BigGinge

New transmitter recommendations

I run pretty much all of my cars from a single Flysky GT5 transmitter at the moment. If it’s just me out with a car that’s all well and good but as the collection expands I’ve been thinking it would be good to have a second transmitter to use so that me and the boy could take two cars out trailing/racing at the same time.

I got a bit of money for Christmas so figured I may as well put this towards a new Tx. Only issue is this means I now need to make a decision on what to buy. 

The cheap/boring option would just be to pick up another GT5. It does everything I need a Tx to do and could use it with all the Rx units I’ve already got installed in the cars. 

The other option would be to spend a bit more money and get a new mid-range system and then pick a few cars to move over to it.

I’ve never used a higher end set than my GT5 so I don’t really know what the more expensive radio would be like in use. If I did get a new radio I think I’d want something that has at least six channels for the TRX4 and it would ideally “feel” nicer in the hand that what I have now. I think based on this I’d possibly be looking at the Flysky Noble or Wfly X9 from initial research (possibly a bit of a gamble on the X9 as there aren’t loads of reviews out there) .

So, what would you kit do in this situation? Stick with the GT5 or get something nicer? If you went for the nicer option what model would you go with?

I use the Sanwa MT-44, and I know it's pricey but it's loaded with tons of options and it feels decent in the hand.  Might be more than what you're looking for but I would recommend it.

• Like 2

Does this also mean having to buy a load of new recovers too? Anything decent that's compatible with what you have?

I only use budget radio systems: FlySky GT2B (3 channels) or Dombo RC (6 channels or 5 channels and giro). I have 2 new Dombo RC systems on order with a light function build in the receiver. All receivers are cheap. 10 tot 20 € a piece. They've never failed me and outperform my 2 channel Mhz stick systems from BITD (Techniplus, Sanwa & Robbe) I'm completely happy with my basic radio gear probably because I've never handled some of the higher end stuff. :D

• Like 1

As you already pointed out you could use a GT-5 with all receivers you've already got. You should check the costs of receivers before you decide for a specific radio as they could be pricey. 

Personally I wouldn't change the TX/RX unless it's been discontinued and there are no receivers available anymore.

5 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

I use the Sanwa MT-44, and I know it's pricey but it's loaded with tons of options and it feels decent in the hand.  Might be more than what you're looking for but I would recommend it.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Sanwa have discontinued those? 

14 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Sanwa have discontinued those? 

Yep they have. The MT5 is out now and its FH5 only, same as the MTR (replaced the MTS).

The M17 is the one to get from Sanwa if you have older rx as its compatible with the older FH3 and FH4 rx still as well as the new FH5, and you can get the clone FH4 rx for decent prices. However, the M17 is expensive. I've been thinking about upgrading my MT4S so I don't lose the ability to use all my FH4 rx if the Tx dies in a few years and I can't get anything to use them

Back to the original topic, another GT5 would be the sensible thing, although I've heard good things about the NB4 - are the rx compatible?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Yep, I have a bunch of those. I've got them for as low as NZD30 before but that NZD50 seems to be the number now.

I use Sanwa rx for the race cars but those for other cars as Sanwa ones are pricey, even secondhand

Your tx is the stick version M17 isn't it? So you're set for years now. The M17 is NZD1000 new and since it hasnt been replaced they don't come up secondhand. Luckily the Sanwa agent is my dealer (rc, not drugs, but drugs would be cheaper) so I've let him know that I want an M17 if they get replaced so should be fine...should be

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Your tx is the stick version M17 isn't it?

I've the exes zz, I've tried running with my daughters wheel, but, nope.

Looked at these receivers, but was getting the SMD or Ruddog fairly cheap, now they're the price I was paying for gen sanwa ones! 

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

but drugs would be cheaper

At a shade under £500 for a radio, defo!! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Back to the original topic, another GT5 would be the sensible thing, although I've heard good things about the NB4 - are the rx compatible?

Unfortunately I’m pretty much stuck with the GT5 if I want to keep using my current receivers as it’s the nicest controller that will talk to them. The noble uses a new protocol, so isn’t compatible, but it does come with a couple of 4 channel Rx units and I could probably get away with just one extra 8 channel Rx to start. So it might not be too expensive to start moving some cars over to this system. 

Do any the Sanwa and Spektrum wheel receivers come with support for six (or more) channels? I think all the Sanwa ones I’ve seen so far (even the expensive ones) looked like they were only four channel and the Spektrum ones topped out at five channels?

The Futaba radio selection possibly has a similar restriction in that I think the only ones currently listed on their website that would meet my 6+ channel needs are the 7PXR and  10PX? If I’m right on that then these are probably more than I’d want to spend on a new Tx (and probably on the receivers too) right now.  

The KO PROPO might work but I think I might need to have a proper read of their website on my computer as it’s a bit tricky to navigate on my phone. Can’t say they they have a huge visual appeal though. 

@BigGinge  You're correct that the Spektrum surface radio is max 5 channels per DX5Pro.   I have that and the the 7PX-R.  The Futaba has 7 channels with telemetry, and it's great but only has 40 model memory where as my DX5Pro-2021 has 250.. I keep a couple cars around so the Futaba is not enough and therefore run Spektrum for all off-road a and comicals, Futaba specifically for onroad cars.  

Honestly I don't need 7 channels.. max 4 is plenty, but this is the only radio that is backward compatible with my 4PKS-R FAAST receivers I have so.. and forward thinking, also compatible with Mini-Z 7PX receivers. 

• Like 2

I'm also using a Sanwa MT-44 that controls 4 of my kits and a cheap but very reliable Radiolink RC4GS that controls 4 other kits. The MT-44 as mentioned above is packed with so much features and great looking design. Fits perfectly in my hand and has the right amount of light weight. Feels premium and I love the customized blue lights too. Can control up to 20 cars. The Radiolink can control 10 cars but has the important features of today's digital transmitters. Mine is the 4 channel version but there's also a 6 channel (RC6GS) that can be very useful especially for crawlers of rigs with multi-lights, winche, etc. I chose the Radiolink over the Flysky GT5. The later didn't feel right and build isn't so nice to be honest.

Both TX are highly recommended. By the way, the updated version of the MT-44 is the MT5. Looks are same but the MT5 has newer software.

• Like 1

@BigGinge there are clone futaba rx available too which are a lot cheaper. I'm pretty sure the 7PX will run them, not sure about the 10PX as they may have removed thr backwards compatible thing to get rid of the clones.

Wasn't there a Spektrum 6 channel with touch screen etc a few years ago? 

You're right about Sanwa, only 4 channels

Radiolink always get good reviews and they have just brought out a new 8 channel flagship model. Its expensive but still cheaper than the 10PX or M17

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

@BigGinge there are clone futaba rx available too which are a lot cheaper. I'm pretty sure the 7PX will run them, not sure about the 10PX as they may have removed thr backwards compatible thing to get rid of the clones.

Wasn't there a Spektrum 6 channel with touch screen etc a few years ago? 

You're right about Sanwa, only 4 channels

Radiolink always get good reviews and they have just brought out a new 8 channel flagship model. Its expensive but still cheaper than the 10PX or M17

Wow! If you didn't mention, I wouldn't have known about the new RC8X. Looks nice. 

7058882.jpg

7058813.gif

• Like 1

The Futabas and Spektrums feel like toys, def not a good choice if you're looking for a quality feel built radio.   Such a shame Futaba has turned into mass produced junk.

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Yeah. 10PX lost the backwards compatibility by a HUGE margin.. so this is why I got the 7PXR.. not that I need so many channels..:blink:

• Like 2

On 12/26/2022 at 4:25 PM, Tamiyastef said:

I only use budget radio systems: FlySky GT2B (3 channels) or Dombo RC (6 channels or 5 channels and giro). I have 2 new Dombo RC systems on order with a light function build in the receiver. All receivers are cheap. 10 tot 20 € a piece. They've never failed me and outperform my 2 channel Mhz stick systems from BITD (Techniplus, Sanwa & Robbe) I'm completely happy with my basic radio gear probably because I've never handled some of the higher end stuff. :D

I'm in the same boat: completely happy with my GT2B, because despite being basic it ticks all of my boxes, but certaily also because I've never tried anything high end!

I may try something better in the future, but I have to be mindful on how I spend my RC funds, so since I am satisfied for now this is it even though I don't know what I'm missing with all the extras that basic gear doesn't have.

That being said, for a basic Tx/Rx, Flysky GT2B is fantastic -and that comes from a guy that ideally prefers old school stick controllers. After a couple years of steady use my unit now controls 100% of my cars, since the receivers are also very cheap, especially if bought in bulk. It did survive a few bad drops very well, and a couple receivers were accidentally exposed to water but recovered once dry. This is also a reson why I stick to a budget radio: during playtime I am usually running after the cars/taking footage and pics/moving around without looking at where I'm going and it does pose a risk to the radio, I wouldn't want the feeling of holding something too precious and fragile as long as I do my driving this way, as I'd get mad at myself in case of breaking it.

Since all of my cars now depend on one unit, this morning I pulled the trigger on another GT2B. I will use the Rx on my Optima Mid and keep the Tx in the box as a backup (after checking that it works, that is). This was 45 canadian dollars brand new included shipping, not bad I would say.

Anyway, I totally recommend the GT2B as a budged radio, but if you're looking for something high end I have zero experience and everything to learn 😅

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ferruz said:

a couple receivers were accidentally exposed to water but recovered once dry

I have waterproofed my Flysky receivers myself. Open the housing and cover the circuit board (not the connectors) with plastidip from a jar, not the spray type. And just like I did basic waterproofing BITD, I sometimes put them in a balloon as extra insurance as well.

•  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

I have waterproofed my Flysky receivers myself. Open the housing and cover the circuit board (not the connectors) with plastidip from a jar, not the spray type. And just like I did basic waterproofing BITD, I sometimes put them in a balloon as extra insurance as well.

•  

That's a good idea! Thanks. I usually cover my receivers with a tailored cut piece of random packaging, it does the trick unless the cars ends fully immersed in water. Also an extra ziploc bag around the elecronics does wonders, indeed. Will sure try plastidip next time👍

Another way to waterproof your RX/servo is by using hot glue. Open up the casing and apply hot glue on the pcb. Very effective.