RC_FunLand

Hobbywing 1060 3S problem

Hi,

I don’t really know if I’m posting to the right section or not, but here goes.

I’m having issues with a Re-Re Sand Scorcher I picked up today, mainly with its ESC (H-Wing 1060). When I plug in a 2S, (with no XT60 to Deans adapter), I have no issues whatsoever. But when I go to plug in any of my 3S LiPOs (which do have an XT60 to Deans adapter) I run into the 1060 “blinking light of death”. I’d be fine with running 2S on Scorchy, but the only small-scale battery I have is a 3S with an XT60 plug.

Anyone know what the issue may be?

Thanks so much!

57 minutes ago, RC_FunLand said:

I run into the 1060 “blinking light of death”

Never actually heard of that!! 

Is the 3s fully charged, or at least more than the 3v per cell (9v)?

You should get 4 beeps on 3s (3 short ,one long from the motor), when the esc is powered up (3 beeps for 2s).

I'd be checking the adapter tbh, (I actually cut off the XT60 and solder on deans).

The 3S is fully charged (balanced at 4.20V each).

Probably the adapter. I’ll see if that helps.

I feel like 1060s are extremely low quality ESCs. Should I replace it with a TBLE-02 I have lying around?

• Haha 3

Just now, RC_FunLand said:

I feel like 1060s are extremely low quality ESCs. Should I replace it with a TBLE-02 I have lying around?

No

The 1060 is a much better esc, has low volt cut off (blinking red light) and can run down to a 10t motor

• Like 1

If you do want to swap the plug, remember to only cut one wire at a time.

I cut one, and soldered it to the deans, then cut the other. Reduces the risk of shorting out the lipo, which usually doesn't end well...😬🔥

Oh, alright. So next step is resolder the XT60 connectors to Deans? (Being careful not to short the battery in the process)

Just now, RC_FunLand said:

Oh, alright. So next step is resolder the XT60 connectors to Deans? (Being careful not to short the battery in the process)

If you've deans on the esc, I'd solder a deans onto the 3s, removing the xt60 from the equation.

I've run a 15t firebolt on 3s ,with one of those escs, they can take some abuse.

These are what I use , they've a plastic cover, which hides any, unsightly...🙄, soldering 😏😉

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/t-style-connector-male-female-with-insulating-caps-10-pairs.html?___store=en_us

1 hour ago, RC_FunLand said:

When I order kits, I will choose to remove TBLEs if possible, for a saving and use the discount from removing it to buy a 1060 or its Carson version. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Dumb question. but you have checked that the jumper switch is set to LiPo and not Nimh ?

Jumper is indeed on LiPo. Works with 2S.

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

If you've deans on the esc, I'd solder a deans onto the 3s, removing the xt60 from the equation.

I've run a 15t firebolt on 3s ,with one of those escs, they can take some abuse.

These are what I use , they've a plastic cover, which hides any, unsightly...🙄, soldering 😏😉

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/t-style-connector-male-female-with-insulating-caps-10-pairs.html?___store=en_us

Resoldered result:

image.thumb.jpg.cfef2d66a5b1a6eaf6776a6bcbbdacf2.jpg

• Like 1

The jumper just sets the LV cutoff and should have no effect on anything else.

• Like 2

Just resoldered the connector. Still no go.

I'm fairly sure the blinking light ,means it's hit low volt cut off, I was thinking a broken wire/bad solder joint in the adapter was dropping the volt to the esc, it would need to drop it to below 9v (or 9.75v? As the esc drops to half power at 3.25v oer cell).

Guessing you're getting the 4.2v per cell from the charger screen? If you've got an ammeter, see if it is 12.6v? 

Are you getting the motor beeps when you switch it on?

29 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Are you getting the motor beeps when you switch it on?

That’s the thing! No motor beeps on 3S, just a flashing red light. On the contrary, 2S beeps a couple of times and immediately becomes drivable.

So darn confused. Thanks for the help so far you guys!

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Guessing you're getting the 4.2v per cell from the charger screen.

All of the above. Charger says “4.20 4.20 4.20” and on the main screen “12.60“ (no duh).

That’s the thing! No motor beeps on 3S, just a flashing red light. On the contrary, 2S beeps a couple of times and immediately becomes drivable.

So darn confused. Thanks for the help so far you guys!

Urm.............

If it works on 2s, the motor is OK, it's plugged into the RX right , and compatible etc....

It's defo a hobbywing 1060, and not an ebay knock off? 🤷‍♂️

1060s do go wrong sometimes, unfortunately. I had one that lost its BEC due to a water sorted out Rx. But I don't think they go wrong often. Perhaps get another one and try again, before writing them off?

It's defo a hobbywing 1060, and not an ebay knock off? 🤷‍♂️

How would I differentiate between a cheap knockoff or a genuine model?

It's defo a hobbywing 1060, and not an ebay knock off?

all my genuine HW branded 1060s that arrived in red white hobbywing box have a red heatsink; silicone cap over switch

HW sells OE 1060s to other resellers eg Tamiya/Kyosho/private label which have black heatsink, no Hobbywing sticker. (Have also noticed missing silicone switch cap on OEs, so am a bit hesitant as to their waterproofness)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

HW sells OE 1060s to other resellers eg Tamiya/Kyosho/private label which have black heatsink, no Hobbywing sticker. (Have also noticed missing silicone switch cap on OEs, so am a bit hesitant as to their waterproofness)

Hmm. I have one for sure that’s genuine (came in my CC-02 build box) which meets the criteria above. I’m comparing the two as I’m typing this, and the only notable difference is the silicone cap over the on/off switch, which is present on the Sand Scorcher one.

Here’s a direct side-by-side comparison:

image.thumb.jpg.bcc59edda8ab40e855e900cbf91079ca.jpg

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, RC_FunLand said:

Here’s a direct side-by-side comparison:

How's your other on 3s?

11 hours ago, WillyChang said:

all my genuine HW branded 1060s that arrived in red white hobbywing box have a red heatsink; silicone cap over switch

QxflhaL.jpg

Here is a Schumacher branded 1060 in a HW box and red heatsink.