Sign in to follow this  
vintagebackyardrc

Academy Roadrunner II

This is interesting.

My younger brother got one of these for Xmas the same year I got my Falcon. He threw it out years ago when he was cleaning out things stored at my parents house.

I decided to get a NIB for the shelf, plus a used one as a runner.

Seeing my brother was only 6 at the time & I was 11 I built it for him. Box layout was the same as the video with blisters etc.

But my brothers car had chrome Hornet style wheels & tyres, friction rear dampers & a 380 size motor - more like a Grasshopper.

After watching this video I thought I should have a look at the 2 I have do a quick bit of research.

Looks like there is 3 different versions. Road Runner, Road Runner I & Road Runner II.

My brother must've had this version:

Academy-Road-Runner-Chassis4.jpg.18ce5a745379addfbea0a0ea9b5f0c1d.jpg

The wheels & tyres are easy to spot, but I can just make out the rear black friction damper body & shorter spring, & the 380 motor mentioned on the box. No front sway bar either.

Road Runner I has 380 motor, but has the different wheels. I can't make out the rear dampers that well, but look like black friction, also no sway bar:

RRI_2.thumb.jpg.44e14cf34eca357852c926cf36cbaf3e.jpg

This is my NIB Road Runner II. Pre-built version. Has 540 motor, oil dampers & sway bar:

NIB_1.thumb.jpg.06e595f297d9b7c0765d9901790396bf.jpg

And the used one:

Runner_1.thumb.jpg.04c093f03b213092b0404ebd3c896836.jpg

I did notice some differences between the box stickers & the actual stickers:

Stickers_1.thumb.jpg.3306fd34936045e29ad77f378ecdf348.jpg

Prior to watching the comparison video, I always suspected there was some Tamiya influence there & this was come kind of Grasshopper/Hornet styled 'original'.

But after watching it, this is a direct copy. :blink:

• Like 1