Vertigo35

Question on wheel spacers

I have a used hpi sprint2 chassis, and I would like to put standard tamiya rims and tyres on it.

Unfortunately, the hpi arms are designed so that tamiya rims bind on the tip of the arm. this occurs both for front arms when steering, and for rear arms, too. I have tried 0 and +2mm offset rims, same problem as binding occurs inside the rims, near the hex adpater.

Thicker hex wheel adapters, by 1-2mm only, would probably solve the issue, but as far as I understand it, if I put these on, then the wheel axis will be too short to secure the wheels with the nylstop nut.

Any advice on this ? Should I go the thicker hex adapters / slimer nylstop nuts route ? I also have the option to 3d print special rims, but I want to be sure there is no simpler solution.

Thanks 😉

If you want to try even thicker hexes (or spacers), look for serrated nuts instead of ones with nylon stoppers. The serrated ones are usually shorter and need less axle length.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Vertigo35 said:

great idea, thanks. Are these as secure as nylstop for racing ?

Depends on the nut. Some are made with subtle serrations that are not as good as nylocks, others with aggressive ones that are better. 

+1 on the serrated nuts. I had problems with nuts coming off and they solved it. Only thing is they chew up the rims if removed frequently.

I am also going to experiment with lock washer for wheel hex extenders, but they not arrived yet.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 2:02 PM, Vertigo35 said:

great idea, thanks. Are these as secure as nylstop for racing ?

For me they work well. However, they behave differently than nuts with nylon stoppers. Once the serrations do not bite anymore, they come off easily. For changing tires, this is a benefit. On the other hand they also come off easily while running if they were not tightened properly (of course not overtightened but the serrations have to bite properly into the rims). The nylon stoppers are much more forgiving.

+2 on the serrated wheel nuts.

I've been 60+mph, with lots of hard bashing and have yet for one to come off.

I will echo what's been said about making sure they have an aggressive serration on them; and they will chew up wheels with constant removal.

Another option would be to look for longer axle shafts for the HPI or longer axle shafts from other models that may work.

-RC Perspective