Hello, i could get a Losi LMT Grave Digger for about € 450,-.

But i`m still using NiMhs, because all of my cars are stores in a wooden cabin, i don`t run my cars that often and i don`t know anything about Lipos.

I`m scared that the Lipos will discharge or get damaged and will burn the house down.

Can i run a LMT on NiMhs?

Interested in this answer too. Its one of the things that's kept me from buying one as I still use NiMhs too.

I have a Lmt grave digger and although I haven't actually tried it on the digger on other models I have found some esc's expect to see lipos and if rated 3-4s they won't even work on a 2s lipo. So I'd say with some confidence that no it won't, not without changing the electrics

I have an LMT also and I run it on 2s for the kids... So the ESC, despite the 3-4s rating, does function on 2s.

I don't have the proper connectors to test this out (LMT is on XT90, the few NiMHs I have are on xt60) but I've run many of my vehicles on both Lipo and NiMH with no trouble. The only issue is ensuring that the battery cut-off setting in the ESC is in the proper mode (Lipo vs NiMH). If you use the NiMH setting on a Lipo battery, you will over-discharge the Lipo. I don't know what happens in reverse, as I've never done it. However, no need to test this, just use the right setting ;)

EDIT: using the lipo setting on NiMH will just reduce your run time (as your ESC will enter LVC prematurely), but won't damage anything.

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/10435598-running-nimh-lipo-mode.html

Edit #2: Here is what chatGPT told me when I asked the question:

44614587_ScreenShot2022-12-23at11_04_46AM.thumb.png.52f30a810186e0bf28921e653329da2f.png

• Like 1

Should work fine.  I run most of my LMTs on 2s and no issues, don't see why Nimh would not work.  I do recommend Lipos in general (cheaper, more powerful, and they won't burn your house down if stored properly), but tht's another topic.  

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 3:19 PM, 87lc2 said:

I do recommend Lipos in general (cheaper, more powerful, and they won't burn your house down if stored properly), but tht's another topic.  

I second this. ^^^

There seems to be a growing "fear" of LiPo's in hobby usage (RC Cars, E-Bikes, etc...) due to the risk of fire/explosion, despite the fact that these same cells are used in computers, cell phones, smoke detectors, flashlights, etc with almost no one scared there.  There are 2 BIG factors to keep in mind when going LiPo:

1: Don't cheap out.  A HUGE amount of the horror stories you hear are from people buying no-name cheapo packs online to save a couple $$$ over a good brand name pack.  Same goes with the charger.  Get a decent one, and sleep worry free.

2. Treat them properly.  Soft packs are more fragile then hard packs.  None deal well with shorts, or being overly discharged.  Use electronics that are designed for LiPos.  Charge them in a LiPo sack.

I've been in RC for 30+ years, and have done the NiCad, NiMh, LiPo/LiFe thing, and have only ever had a NiCad & NiMh cell explode.  I have "puffed" a couple of LiPos, but that was always my own fault... once from touching wires when soldering, and twice from overly discharging packs (non-LiPo esc).  I have never known, or seen anyone who just had a decent LiPo pack just blow up or catch fire.

The only advantages I see to having NiMh instead is if you have small kids operating the charger, or are insistent on using older chargers/esc's/etc.  Otherwise, LiPo is more power, more capacity, and lighter weight.  Modern RC's like the LMT are designed for LiPos.  Can you stick a NiMh in it?  Sure... but it's not the same experience, nor will you get the performance.  Don't buy a Ferrari and try and figure out ways to run 87 octane gas in it... Sure, it might seem easier/cheaper but its probably not the best idea.

My 2-cents...

I agree with most everything you said @bRIBEGuy, but will disagree on having to buy expensive lipos...I used to run SPC/SMC packs but since I had some issues with them I decided to give the Amazon cheapies (Zeee) a try.  I have 9-10 of them and like them so much I've made them my exclusive race packs.  They pack great punch and after 2 years of racing with them at least 2-3 times per month they are all like new with no puffing or cell loss.  I take decent care of them, but not crazy about storage or anything like some people.  I do always have them stored in an ammo can just in case, and never transport them to races in the trucks.  I do see some people that leave their batteries in vehicles and that does make me cringe a bit.  

I highly recommend these guys, both the shorties and the full length:

https://www.amazon.com/Zeee-Battery-Connector-Airplane-Helicopter/dp/B08GFRT9S9/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3VU14RX1PECDL&keywords=zees+lipo+100c&qid=1672778109&sprefix=zees+lipo+100c%2Caps%2C60&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J7JB9H3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1