lukej

Speed Build - lukej’s Car Park Bashing M-05

Evening all, hope you have had a great Christmas and are suitably recovered from seasonal gluttony before the NYE festivities hit. As the title suggests, I’ve decided to try something new for once, and actually finish the build of one of my cars!

If you hadn’t guessed, my aim is to build my new Tamiya M-05 speedily, with the original target of completing it in an afternoon. Obviously that hasn’t happened…

Anyway, to the build!

Luke

• Like 3

I’ll begin at the beginning, because it seems like the most sensible place to start, with a photo of my dining table and some fresh boxes.

ydZ2dpr.jpg

Of course I have to be grateful to those who gifted me money for RC cars this Christmas, without them I’d have spent even more of my own earnings on this addiction!

Luke

• Like 2

I expect that you already have questions about the items on that table, questions like “Why is there a hard case LiPo on the table?” and “ Did you not know that the M-05 takes a stick pack?”, to which I shall answer “Because I’m an idiot” and “No, I did not”.

Anyway, in the land of Blue Crack & incredible forethought I actually had a spare stick pack & cheap servo which will now take residence in this M-05 that I intend to be a car park basher, and as such I can move ahead with the build unhindered by my previous error.

D4HSCHa.jpg
Et voila!

In another moment of clouded judgement, I'd also picked up the Hobbywing EZRUN brushless system as seen earlier, thinking that I could test it in the M-05 prior to its installation in another M chassis that's soon to be delivered (I couldn't help myself). This would have been a great idea, it turns out, had I checked the box and noted that it comes with XT-60 connectors and not Deans connectors as I normally use. F!

ytZm3S8.jpg
Moving on.

Luke

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, lukej said:

I expect that you already have questions about the items on that table, questions like “Why is there a hard case LiPo on the table?” and “ Did you not know that the M-05 takes a stick pack?”, to which I shall answer “Because I’m an idiot” and “No, I did not”.

Anyway, in the land of Blue Crack & incredible forethought I actually had a spare stick pack & cheap servo which will now take residence in this M-05 that I intend to be a car park basher, and as such I can move ahead with the build unhindered by my previous error.

[Insert Picture]

Et voila!

there is a optional v2 m05 chassis that takes modern lipos

Tamiya 54605 M-05 Ver.II A Parts (Chassis), (M05V.2/M05Ver.2/*M-05/*M05Ra), NIP | eBay

• Like 3

Semi-frustrating as the early part of this build had been, it would all be plain sailing shortly I assured myself, and set about with the definitely simple task of mounting the tyres to the wheels.

ArLevlA.jpg
Exhibit A

fevdBTy.jpg?1
Exhibit B. Definitely not losing patience here.

Long story short, the tyre glue I bought from the LHS was too thin and dried almost on contact, leaving the tyre seated improperly and destroying the rim. Debonder didn't work, removing the tyre didn't work, guess I'm buying new wheels, tyres and foams then. Oh and the glue is now in the bin...

Luke

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

there is a optional v2 m05 chassis that takes modern lipos

Tamiya 54605 M-05 Ver.II A Parts (Chassis), (M05V.2/M05Ver.2/*M-05/*M05Ra), NIP | eBay

Thanks, I will try and not invest in this, definitely fail at not investing in it, and update this tread months from now with why I failed to finish another build :lol:

Luke

• Haha 1

With little doubt in my mind that I am now the problem with this build, I decided to just follow the instructions instead and begin at the beginning, because it is definitely the most sensible place to start. Here's a quick rundown of my pre-dinner achievements:

HOm08Uw.jpg
Bearings at the ready. This might be a car park basher but I'm going to allow myself the basic improvements.

J2rFeVZ.jpg
Main chassis together, front end being assembled.

DUgOqn0.jpg?1
Front end complete except for the turnbuckles because I jumped ahead (I really hate turnbuckles) and installed the stock silver can to preserve some sanity.

Luke

• Like 3

Refuelled on katsu curry (the Japanese link was entirely unintentional), and with renewed enthusiasm for completing this today, I set about assembling the first two turnbuckles of this M-05 build.

x7xycIc.jpg
I'll take an accuracy of +0.09mm on most days, but with the challenges I'd met already on this build, I was even happier to leave it at that. Better still, I then discovered that the callipers were reading +0.1mm and that actually I was accurate to -0.01mm on each of these. Ecstatic!

Front end finished, it was time to turn my attention to the rear of the car and follow the "L" instructions required for the GR Yaris body.

NguxQ03.jpg
In progress.

fXNA817.jpg
And done.

One thing that did stick out to me in this build, is that the order of certain things in the manual makes little sense, like the attachment of the rear hubs to the chassis prior to bearing installation and the installation of the outer bearings in the front hubs after that even. Anyway, by the time I'd twigged that this was the case, the car was assembled and I was now trying to press bearings home with less access than I'd like. No bother, challenges are meant to be overcome and in the moment I had two choices:

1. Disassemble the hub assemblies and fit the bearings as I would any other car.

or

2. Utilise the cheap plastic bushings & a hex nut included in the kit to make a bearing press/stake set-up.

p2I5YSX.jpg?1
I chose option 2, which I've recreated here for explanation, because my engineering degree needs to have some use right?

To be clear, this only works on the fronts, where you can lock out the drive cup with a slotted screwdriver, but essentially the nut & bushes force the bearings into the hub with a nice even pressure and press them home. It's simple really, and the even pressure is almost certainly less of an issue on bearings this size than on the 1:1 race cars I'm used to, but its basic engineering principles and one of the reasons I advocate for race drives to build RC cars and learn about the way they work - it all scales!

Luke

• Like 3

With the electronics installation up next, I decided to rummage around in the electrical spares box and see what came up, and in this case it was a Futaba R203GF receiver that came bundled with my 3PX transmitter last year. With all my other cars run an R304 SBS-E or higher, this one has been sat unused and still had the protective film on.

WITBeXf.jpg
In this top down view, you can see that I've temporarily located the servo, and I'm about to plan my wiring routes for both the receiver and the Carson ESC that came bundled with the M-05. I like tidy wiring and have to make sure everything is where I want it to be before I stick it down. Hint - it wasn't.

Ct5DaDf.jpg
Receiver placed, the path the wires will take is now pretty fixed. In the background, you'll see that the battery and motor wires were originally coming over the top of the ESC & heatsink to reach the front of the car. I didn't like that.

n7xt8yZ.jpg?1
Progress.

As you can see here, the servo has been removed so that I can see if there's any routes I can send the wires to hide them, the ESC has been rotated 180 degrees and the On/Off switch is due to be repositioned. Satisfied with the new placement, I stuck both the ESC and the receiver down, and set about correcting the motor orientation which in earlier pictures shows the green wire near the top. As it was, the green and yellow wires crossed each other and this created a less clean look, so I clocked the motor 180 degrees and that's tidied things up.

Luke

• Like 1

Last one of the night here, but it just shows a few details that I wanted to bring over from my normal builds.

X8eEUK1.jpg
The first is blue wheel hexes, not because they're blue but because they make wheel changes less fiddly, which is always a win and I had these spare.

eIJ7DcO.jpg
The second is the the combination of TA-05 body supports on the front body posts, and a more racy rear body post orientation. What I like about the M-05 is the square locator peg for the posts which means you can rotate the post back 90 degrees from the instructions and have horizontal rear posts. I'll work this out more tomorrow but it looks like it should work.

I also planned on using a blue Tamiya servo saver that I had spare, but it doesn't fit inside the chassis so I'm stuck with the dull beige plastic one included in the kit. Another thing for me to look into tomorrow!

Anyway, it's not quite done today, but the new wheels and tyres should arrive later this week so I can hopefully send it around the car park outside my flat on Friday or Saturday.

Cheers!

Luke

• Like 2

Evening all!

After last night’s unsuccessful attempt to route the ESC and servo wires through the main chassis, something I chalked up to a combination of tiredness and frustration, I woke up this morning thinking that today might be more fruitful and to an extent that has proven to be the case.

Having removed the mounting plate for the ESC and receiver, something that I love the M-05 for as it makes servicing easier, I had access to the openings in the chassis either side of the servo housing and could now easily pass the wiring through to the receiver side.

pYNPMg8.jpg
The proposed solution.

As you can see in the picture below however, with a full size servo in place, the remaining space is limited and a tidy wiring path is hard to come by. Yes, I could have made it work by fiddling around endlessly, but this would not do well for my stress levels, something this hobby is supposed to reduce.

QpMplnP.jpg?1
The problem.

It's a happy accident then that I also have a TT-02 for bashing, and that this had a cheap low-profile servo on it!

wMetDjD.jpg
The solution!

We can almost consider each of these as the donor car for the other, with the servo swap being rather easy, and the TT-02 high torque servo saver that went unused last night finding a home on the appropriate car. I must confess that was the original idea but so not exactly a happy accident but instead just forward planning in action.

snQDBdm.jpg
Servo installed.

As you can see, the wiring now exits the chassis in a much neater way, so I’ll curl the cables, reinstall the receiver mount and that should be that!

l5CLvzC.jpg
Much better!

When I drafted this update, I didn't have replacement wheels for the car, and as such progress was halted. On my way home from a medical appointment today I did get a chance to visit the LHS however, so whilst I still don't have THE wheels & tyres, I have some that will eventually make their way onto a future M chassis for racing. With the above in mind, I'll prep the body for paint, resolve the the mysterious absence of my soldering iron, and then set about completing the build!

In a bit!

Luke

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 3:34 PM, lukej said:

Speed build as in build quickly, not built for speed 😉 Thanks though

Luke

Lol. My mistake. :lol:
Well hope you're enjoying the build even if you are speeding through it. 

On 12/29/2022 at 8:56 PM, GMballistic said:

Lol. My mistake. :lol:
Well hope you're enjoying the build even if you are speeding through it. 

No worries, the build has progressed a bit but I was somewhat distracted by the arrival of the other M Chassis I mentioned…

JAe3Gkb.jpg
Did someone say shopping spree? 😂

Luke

• Like 3

So a brief update post spree, the photo above shows some of this anyway, in that the shell has been trimmed & body holes cut. I tried the horizontal rear posts, but in both configurations I failed and the holes weren't aligned well, this it transpires is because I took a level from the wrong component and despite measuring many times I still cocked it up. Vertical posts it is then!

a8qfEgv.jpg
Mounted and shot from the all important 3/4 angle :D

A few parts arrived today for me to sort the wheel situation out, but despite my best efforts to match the kit tyres I came up short. TTP have come to the rescue on this one and will ship me another pair shortly so that they're all the same rolling radius.

YDM6tYg.jpg
RM delivered this assortment in 24 hours, so not bad.

The shell has now been washed, and weather permitting it'll be painted tomorrow to finish this initial build off. There are a few niggles however that I'll need to resolve with some blue hop-ups, you didn't think I'd leave this stock did you?

yXBmdAH.jpg?1
Obviously the use of blue aluminium screws and ball joints is pure necessity ^_^

The new adjustable servo saver was bought to resolve a tracking problem, and it has absolutely not done that, so I'll get the turnbuckle steering rod (54195) ordered and hopefully I can remedy the problem that way. Obviously it's box stock bar some colourful hex heads just now, so there's a certain amount of play in things, but I'll shim what I can and play with it in the car park. I must remember - THIS WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A RACE CAR.

Luke

• Like 3