My son uses one and they are also popular radios at local clubs. They do everything you need and we haven't had any issue with the range (although max we've used is probably 50m - 70m). 

Given cheap rtr radios often work to around 400m I would assume the Futaba is similar?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, M 800STD said:

Futaba 3PV range in optimal conditions is 80m.

Where did you get that stat? I've used 3PVs in massive open spaces, far enough that you can't realistically see the model any more.

I've one. If I was buying again I'd spend the extra for a DX5, changing settings on the 3PV is a bit of a chore.

On 12/28/2022 at 2:40 PM, cosworthwesty said:

Hi all any using the Futaba 3PV 3 Channel 2.4GHz? If so what’s it perform like range wise?

thanks

I picked one up for my daughter a while ago, as it has a nice small size compared to a lot of other Tx's.  Performance wise it works well, and range is good enough for any big open field we have found so far.

On 12/30/2022 at 5:19 PM, M 800STD said:

Futaba 3PV range in optimal conditions is 80m.

It's WAY over 80m, that I can say for sure.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:12 PM, Sogogi said:

I do have it and works well. As @Simon998mentioned, changing setting is not so intuitive. I wonder if 4pm is better. 

Now as @Simon998 and @Sogogi both noted, the 3PV is a big old pain in the bottom to deal with as far as buttons and menus.  For some reason it's a completely different button/menu setup than on the 4PM or other radios.  I run an older 4PK for my stuff, and switching to my wife's 4PM is no issue.  Trying to setup anything on the 3PV usually leads to me pulling out the manual to figure out what button does what.  

My personal experience, is that the 3PV performs well, and is notably smaller than the 4PM.  If the size (or few $$ saved) is important, than it's a great Tx if you're not already familiar with the Futaba button/menu system.  BUT... for the extra few $$$, the 4PM is a MUCH nicer radio, and much easier to use.

• Like 1

Also if you plan to add save more than 10 models, 4pm would be nice. (I actually plan to get 4pm in the near future due to 10 model memory limit)

Can't say I have any difficulties setting up the 3PV. For an electric car you'll only be touching the servo reverse and some of the steering settings, shouldn't need to go into the menus again after that. Model selection is on the first screen.