Rally!

Audi Quattro A2 Rally

Hi.

About a year ago, I purchased the Audi Quattro Rally TT-02.

My goal for this build is to make the car as if it were on a tarmac stage. This means the car will be in 'low ride height spec'. Sorry, no rally blocks here. 

Some pics of what I'm going for:

1334697838_TarmacQuattro.thumb.jpg.1c73efbc147f472a2e7a203c57b23178.jpg

I'm also going to try to make it handle and drive in a 'scale' way. I want the car to pitch, buck, lean, roll and understeer (a bit) just like the real Quattro did. To accomplish this, I'll probably be adding some extra weight to the car.

In terms of modifications or hop-ups, there won't be that many. I'm want to run the car stock, and slowly add to it to see what difference they actually make.

The upgrades I've purchased are:

1. Bearing set

2. Low friction suspension balls

3. 68T high speed spur 

4. Aluminuminuummumm driveshaft

5. CVA super minis

6. Turnbuckle steering tie-rods (more on this later :()

7. Different wheels with a touch more offset.

I've noticed the TT-02 sits slightly higher at the front when built. To fix this, I trimmed on of the tabs on the rear lower suspension arms to make it sit a bit more level.

Here is a pic of where the build stands now:

IMG_2107.thumb.jpeg.af164df026638a2fab85bf41d3cbb920.jpeg

Unfortunately, I was installing the turnbuckle tie rods the other day and snapped both the metal ball ends. The remaining threads are lodged firmly in the uprights so Ive had to order a new parts tree. 

I've tried to remove them but so far nothing has worked. I'll probably just revert back to the stock steering arms. I don't really need the turnbuckle system for what I'm trying to accomplish. Lesson learned.

While waiting for the new parts, I'll probably begin to tackle the body. 

I'll post updates as soon as they happen. Any questions, suggestions, critiques are more than welcome.

Thanks, guys. 

• Like 4

Adding weight could give the car the right "behaviour" :-) A guy on YouTube (Katu Rou) has done just that. He added approx. 0,8 kg of weight to his TT-02D and looking at the video it seems to be right approach. In my book anyway. He uses wheel balance weight mounted inside the body shell. Have a look: 

• Like 1

Quick update. Just a pick of the hop-ups I plan on installing later on. Very basic. I'm trying to keep the 'blue' to a minimum. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not a big fan of how it looks. 

IMG_2109.thumb.jpeg.c3c67e5e1f715349be73b522afb1d98c.jpeg

• Like 2

My Quattro A2 rally build was very fun and I hope you enjoy yours as well. I do recommend to get a new steering horn/saver but other than that I think you got everything you need!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nesrak said:

My Quattro A2 rally build was very fun and I hope you enjoy yours as well. I do recommend to get a new steering horn/saver but other than that I think you got everything you need!

Thanks. I enjoyed following your build. 

Just wondering if I should upgrade the servo, especially if I'm going to add weight to the car.??

I have a Futaba S3004. Pretty basic. Will it be enough?

On 12/27/2022 at 5:09 AM, Rally! said:

Just wondering if I should upgrade the servo, especially if I'm going to add weight to the car.??

I have a Futaba S3004. Pretty basic. Will it be enough?

Not an expert in servos, but I'd say a stronger servo is needed. Or you could always give your Futaba a run for it's money and see what happens :-)

From Katu Rou's video above I think he uses a strong Sanwa Brushless servo (from what I could gather from his video).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GreatDane said:

Not an expert in servos, but I'd say a stronger servo is needed. Or you could always give your Futaba a run for it's money and see what happens :-)

From Katu Rou's video above I think he uses a strong Sanwa Brushless servo (from what I could gather from his video).

Yeah. I'll see how the Futaba goes. I'm running the car close to stock at first.

• Like 1

Just a quick update:

My replacement parts have finally arrived. Now I can replace the uprights after the....'incident'.

So the question is, do I go back to the stock steering arm set-up, or do I try again and order another turnbuckle set to replace the one I ruined?

IMG_2122.thumb.jpeg.bcfe88d8bf6867fa80ca0a6bcb6e43b3.jpeg

7 hours ago, Rally! said:

Just a quick update:

My replacement parts have finally arrived. Now I can replace the uprights after the....'incident'.

So the question is, do I go back to the stock steering arm set-up, or do I try again and order another turnbuckle set to replace the one I ruined?

IMG_2122.thumb.jpeg.bcfe88d8bf6867fa80ca0a6bcb6e43b3.jpeg

I would try going for either a Tamiya turnbuckle set, although I do not know what the right ones are, or the dedicated yeah racing set. I have the Tamiya set that was included with my servo horn and steering rack that works nicely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nesrak said:

I would try going for either a Tamiya turnbuckle set, although I do not know what the right ones are, or the dedicated yeah racing set. I have the Tamiya set that was included with my servo horn and steering rack that works nicely.

It was a Tamiya turnbuckle set. The ball studs snapped and those (specific size) don't seem to be available separately. So I'll need to buy the entire set.