Sign in to follow this  
silvertriple

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear...

After the print of the bevel gear 27T confirmed I could be slightly more optimistic about prints, I launched the full Big Bear gear set

I checked after a few layers to see it was ok to continue...
uDX8lBE.jpg

And it was... 2 hours later, I had the full gear set on the bed.
uDX8lBE.jpg

Once there, only remain the key thing : testing... I took the original diff, the printed one...
EVj2JuL.jpg

And tried all the possible combinations. I'm very happy to report a full success on this... Next tests will be about the gearbox and rear arms...

• Like 1

Gearbox parts are printed...
gYiXrdn.jpg

Good : 
- it matches the profile of the original gearbox, and holes positions are correct, axles as well, and on all faces...

Bad or mixed...
- it is really tight with the arms axes. I'll recheck the measurements, but I may have to review the main extrusions for the axles on each side to give more clearance.
- I can't really check the internal recesses are right as the surface is not good enough on the side with the centering plot... I may need to reprint it without the centering plot...

I'll have further checks on the model and the gearboxes tomorrow...

After analysis, the issue came from the fact that the extrusions are slightly conical... I measured them at the basis, and there is .4mm of difference in the diameter between the base and the top... I've reviewed the diameter to correspond to the top rather than the base...

Spend some time to do a cluster with the full Big Bear gear set in strengthened version (module .8). I also added whatever was needed to complete it for the Super Wheelie, within the same mod and a ratio as close as possible than the original gearset in module .6, and since I had many Hunter / Galaxy chassis, I could do good use of the same diff, as it is drop in as long as the idle gear and pinion are in .8 mod. The cluster is all in one and would work with any of the 2WD Marui cars... I've ordered 2 MJF PA12 prints of this to test it on all the different targeted cars (one is PA12 Glass Filled - I have a doubt I want to check, reason why I proceeded this way). It will take some time to come, as I ordered in economy to reduce the expense...

Started to work out the CJ-7 bodyshell
U6nrOfI.jpg

I took the same approach as for the Land cruiser... Model half part of the main body, then the bonnet, shell seperated and then assemble them... And here is the progress so far...
eHFFOA5.jpg

• Like 3

The CJ-7 bodyshell is very detailed, and this turn to be as complex as you may think...

Did multiple tries for the front until I get a way which I was satisfied with...
aAf5KKd.jpg

It took me a while to get to the point of having a front somewhat similar to what I see... And yet, I'm not 100% happy with it, as there is some Fusion 360 limitations thet blocks me to do better...
d0Sn03H.jpg

Compared to the front, the rear is an easy one... And it starts to take shape... Although there is far too many sketches so far...
nN0bcnv.jpg

Here is the body in its current state on the chassis...
L8QV65t.jpg

There is still a lot of work : the rear end, the top, the elements on the bonnet and the windshield fixation... And yet already about 40 sketches... :roll: 

• Like 1

I was talking about the rear side to someone... I even took a picture of it...
hX8Mxmb.jpg

My thoughts : The designer who made it probably thought that 40 years after him someone would tried to model it in CAD and decided to give him some hard time :-D

Anyway, I decided to cheat, as mentioned earlier... I put a lid on the toolbox and identified it clearly. This car is going to go fast with my improved gears, so there is a fair reason to put a lid on the toolbox :lol:  :mrgreen: 
DVrYlfN.jpg

Then, moved to the seats... They are challenging, somehow... Did simplified them, in a similar way than what I did for the Land Cruiser... There is always a way to do better, but i DId not want to spend too much time for it... That being said, thinking now, I may have done this in Surface mode perhaps in an easier way...
J9qbY0y.jpg

Added the last details : blinkers, room for the windshield fixation, hole for the gear lever and the switch...
87Owlum.jpg

And here it is on the chassis...
TzhL1KR.jpg

There is still some parts to do to complete the shell : the dasboard, the windshield. Most of the accessories are common to the Land Cruiser: I identified one difference : the spare wheel is not fully covered like on the Land Cruiser...
That's my next steps for this afternoon, probably in parallel to some Nichimo test prints...

• Like 1

After my last post, I moved over to next complex part : the dashboard... The structure is different from the Land Cruiser, and this time, I had it in hands (I still need to get the one from the Land Cruiser to be able to correct the model). There is a wall closing the bodyshell, and leaving room for the driver feets, and including the thransmission funnel...
dLvhDL6.jpg

A lot of details aalso...
85Wxn5g.jpg

This parts required 3 lofts... And therefore already 9 sketches just for those. Total 18 sketches...
K8TtO56.jpg

Then I took care of the Windshield... Profile is right, as it matches the sketch on the screen... I corrected the weepers as the right one was too long and the left one was too short :-D
BTB1g32.jpg

After this being done, I got the accessory from the Land Cruiser and imported them... I noticed that the front of the roll cage is different as larger. The Land Cruiser one was glued and I did not bother modelling it in three parts. I had to redo it for the CJ-7. Which was quickly done, and I spotted a mistake I'll have to correct on the Land Cruiser cage (for which the Dashboard is not properly measured because I did not have it, and it supports the windshield). I sill have the spare wheel to modify to make it more CJ-7... But this is already nice this way...
yZwNJOw.jpg

I do have the intention of doing some rendering of those cars all together... But not for now :-)

• Like 1

I am in awe of your modelling prowess!

Had a Big Bear back in the mid to late nineties (my early teens) but have no idea where it went, probably went out in one of my moves since.

The diff on mine shredded after a couple of years so for the last few it was a static model for me but i still loved it.

Very much enjoying seeing the parts of it again, had an AHA moment when i saw the front body attachment part, how it just slotted in there and used body clips in the back.

Seeing that printable body shell i may have a go at printing one and fitting it to something so i can drive what looks like one again :)

There was two versions of the SuperWheelies with the CJ-7 bodyshell...

One was white, and one was black... The white had black arms, while the black had red arms...
M2hhDin.jpg
6T3wurA.jpg
B2YQqVx.jpg
NDBzjsa.jpg
Upfuoeb.jpg

I'm quite sure the Black with red arms was faster :-D

And another chassis family picture...
vPROekd.jpg
sMRjeJO.jpg

It's incomplete : there was Land cruiser with blue bodyshell, and additionally, I believ that one of the Super Wheelies had some grey arms, but I'm not fully sure which it was...

Super Wheelies...
qnx5wbu.png
qAQMwfk.png

1983 models, They had a 6V chassis and suspension arms colored: 
- Super Wheelie - Land Cruiser white bodyshell, arms and wheelie bar were grey
- Super Wheelie -  CJ-7 Golden Eagle Black bodyshell, arms and wheelie bar were red

1985 models, 7.2V chassis, with black arms:
- Land Cruiser superwheelie : Blue bodyshell
- CJ-7 GoldenEagle super wheelie : White bodyshell

And a render with the Big Bear and its unreleased prototype:
tZaWCDx.png

• Like 1

The prototype of my Universal Marui Gear (Mod 0.8) set is arrived...

Here is the design:
RPYtVMN.jpg
ehgXDL0.jpg

It was designed to cope with all 2WD Marui cars, and to get as closed as possible of the standard Mod 0.6 gears ratios. It includes even the motor pinions (but I may decide to remove them at the end (not yet 100% sure), it is based on the Big Bear V2 differential design and it was clustered with the intention to reduce the total cost...

I will check the fitting and clearances in Hunter/Galaxy and Super Wheelie/Big Bear gearbox tonight (in both PA12 and PA12/GF).

• Like 2

I did the tests, and there is some good and some bad stuff

The Differential is a perfect fit, as expected, it works smooth and insert the axles shows the right clearances, and that on all the tests
Ye8FxvC.jpg

On the Hunter/Galaxy, I did the idle gear without test fitting the new diff, as I didn't have the Hunter chassi model. Bad mistake. I should have, as I had the idle gear modded in .6 mod to get it closer to the motor to allow the usage of pinions we can find nowadays. The out diff bevel gear is larger on the new diff, and that colides with the idle gear while it was not within the older design. I cut it (removed the 2 mm added on the opposite side from the motor) to test the fitting with a motor pinion. I will review the idle gear and review my file accordingly. Not too much correction : it is adding an extrusion on one side and remove it on the other side.
cGDvGt2.jpg

On the Big Bear and the Super Wheelie, the fit is perfect between the diff and the idle gear, however in one of the configuration, I made a mistake when I set the number of teeths of the pinion, because it doesn't mesh... I did this a morning, and it seems that some home activities were a little bit more disturbing than I expected.
oWRZFtK.jpg

I will modify slightly the motor pinions to make it more resistant : there is not enough material to maintain the grub screw properly, it breaks if torquened too much...

• Like 1

very cool, despite some slight modifications needed, I would say thats pretty successful. Not that the cars will necessarily see a lot of use, but how well do you think the printed gears will last?

11 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

very cool, despite some slight modifications needed, I would say thats pretty successful. Not that the cars will necessarily see a lot of use, but how well do you think the printed gears will last?

Generally, within the same mod, as it is nylon, I would expect it to be more resistant to wear due to higher deflection temp than original gears... Changing the mod is likely to change the game as there is more material in the tooth. That being said, original spur gears in the Super wheelie and Big Bear were in zamac and not very resistant, and I have no clue about zamac vs nylon... 

Will have to find out... 

hmm, haven’t heard of Zamac plastic before, I am guessing it’s a propriety name for a plastic and its actually some form of ABS or maybe even an acetal based polymer, Although they tend to be hard wearing, so maybe not. 

Original gears were abs... On the big bear and super wheelie, the idle gear was in the same poor metal alloy used for the Hunter pinions. It's what is called zamac, and it doesn't resist long to wear... 

45 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

Original gears where abs... On the big bear and super wheelie, the idle gear was in the same poor metal alloy used for the Hunter pinions. It's what is called zamac, and it doesn't resist long to wear... 

ah, ok, that makes sense, I google Zamac and got an alloy, but was thinking the idle gear was plastic like on the Galaxy.

In terms of longevity, a good indication is that FDM printed Nylon / CF gears are eating aluminium pinions fast (got this information on rc10talk, by someone I'm fully confident on what he is saying). For the Hunter and Galaxy, it should work well, either in Nylon or Nylon GF. For the Super Wheelie, Big Bear, I have some doubts due to the part of the idle gear being in contact with the diff very small, with not much material to diffuse heating.... I will need to try this.

The final version of the Marui 2WD untiversal gearset is born...
FrYkb9U.jpg

Test fit for Super Wheelie
FniY2Ph.jpg

Test fit for Big Bear
FniY2Ph.jpg

Test fit for Hunter/Galaxy
uXamm7F.jpg

The Idle gear for the Hunter/Galaxy is on the sprue in two versions : one for standard original shaft, and the second one made to fit ball bearings on a 3mm axle (the original shaft is not a 3mm shaft but slightly more)...
I'll open a Shapeways shop for those soon, as there is already a bunch of people requesting this :-)

• Like 4

I set a silvertriple shop on shapeways... I had to order a part from my shop, and just noticed the shipment cost which are a bit crazy...
Anyway, it's live now, people should be able to order the part and as well replacement idle gears for this set (that's the Hunter part I ordered as I needed one to replace the faulty one from the prototype, as I needed to order a part to open the shop).

I also tried to make sure the information provided is clear enough so people don't order just the idle gear for their car while it is just a raplacement...

Let's see how this goes... But hey, I wish there was cheaper alternatives for people who needs them.

Last night, I launched a long print (ok, ot so long, it would have taken much more time on the E5+)...

The Big Bear / Super Wheelie 3 part chassis for dimensional test...

• Like 2

Lot of Marui stuff those times...

Last time printed the three parts of the chassis to test it. I had to check 2 dimensions : one requiring the 3 parts (body mounts positions), second one being the rear rigid axle position...
I printed all on the same plate, not in an optimal position, and without using the mutimaterial capabilities of the AMS system, as I still have 2 rolls of Amazon basics filament to finish. That makes the case for this. Once those 2 rols are depleted, I will use PETG as interface support for PLA prints, and that will be much better... In the meantime, the quality is not that good, but the target was not really quality...
https://youtu.be/kG9mu75rafQ

The 3 part printed (NB:I removed the antenna supports to get the rear flat on the bed).
01UkENf.jpg

With the orientation I used for the print, I'm almost sure the nut pockets are not that good quality either due to supports, but nut and bolts were not required for the test fit...
dHHhl6x.jpg

The rigid axle take place perfectly, and it is moving as it should. I'm happy with this. I have no doubts on the front side, and it is not even critical on front side...
s2SLdL6.jpg

One thing that I absolutely needed to check was the position of the body rear body mounts... I checked with both CJ-7 and Big Bear bodyshells, and it is lining up...
f9W9nlr.jpg

This means it is very good :-)

• Like 3

Since I started the experimentation with the Flex resin printed tires, I have a big question remaining in my mind... Would it be possible to print a Big Bear tire this way...

I've opened chitubox, put the tire in (not much ways to change the orientation), added supports and looked at it:
EMcUBpv.jpg

It appears my printer's bed is way too small for this... I'll have to try the molding way...