RC_FunLand

Hobbywing 1060 3S problem

8 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

How's your other on 3s?

Good thinking! I’ll try connecting the one that I know for a fact is genuine to see what the heck is up.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 1:03 PM, Wooders28 said:

If you do want to swap the plug, remember to only cut one wire at a time.

I cut one, and soldered it to the deans, then cut the other. Reduces the risk of shorting out the lipo, which usually doesn't end well...😬🔥

Sadly I can attest to this.   :(    Didn't cut both wires at once but somehow managed to have the both wire brush against the same spade on the new connector.   Guess I should have shrink wrapped it before I cut the second wire......   

Fortunately I did ruin the battery.  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, RC_FunLand said:

Well, turns out I’m an idiot!

F1039EB9-0434-4386-83B9-F26DF8737875.thumb.jpeg.8268259171b2315f0ad5a1f2c3421e9d.jpeg

Haha I was going to say it might have been limited to 2s at the request of the reseller. 3s can quickly kill a 27t or faster brushed motor depending on the usage scenario and gearing etc. 

That's not to say it will always happen, but there's a big enough chance that some companies won't risk letting customers do it. A brushed MT, for example, could easily cremate itself on 3s if you run on grass or on sand etc a lot, especially with a large capacity lipo and on a hot day etc. Either the windings will charr or the magnets lose all their strength.

• Thanks 1

today I learned that not all 1060s are created equally !
    glad this one got figured out for you :-)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RC_FunLand said:

Well, turns out I’m an idiot!

Thank you!

I've been scratching my head!! 🙄🤣

40 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

3s can quickly kill a 27t or faster brushed motor depending on the usage scenario and gearing etc. 

This was in a boomerang I was using as a 'Have A Go' car ,at one of the clubs events.

Fit a 3s for the ,wow factor, then swap to 2s ,and turn the end point down for the have a go.

It lasted all day, so maybe a dozen 3s packs through, plus a dozen 2s ,but by the end of the day, on wet concrete, with no one in the queue, I ran all my 3s packs down to storage voltage with it, until the silver can let out magic smoke 😔

2021-01-24_09-59-54

It actually melted the plastic in the end bell, and just jammed, but too late by then.

Found a bit of footage from the day....😏

https://www.facebook.com/GlasgowRC/videos/1692461744395471/ 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

This was in a boomerang I was using as a 'Have A Go' car ,at one of the clubs events.

Fit a 3s for the ,wow factor, then swap to 2s ,and turn the end point down for the have a go.

It lasted all day, so maybe a dozen 3s packs through, plus a dozen 2s ,but by the end of the day, on wet concrete, with no one in the queue, I ran all my 3s packs down to storage voltage with it, until the silver can let out magic smoke 😔

2021-01-24_09-59-54

It actually melted the plastic in the end bell, and just jammed, but too late by then.

Wow- I’ve never seen a SILVER CAN that charred/melted. Kudos to you I guess. Mission accomplished? 🤣

also, is the ESC used in the Scorcher an actual 1060? If so, why does it say SC550 on the label?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RC_FunLand said:

is the ESC used in the Scorcher an actual 1060?

I think they've been rebadged as a few different brands. I think Carson (rated with a high amp, but lower motor turn limit?) , SMD Surpass , HPI and Reedy by the looks of it!! 

Having a look at the specs, and being 2s only, urm no, it's not a 1060..

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/reedy/parts/details/29193-ASC29193-reedy_sc550_brushed_rtr_esc/

Have you only 2 run options?

On a 1060, if you remove the jumper, it's for / rev with neutral a drag brake.

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Having a look at the specs, and being 2s only, urm no, it's not a 1060..

could be closer relative to baby brother 1040, although there’s so many clones of those it’s hard to keep track anymore 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RC_FunLand said:

F1039EB9-0434-4386-83B9-F26DF8737875.thumb.jpeg.8268259171b2315f0ad5a1f2c3421e9d.jpeg

That is most definitely not a 1060, rebadged or not as it only has a 5V@2A BEC. 1060 will be 6V@3A, a rebadged Carson one is the same. Most likely a Surpass one (or a copy of that).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Have you only 2 run options?

Yes, only two. I also noticed (on my genuine 1060) that it has three run options.

thank you all so much for the clarifications. Lesson learned: use your eyes next time. 💀🤣

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RC_FunLand said:

Lesson learned:

Lesson for a few of us i think! 👍