RC_FunLand

CC02 Build Question

1 minute ago, Busdriver said:

I’ve gone with wheel weights in mine and it definitely improved traction and stops it rocking back on steep hills

Is there a specific Tamiya PN for these?

I got some bigger wheels and tyres , the tyres a loads better and also look better 

Other than that I got bearings (of course) and the metal ball ends 

Everything else has been fine 

2 hours ago, RC_FunLand said:

Mine doesn’t stay without spacers… if I don’t put spacers on, the shock spring just wobbles around as it’s not as long as the shock shaft at full extension.

I added weights to my chassis so mine actually compresses the springs slightly at rest.

1 hour ago, RC_FunLand said:

Is there a specific Tamiya PN for these?

I used 1:1 tyre weights. You can get them from E bay Amazon etc. they stick on . I put a ring of them around the wheel then a ring of tape around that then out the tyres on.

Using metal wheels help. I have these in my CC-01 and CFX. Never used the plastic ones. Also using an ESC with drag brake is very useful for crawling/trailing. The HW 1080 is perfect for brush motors.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RC_FunLand said:

My kit comes stock with Rock Blocks, so technically yes! :lol:

The kit ones are stiffer than the soft hop-up versions.  Tamiya like to include tyres that never wear out with their kits.  I got the CC02 Unimog which comes with rounded lumps of cast iron instead of tyres.

I've seen people saying good things about these tyres but you'd want a set of beadlock wheels as well.

https://www.rcmart.com/pro-line-bfgoodrich-krawler-t-a-kx-class-0-1-9inch-g8-compound-rock-crawler-tires-2-pcs-w-foam-for-1-10-rc-crawler-10171-14-00102059

• Like 2

I'm using lead wire (plumb)purchased in the fishing shop, wound on the rim and secured by alu tape. Here a single rim from CR01 kit moved from originale weight of 33 grams to 166.

CR01-00095.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/1/2023 at 4:46 AM, Blista said:

I've seen people saying good things about these tyres but you'd want a set of beadlock wheels as well.

https://www.rcmart.com/pro-line-bfgoodrich-krawler-t-a-kx-class-0-1-9inch-g8-compound-rock-crawler-tires-2-pcs-w-foam-for-1-10-rc-crawler-10171-14-00102059

These look like Rock Blocks… what’s the difference? Also, which beadlocks should I purchase?

22 hours ago, mastino said:

I'm using lead wire (plumb)purchased in the fishing shop, wound on the rim and secured by alu tape. Here a single rim from CR01 kit moved from originale weight of 33 grams to 166.

Great idea, I actually have an abundance of said fishing wire, mainly because my grandparents are quite avid fishermen. Thank you!! :)

22 minutes ago, RC_FunLand said:

These look like Rock Blocks… what’s the difference? Also, which beadlocks should I purchase?

It’s not the look that makes the most difference it’s the rubber compound. Proline ( other companies are available) do several different compounds to suit different conditions. Tamiya do Rock blocks and Mud blocks that look identical but are different compounds. For proper a  rock crawler soft is best. Should also say OD of the tyre makes a difference. Greater the OD the more ground clearance. There is a point where it is better to go up a wheel size as well, from say 1.9 to 2.2 inches . It’s all a bit of trial and error and a lot of trawling through peoples builds in this and other sites!!!

Edited by Busdriver
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RC_FunLand said:

They look similar but the Pro-line tyres are super soft and grippy in comparison and have a foam inner so they'll keep their shape but can still compress over obstacles.

Basically, wheels are measured in inches with 2.2, 1.9, or 1.55 being widely available.  There's others but they're less common.  2.2 would be too big for your needs.  1.9 is what Tamiya wheels are (although not an exact match).  1.55 can still work if the overall diameter of the tyres is the same as with larger 1.9 wheels.  Then you get into offset, weight, cost, materials, etc.  I'd probably recommend you to stick with what you've got for now then upgrade later on after doing some research.  It's a really deep rabbit hole and can get very expensive very quickly.

I stuck with the soft Rock Blocks and plastic kit wheels because I didn't want to spend too much on my CC02.  You could easily spend the cost of the CC02 kit just on replacement wheels and tyres.  At a certain point, you're spending money that should go towards a far better crawler chassis rather than the CC02.

As you can see, the soft Rock Blocks look identical to the kit ones but are just a somewhat softer rubber compound.  They might not be massively better but they're definitely the cheap option.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/54598/index.htm

• Like 1

Got some wider offset tamiya wheels and ebay special tyres ….work well and look a bit more off road and less waitrose car park

8FB03564-F8A5-4973-B8B9-DEE320C02718.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/1/2023 at 1:12 PM, mastino said:

CR01-00095.jpg

Just upgraded the wheels (swapped tire sets).

Disassembled, washed, wrung out foam inserts, then painted a matte black color. :)

Added about 3-4 lbs to the car? :lol:

Tamiya CC-02 Tamiya CC-02 Tamiya CC-02

This my first set of tires for the CR01. Different weights between front (290 grams) and rear (215 gr).

CR01-00097.jpg