a trailing arm that the rotation of the shock top would be almost entirely fore-aft. Howevever, with the short control arms it needs just as much left/right rotation in this case. Plus on watching it through the travel, the reality I have found is that there's very little of either up top. So from a movement perspective I think it's immaterial which way round this top cap is mounted. 

I also designed for 3d printing a mount for Hobbywing switches. It mounts where the kit one goes. I don't yet know whether it'll clear the driver figure but it mounts the switch securely enough and in a decent place. 

20240205_194852 20240205_194925

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so Ive had this since September. Lets just look at the facts.

I have £550-600 in this buggy. I thoroughly enjoyed building it. I know I didnt need Brushless System and the servo may be over kill. I also have a Slipper Clutch and TA06 Gear Diff, and the spare wheel. But thats where it is.

Now I know Im the guy who is used to much more powerful/larger scale R/Cs. Im usually out with my X Maxx, so going to this Tamiya was a bit of an odd choice for me. However, I really wasn't gelling with the BBX. I couldnt help thinking how much better off Id have been with literally any other RTR. I struggled to use it, which is probably more on me. It wasnt good enough off road, and it just span a bit too much. I adore how it looks, and the build, but dare I say it, I was massively dissappointed with the BBX. As I say, its probably a me thing. I compare it to say a Rustler 4x4, which can be had for similar money as what I have invested, and it just doesn't make any sense to me, other than being far prettier. 

Im well bitten by Tamiya now, and my Traxxas' etc sit gathering dust. I've picked up an Top Force Evo, and my plan was that 2WD was the issue not just the BBX, so I was going to strip the BBX of its electronics, put them in something else and maybe move the BBX on. However, I decided to have one last bash today.

I didnt really want to drive around a car park, but I struggled for places to go. I charged up a 2S lipo and off I went....

Ironically I ended up at a car park, because Severn Trent are doing some work on the 'stoney bit' so.....

I genuinely had a good time. It seemed to perform a bit better than I remembered. I probably had it out more today than I have since Ive owned it combined! I still spin out under braking far too often, and maybe Id benefit from a slower power system (as the lipo was charging, I pulled out a 1060/Superstock BZ combo to downgrade too) but I had quite a bit of fun.

I even moved Severn Trent's cones to make a little track.

gswJJUK.jpeg

 

iWHqxTP.jpeg

 

7bYPlNr.jpeg

Here's the Top Force Evo I intended using over the BBX..... Not sure now??

vdUvIuE.jpeg

U9ElGD7.jpeg

Maybe in the Spring Ill find some dusty tracks and the BBX will come into its element.

So for now, the BBX survives the chopping block!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally find 2WD far more entertaining to just drive around a dusty car park or back garden. 4WD is incredibly capable, but less rewarding unless it's a very loose surface - and the speeds tend to be higher with 4WD, which means crashes are far more frequent and there's more momentum carried-through.

I get where you're coming from though - it's an expensive endeavour for some fairly mediocre (yet nostalgic) performance. I didn't bother fitting a slipper clutch, I much prefer the ability to wheel spin it with a stab of throttle mid-corner and I'm worried that a clutch would counteract the torque? I don't know. I know they're geared at those who regularly jump the car so as not to damage the rest of the drivetrain with gear lash.

I don't think I could sell mine, mainly cos I don't know what I'd replace it with. I love how my FAV drives and I was really looking for a more capable / modern version and I think that's the role the BBX fulfills. FAV feels heavy and fragile but the BBX, though it exhibits similar driving traits, feels a lot stronger.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I personally find 2WD far more entertaining to just drive around a dusty car park or back garden. 4WD is incredibly capable, but less rewarding unless it's a very loose surface - and the speeds tend to be higher with 4WD, which means crashes are far more frequent and there's more momentum carried-through.

I get where you're coming from though - it's an expensive endeavour for some fairly mediocre (yet nostalgic) performance. I didn't bother fitting a slipper clutch, I much prefer the ability to wheel spin it with a stab of throttle mid-corner and I'm worried that a clutch would counteract the torque? I don't know. I know they're geared at those who regularly jump the car so as not to damage the rest of the drivetrain with gear lash.

I don't think I could sell mine, mainly cos I don't know what I'd replace it with. I love how my FAV drives and I was really looking for a more capable / modern version and I think that's the role the BBX fulfills. FAV feels heavy and fragile but the BBX, though it exhibits similar driving traits, feels a lot stronger.

I think a lot of this boils down to power, I think the 5400kv Sensored Brushless system on 2S is too much maybe? Im just ‘used to’ a Slipper Clutch/Gear diff being standard attire for a brushless off road RC, as you say may not be necessary.

I think its just the amount of money Ive got invested in this. If I dont think about it (and lets be honest, I shouldn’t think about it, its spent, the money has gone) I enjoy it, but I think I just expect more for whats been spent. I can’t imagine going into a modelshop and buying this unless you’re massively invested in the brand, and being satisfied compared to the rivals. Im sure Im missing the point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Here's the Top Force Evo I intended using over the BBX..... Not sure now??

vdUvIuE.jpeg

If you've got it, why not use it? 4wd Buggys are fun on the right surface.

I hear where you're coming from with 2wd, I have an easy time controlling RWD on brushed power, but the moment that I throw a brushless system into any of my 2wd Traxxas and its just spin city.

Dialing back the power is a good idea, but I can't help but think that the kit tires are a part of the problem too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

 

Dialing back the power is a good idea, but I can't help but think that the kit tires are a part of the problem too.

Well the way its going, ill need new rears soon ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I didn't bother fitting a slipper clutch, I much prefer the ability to wheel spin it with a stab of throttle mid-corner and I'm worried that a clutch would counteract the torque? I don't know. I know they're geared at those who regularly jump the car so as not to damage the rest of the drivetrain with gear lash.

I may well be proven wrong here (I have no real experience and haven't even tested the buggy with and without), but I hypothesised with mine that there was probably enough room for preference in the slipper setting to (mostly) avoid this sort of performance effect. So I'm really just chucking out a theory for it to be debunked. 

I thought it worth protecting from more extreme shocks but I didn't feel the need to protect my diff or other parts from normal driving which I don't expect would harm them. And I was really only thinking of the diff. Although I have yet to damage a ball diff, I have also yet to damage other driveline parts in a 2wd buggy, so my slipper purchase was mainly just a reaction to others finding ball diffs to be a bit fragile. 

My slipper slips before my diff, so I figure that it should protect the diff from sharp shocks well enough, but it doesn't slip particularly easily. I set it with the bench test but the front wheels lift a bit higher than I've seen it described.

I doubt my slipper is loose enough that the friction between tyre and dirt or tarmac under braking (or the fairly easy slide situation from power mid corner) is enough to overcome it. I think on the surfaces I run on a loss of tyre traction is going to come before a slipper slip. I figured it'd be some scenario other than this (maybe combining jump landing levels of downforce with a grippier bit of surface) that I'd be looking to protect against. 

Maybe really straight hard acceleration like a drag start on a good surface is an exception. I tightened it up enough I don't think I hear it slip now but it stands to reason that's a pretty tough test, plus I haven't yet found a sufficiently grippy surface. 

Or, would you say that my slipper is now achieving absolutely nothing useful because I've set it too tight? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, will the motor I'm planning to use fit? is it too long? I'm thinking of 3800kv on 2s with the stock gear, I don't really need it to go warp 9. 

rocket_motor.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main issue I see with that motor is the large 5mm shaft. The kit included pinion gear is 3mm or 1/8". I would imagine you could source a 5mm bore 48 pitch pinion if you needed to use that motor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otis311 said:

The main issue I see with that motor is the large 5mm shaft. The kit included pinion gear is 3mm or 1/8". I would imagine you could source a 5mm bore 48 pitch pinion if you needed to use that motor.

thanks but the motor shaft is actually 3.175mm, there are 2 versions of the motor. I'm good to go? Id like to have everything ready before building the kit thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot make any guarantees on a particular motor fitting. There was a recent thread about problems fitting motors and ESCs in the BBX. It's worth a quick read. Here's the link:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I added the optional shock tower bar to my BBX over the weekend. It does make a difference in the amount of flex.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, GazCFC said:

Surely the bbx is a modern take on the old rough rider

I'd agree but technically since the Rough Rider started it all you could say that about any Tamiya 2wd buggy including the Wild One.  

Tamiya 2wd buggies.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone put a wing on the car in place of the spare tire?

mine arrives this week. Just thinking about things I want to do in the build. 
thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, stulec52 said:

Has anyone put a wing on the car in place of the spare tire?

mine arrives this week. Just thinking about things I want to do in the build. 
thanks 

Not yet, but I do have the hard plastic wing and aluminium mount from AliExpress that I've decided not to fit, if you're in the UK I'd be happy to sell that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Not yet, but I do have the hard plastic wing and aluminium mount from AliExpress that I've decided not to fit, if you're in the UK I'd be happy to sell that. 

I’m in Canada. 
 Did you maybe have a link for the one you got?

 I can just order directly   

 

thanks

Edited by stulec52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2024 at 8:18 PM, OnTheTrail said:

I'd agree but technically since the Rough Rider started it all you could say that about any Tamiya 2wd buggy including the Wild One.  

Tamiya 2wd buggies.jpg

I think they're all great

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if Already brought up but the 18 pinion in the box looks like aluminium so i wonder if i need to replace it to avoid metal poo from it ?. 
If yes ofc 18 is the only one i do not have in a steel pinion set bag i have which includes 19-20-21-22. Its my first Brushless setup 10.5 Tamiya, i have spent little time learning the gearing as it very fast gets confusing for me so not sure if i might as well can use one off those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, simalarion said:

Sorry if Already brought up but the 18 pinion in the box looks like aluminium so i wonder if i need to replace it to avoid metal poo from it ?. 
If yes ofc 18 is the only one i do not have in a steel pinion set bag i have which includes 19-20-21-22. Its my first Brushless setup 10.5 Tamiya, i have spent little time learning the gearing as it very fast gets confusing for me so not sure if i might as well can use one off those?

If i remember correctly, most people say it's geared too low for brushless with the 18 anyway and you'd want to go bigger. Although I can't remember what mine is. So I would try one of those and check for heat. I suspect (but could have confused it with TD4) that I have something like a 25-26t pinion in mine) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...