matisse

BB01 BBX RC : speculation/rumours/hope

The name isn't great and the price should be around £200 to be more competitive, not keen on ball diffs as well but the proof will be in the building/running/maintaining etc

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elbowloh said:

Trigger pulled from Tamico.

It just had to be done! 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B.RAD said:

Ordered! Couldn't resist. Very excited to get a new model, can't wait to build it.

@B.RAD is back. Joined the forum around the same time as I did and also started with a Mad Bull if I'm correct. Welcome back ;).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, taffer said:

The name isn't great and the price should be around £200 to be more competitive, not keen on ball diffs as well but the proof will be in the building/running/maintaining etc

Agreed.  £300+ street price sounds a bit steep for what it is, but I guess it'll drop over time as it's a stand 58xxx series kit.  Closer to £200 sounds about right, £225-£250ish.

It's not the type of buggy I like so it's a definite pass from me this one, even at a lower price.

• Like 1

I'm in! Admittedly I've only been back into this hobby for the last 4 years but IMO this is the best looking new buggy-thing that Tamiya have released since I've been paying attention

Shall wait and see what Fusion's price ends up at after TC discount before jumping at Tamico...

• Like 2

I really like the look of it and the trailing arm suspension, going to be tough deciding between this and the new Kyosho dirtmaster. Not too thrilled that it has a ball diff though, hopefully they come out with a gear diff upgrade or one just fits in. Price is going to be the main deciding factor for me, between the BB-01 and RB5 I'll probably end up with whatever kit ends up being cheaper in the US

2 hours ago, GeeWings said:

I can’t stop looking at it! In my opinion it totally puts the kyosho dirt master aesthetic in the shade. 

I agree. However, (correct me if I'm wrong but) I'd have thought the low and wide and lighter and double wishbone Kyosho (plus perhaps COG not so far back?) will blow it out of the water in terms of performance?

Thats not to say I don't fancy it. It looks awesome. I just doubt they're meant to be the same thing/class? 

• Like 2

I'm totally digging this. B)

Love the Super Champ-esque initial styling.

Front & rear suspension is screaming some kind of upcoming 'Nova Falcon'.

Also having a similar front suspension & the caged body has a Bear Hawk feel to it...

Time will tell I guess.

• Like 4

Huh. Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that. Looks good! Not great, but good. I hate the wheels, but if I'm seeing things right, it has hub-mounted bearings instead of a stub axle with bearings in the wheels, which probably means 12mm hexes in front, so you could put anything on there.

I'll be interested to see the chassis details/instruction manual when they become available.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bavee said:

@B.RAD is back. Joined the forum around the same time as I did and also started with a Mad Bull if I'm correct. Welcome back ;).

Thank you! You're right, been away a while but had a number of projects in the meantime. Been looking for something to scratch the build itch for a few months now and this looked just perfect!

30 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

if I'm seeing things right, it has hub-mounted bearings instead of a stub axle with bearings in the wheels, which probably means 12mm hexes in front, so you could put anything on there.

I agree looking at the front upright Hop-Ups.  The rear wheels and tyres can also fit onto the front....  then it just needs a variant of the cage and a truck body and you have a BBT  BB-01

Just saying...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Huh. Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that. Looks good! Not great, but good. I hate the wheels, but if I'm seeing things right, it has hub-mounted bearings instead of a stub axle with bearings in the wheels, which probably means 12mm hexes in front, so you could put anything on there.

I'll be interested to see the chassis details/instruction manual when they become available.

Tamico has some 'wheels off' pictures confirming front hex so hopefully plenty of other options for wheels

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-58715-BBX-Buggy-BB-01-Kit

• Like 1

I think i like it…. But im also kinda disappointed as well.

Its nice to see something new, but then its pretty much the Rough Rider updated and another roll-cage buggy after the blockhead releases etc.

That said, its nice to see something with alloy shocks and Bearings as standard

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, matisse said:

Its nice to see something new, but then its pretty much the Rough Rider updated and another roll-cage buggy after the blockhead releases etc.

What would you have like to seen from Tamiya?

26 minutes ago, toyolien said:

For me, the "best of both worlds" modern and retro idea would apply a wider track to this at least, probably with double wishbone rear suspension to achieve that and better geometry. Perhaps also bring the motor forward but that might kill the retro feel too much. Wheels and tyres user choice anyway. But some chrome is pretty cool if not necessarily going to last. So broadly modern ideas in terms of it getting round corners and not falling over all the time, albeit no need to pretend it's a genuine race car. 

Then again, they developed the Falcon chassis to take double wishbone rear suspension and that made some well liked models, so it's conceivable this is in mind.

I still applaud this though. I was very much in the camp of wanting to see something with a retro or "scale" type shell and something a bit different. It's those things in spades. 

• Like 2

Im really surprised at the wheel tyre combo - these look like new mouldings.

Pleasantly suprised it doesnt have the star dish wheel and tyre combo a la DT02 etc which have been continually recycled a million times

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ministrone said:

Its a lovely looking thing, I bet it won't be cheap.

Nothing is cheap anymore.  :(

6 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

Well, I think I want one.

You and me both!

6 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

I'm ordering this if it's reasonably priced... RWD with trailing arms? A body that looks like an actual thing? And that front end looks pretty tough... This thing will be driven and enjoyed, no shelf queen here!!

Yes, if the durability is there, this looks to have the potential as a really fun semi-scale runner.

3 hours ago, taffer said:

Can't make everyone happy...

1 hour ago, Falcon#5 said:

I'm totally digging this. B)

Love the Super Champ-esque initial styling.

The styling gets more clever the more I look at it.  It definitely has the overall feel of a modern "Rough Rider" (an homage I think they paid forward with the "Rough Ride" stickers), and yet it has elements of many others too.  Overall box art is very reminiscent of the "Rothman" liveries of days gone by, and the yellow/orange/red stripes to a great job of tying in the Super Champ and Bigwig cars.

It's quite clever and handsome, IMO...

1 minute ago, Superluminal said:

Im really surprised at the wheel tyre combo - these look like new mouldings.

Pleasantly suprised it doesnt have the star dish wheel and tyre combo a la DT02 etc which have been continually recycled a million times

Yup, more good details.  The more you look, the better it gets.  If the plastics are good quality, we could have a pretty rad new kit here.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, toyolien said:

For me, I would like to see a 2WD buggy with a vintage design/body shell and over a chassis with a modern drive train (ball diff /gear diff option, slipper clutch, battery options for standard pack or shortys,...). Like what @Collin present five month ago:

The Project X - Pre-series premiere exclusive on TC

IMO the BB-01 chassis makes a lot of things better than the TD2, but not so far that I would buy this directly. But to be honest, I am positively surprised.
And I’m also excited how the battery has to be de-/installed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1