lsear2905

What's your proudest 2022 RC achievement, and what's your 2023 RC goal?

I thought this might be a fun idea, but let's try and keep it to 1 "achievement," 1 "honourable mention," and 1 "goal" for 2023... (think of it as an RC version of "Marry, Kiss, Kill" ;))

Achievement:

Finding a 1/5 petrol (2 stroke) Baja on the side of the road and restoring it to working order myself (with a little help from a couple of mechanics I know), having never owned a petrol RC before. This achievement is a little tarnished, however, as after a few successful runs the whole thing is currently seized and I haven't had time to pull it apart and find out what's wrong.

7ef83095-2dc5-4088-90aa-8839166fa85b.thumb.jpg.40f2b1e971234cb1461af4bdb103e6c2.jpg

Honourable Mention:

Continuing to take my RCs to new, faraway locations (and an old favourite) - from waterfalls along the Great Ocean Rd, to Sydney Harbour, and a few scenic spots in between. RC in a new location is always a treat.

43037dc3-8172-484f-bc96-9f19aac25b72.thumb.jpg.9ce45b9924cb7a1da9462889dfb8c26a.jpg

My goal for 2023:

Convince at least one family member to enjoy at least one aspect of RC - boating, crawling, whatever - so that I can enjoy this wonderful hobby with them.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

My 2022 'achievement' is finally returning to the hobby after several decades. 

My last car was the Tamiya Porsche 959. Now I have returned with and Audi Quattro TT-02 and I'm enjoying the process so much. 

Its been a while.

My goal for 2023 is to fully enjoy the car and hobby, and not get anxious over it. Pretty simple. 

• Like 10

Achievement: getting back to RC. 
goal: just enjoy the heck out of my RC cars! And maybe tap into other brands too.. (sounds dangerous lol)

• Like 9

Getting back is up there but as for actually doing anything in the hobby: Definitely building the Midnight Beetle, im real happy with how i managed to convert a cw-01 (and grasshopper and all the others that use the same) gearbox/solid rear axle by cutting off the axles housings, designing+printing a slot in piece to hold one of the bearings and getting it to work with outdrives, lika more modern gearbox but with the solid cw-01 internals.

No idea for what next year will hold so lets start small, finishing up the two bodies ive got for my tt02 and learning to drift it.

• Like 11

This is a nice idea!

Achievement: I've bought a 3D printer (late in the year) and made my first self-designed RC parts, including a new electronic plate for the TD4 and a micro crawler frame. I have started to learn how to do CAD drawings, but that's a long way.

Honorable Mention: In the beginning of 2022 I've got several cars from the aunt and uncle of my wife. Those cars had belong to their son who has died several years ago. One of the cars was a blue painted Isuzu Mu in a broken and incomplete state. I've decided to rebuild it with parts from my stash and a lot of new parts. I converted it from a fast and low street car to a mild trail runner. It's still the blue Isuzu Mu but a slow one (it doesn't lost his character). My aim from the beginning was to give it back to my wife's aunt and uncle so they could give it to their grandsons. I like the idea that they make their first steps in hobby-grade RC with a car of their uncle they never knew.

My goal for 2023: To improve my CAD skills to get the parts out of my 3D printer I imagine.

• Like 12

Great thread :)

Proudest Achievement - hard to pick from several highlights this year, but probably my F150 tow truck.  The idea to build a working tow truck that could actually marshal touring cars on a live track came way back around 2014 or 2015, and although the idea always worked well in my head, my head is full of ideas that work well until they become real, and then suddenly they're riddled with fatal flaws that will ultimately stop them from ever working.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99904-f150-6x6-tow-truck/

Honourable Mention - again, it's hard to pick, as I've achieved some things outside of RC but as a result of being involved with RC, but for an RC-specific answer, I'll throw a dart.  Getting in the A-final at a round of the Iconic Cup, in the M-chassis class.  I'm the first to admit I'm neither talented on the track, nor any good at setup, but at the Mendip round this year, all the stars aligned.  I arrived on Saturday, so I could do a whole day's practice and setup.  I had a new set of tyres that were just right for the car and the track.  I borrowed some parts from a top-flight M-chassis racer that really improved the car.  I had the setup advice of several skilled M-chassis racers to help me get the best out of what I had.  I didn't have any breakages all weekend.  Two of the best racers in class didn't make it to the Mendip round, opening up two spaces at the top, plus another of the best (usually the championship winner) had switched to another class.  So everybody else got to much up three spaces.

But none of these elements of good fortune can negate the fact that I got up early, worked hard and did my best, and was rewarded with good results.

My Goal for 2023 - I haven't really decided yet.  Every year I say: less racing, more doing things that I want to do.  But every year I booked into race meets anyway.  I enjoy it more than I realise.  But I think my goal needs to be to focus more on improving what I have, finishing what I've started, or maybe even letting some of it go, if I'm not going to touch it again.  I don't make any money out of the countless hours I pour into the RC hobby, so the main thing for me is that I enjoy it.  Otherwise it's just money and time wasted.

• Like 13

Achievement: I haven't overspent on RC! The only new car I bought was my TD4 (going to have to fact check that statement!). That is quite an achievement for me after a good few years of splurging on cars, ending up with far more than I can realistically deal with. I haven't even built the TD4 - I want to get a few projects finished first.

Honourable Mention: 2022 has been Year Of The Monster Truck in this household. We saw the Monster Jam in London, we've monsterized a CR-01 chassis, torn down a Dual Hunter to make a Monster Mutt Dalmation homage and I have progressed with my Mini Monster. Our Dual Hunter deserves the Honourable Mention - year on year it comes out and runs so well, providing miles of smiles for Small 'Crumble.

DSC_3150.md.jpg

My goal for 2023: Finish! Finish! Finish! I have lots of cars in bits, not enough runners and some new kits I would love to build. I would really like a couple of running trail trucks for me and the kid so I need to get my JK finally sorted. Only then will I allow myself to start on the SCX10iii I bought a couple of years ago. I do, however, need to finish off the monsters listed above.

• Like 11

Achievement

My custom builds. Having only returned to the hobby a little over a year ago in Sept 2021, I quite quickly found myself exercising some creative desires through RC and thoroughly enjoyed the process, if a little exhausting at times...

fGJJJmB.jpeg

TwUFnde.jpeg

1o6Udcl.jpeg

Honourable mention

In an honest and non cheesy/sucky way, to the welcoming community in general and the friends I've made here at TC I say thank you👍👏 In any hobby I've had over the past 20 years finding the right forum to share stories, experience and knowledge has always been key to furthering the enjoyment of the hobby. And this wasn't the first RC forum I came across, but it quickly became the one I settled in with. The community here is amazing, unique, kind, happy to share and not to shame. Well done all for helping create such a great forum! With special mention to the below chaps -

@Sgt.Speirs @Grumpy pants @Frog Jumper @GeeWings @Muso31 @Jonathon Gillham @BuggyDad @Goudar @Willy iine @J@mes @Frankster @matisse

Goal for 2023

To finish up on the mass of restorations I've accumulated and move them on, so I can free up some space and time to work on my own collection of cars, kits and planned creative builds🙂

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

NIB Achievement :

Academy Road Runner II

Restored achievement :

Grasshopper II Super G (have to put the re-stickers on, the originals one missing)

And proudly restored, my Kyosho Rocky (so many time to find pieces and more..).

IMG_20221230_150352.thumb.jpg.66ed85992438898d931db0ce39c717be.jpg

Goal for 2023 :

May be a Re-Monster Beetle, never had a monster so why not.

• Like 11

Achievement: Best achievement for 2022 was returning to competitive racing after a 20ish year absence, my main class in off-road 1/10th buggies, but have recently started doing a bit of on-road now with a TT02 as well.

Honourable Mention: Quite proud of also running a few Tamiya's on race days. I've got a soulless Associated B6.4 as my main buggy that's a decent enough car to drive, and more importantly a great reference point. But I've also raced a TD4, TRF201, TRF211 and will be running a TD2 Astute at the next meeting that I'm puttting quite a bit of effort into building a setting up.

Goals for 2023: Making my main race  buggy a Tamiya + getting a CNC machine at home so I can make replacement parts for the out of production TRF buggies, and I'd like to make some upgrade parts for the TD2/TD4 as well.

• Like 9

Achievement

Easy! Winning the TC 20th Anniversary picture competition on the main site is without any doubt my main achievement of 2022. When I look at the prize, or just take a moment to enjoy the thought, I still can't quite believe it (by the way, thank you all once again). 

Honourable Mention

The extent to which I went to support my LHS. I could have gotten my Optima Mid sooner and for way cheaper had I ordered it online, but well over one year ago I decided to get it through my Kyosho friend to give him some business. I thought there was mutual respect, we had each other's phone number and during my visits we'd engage in nice talks, often discussing way more aspects of life than just RC. I enjoyed hanging out with him very much. He totally ripped me off with the Mid, surcharging my final price way over any possible understanding. Many were the explanations on why he'd have to charge me some 150 $ for shipping (!?!), none of them made even remote sense and it was just painful to hear and watch. At this point what to do... of course I bit the bullet and followed through with the purchase, but I was immensely saddened and quite disappointed by the behaviour of a person that I though would just be better than that. Anyway whatever, live and learn, but after such a noble cause that turned against me so badly at least I get a self- honourable mention in the end 🤣

Goal for 2023

My RC goal for 2023 is to enjoy every aspect of the Optima Mid: the build, running it, admiring it on the shelf, customizing it, everything. And overall , to keep a balanced approach to RC in order to maximize enjoyment and minimize frustration.

• Like 11
  • Sad 2

What a agreat thread @lsear2905 (If you are down Bayside over the summer just shout. It would be great to actually drive with a likeminded RC fan).

Achievement:
Much less than I had hoped due to so much going on with family. But, my first ever full RC build was only in 2021 and this year I managed a few builds, all of which were customised to varying degrees.

Plaque Jimny 02

Army-200

JumboVan

Ford

Honourable mention:
This community who have provided inspiration, guidance, challenge, laughs and support during a crappy year. Special thanks to @Kol__ for checking-in when things were at their worst.

Goal:
More builds! I would love to finish a few stagnated projects, build some of the NIB kits that have accumulated and get stuck in to more custom projects. I would be great to do a car a month but I reckon 6 in the year ahead is more likely! Would also really like to dust off my 3D design skills and do some custom parts design and printing.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I think this is a great positive idea for a thread. 

Regardless of my own achievements (or not) though I'd first echo @Kol__'s words (and thanks). RC for me in 2022 has been driven by this place and my son, so, like most things in life, it's about people. 

Achievement

I have only been back in this hobby since October '21 so my achievements are tiny, but I have enjoyed modifying the modest DT-03 with shock tower bracing and carbon suspension mounts, to the point that we still haven't broken one since. I'm not sure I'd have got that out of a chassis that didn't come with the same flaws! 

Honourable Mention

I made a DT-03 ice cream van. Bodywork, putty and homemade decals were all a first. 

I think I'd like to find a way to enjoy the driving with others. I struggle to see myself making anything regular, but I'd like to give racing a go, or some other kind of meet up. 

• Like 7

Achievement:

I ventured into Yahoo Japan auctions with quite favorable results.  Yes, despite living here I am very late to the party.  I used to live on Ebay in the early 2000's for RC cars and parts.  My experience then was hit-or-miss and you really had to watch carefully or ask the seller a ton of questions when photos didn't give the entire story.  As I am reaching the limit of what I would want to buy at the LHS here and the post-covid trend of waiting forever for model releases, I decided to have a peek at Yahoo Japan auctions and see what all the fuss was about.  I've purchased 3 cars so far.  One was pretty much as-advertised and I got it for a decent price.  The other two are absolute gems.  Photos didn't do them justice and when the box arrived and I nervously opened it, I was just amazed at the condition, paint, attention to detail like addition of shims and additional hop-up parts already there that weren't mentioned in the auction listing.  

2023 Goals:

I hope to have continued success on yahoo auctions for starters.  But more importantly, I hope to improve my skills in building, painting and modifying my cars based on the wealth of knowledge and talent we have available here at TC.  

• Like 8

Achievement(s):

I know it seems negligible, but probably getting a 3D printer, and maybe learning to solder. Both of these have progressed me quite far (in RC) over the course of a year. Still working my way around with CAD, but I’ll get there eventually.

Also, my CC-02 build. Freaking love the car!!!

Honorable Mention(s):

The community here on TamiyaClub. I know I’m probably reiterating a good portion of others’ posts, but I don’t really care. You guys absolutely rock with your knowledge, quick-wittedness, humor, and just blunt explanations that my five-year-old brain can actually comprehend. Thank you all for being so patient, kind, and supporting over the course of the 2022 year, as well as way back when, when I still had my @Tamiya_Cars_4_Life account. When I became a member of this hobby (with my first car, the DT03) and had no clue as to what a pinion gear was, or even what “teeth count” meant, but you all taught me, regardless of my density and hardheadedness Thank you all so much for being mentors of the majority of my knowledge. :)

Goal for 2023:

My main goal for the 2023 year is to spread this amazing hobby to my family, friends, neighbors. I’ll try to get more people involved- especially those of a younger generation such as myself. A kid with a Tamiya equals a kid spending less time on TikTok!! :lol:

Also, scrape and repaint my TL-01 Stadium Raider body. This time with PATIENCE. ;)

On the subject of painting, I’ll be painting my CC-02 Ford Bronco once it gets a little warmer around here. I seriously can’t wait.

• Like 9

2022 Achievement:

I actually started a new job in january of 2022... but that isn't tamiya...  I did get my Kenworth W900 and gooseneck trailer built.  In time for the model boat regatta i was making it for, and it and the Dumas Wellcraft Scarab it was built to haul won Best of Show and 1st place for Pleasure Craft at that regatta.

Honorable Mention(s):

1) The Kenworth K100 single axle day cab and its trailers.  I think they are more fun than the other truck, but they aren't finished yet. 2) the new job.  my disposable income is considerably higher now because of it, and i am happily spending it on the hobby.  without it, the new toys would not have been possible.

Goal(s) for 2023:

1) finish the day cab and trailers.  2) finish the Proteus submarine.  3) get enough done on the Type II u-boat to run it at the 2023 regatta.  4) continue to have fun in the hobby.

• Like 7

2022 Acheivement: My first try at weathering.   

My 2023 goal will be to finish my multiple builds already in the shop before I buy something else for a "new" project.  :D

WPL C44 6 large.jpg

WPL C44 5 large.jpg

• Like 11

Achievement:  Blitzer Beetle 4WS + 4WD TT-02B. This one was the real challenge of the year.  Issues included getting the 4WS geometry to work with second servo, shortening the wheelbase to match Sand Scorcher wheelbase, higher ground clearance, and finding a solution to mount the abs Beetle hard body to the chassis.   This was a big money pit with 2 TT-02B kits and took 10 months end to end, but great sense of accomplishment when finished.

CF3EC767-85B1-45B2-83D6-F79C24C3FB84.jpeg.b78e2b09cadb3722d64a1f0c3ff061f4.jpeg

C991FA10-2CBA-44A0-A8B3-5EC175D1B20C.jpeg.591bb1d490747a45b748d13d54a17f38.jpeg

Also meeting a lot of great people here on Tamiya Club forums 🤗

Honorable Mentions:  Reconditioning the Manta Ray, Madcap and Mini Street Hornet   Got a chance to make my own versions of these classics

A027843B-F938-4F6E-A394-3BFAAF3AFC47.jpeg.8fda1221a5b89e64db51f9e8138f4b9d.jpeg

B403FEB2-7A77-4B08-AFFF-1AB4CD05178E.jpeg.b01ecc89d9258ee9371ccd21a72045a0.jpeg

My goal for 2023:  Complete partial builds, get a 3D printer / design parts, 2022 Astute TD2

• Like 7

2022 Achievement:

Switching focus from live to work, to work to live.

Completing mine & my 11yo sons' matching XRAY XB8E's. (My sons' orange one has an after market body)

These have been a long time in the making/rebuilding. Finally ready for the track. B)

image.thumb.jpeg.3df0c5540b2439d901105ee7414ac33b.jpeg

Honorable Mention:

Picking up 15 pairs of brand new Proline 1/8th buggy tyres for $5.00 pair. :ph34r:

Goal for 2023:

Racing with my son (1/8th locally & hopefully travel to get in some 1/10th), chipping away at stalled projects/resto's, some bashing out bush & generally just enjoying the hobby & having some fun.

• Like 9

Achievement - 

Probably rebuilding my, now 15yr old, Dark Impact, doing a vid on the rear diff mod and the motor cooling fan mod (been on the , to do list, for around 6 years...).

Honorable Mention -

Probably, my eldest daughter coming racing with me, and competing at a big Scottish event. I thought she'd have been a bit worried with the size of the meeting, but said to me "Just more people to beat, hey dad" , love this 😁

Also, the usual suspects @Kevin_Mc and @neowhizz for advice and RC chat (although, nipped my ear enough, for me to buy an M05 for some 2d racing....😳🤦‍♂️) .

Goals for 2023- 

I could probably cut and paste , the list from the past few years on this topic. I used to think a year was a long time, but look at your watch, and its Christmas, then it's, half past summer, then all of a sudden, its a quarter to Christmas!! 😳🤦‍♂️

RC may take a bit of a back seat tbh, I'll goto the club with my daughter and run what we have, but doubt I'll be doing any builds or projects, (he says, with 2 X nib DT03's sat waiting to be built, one to be a speed run car, so needing parts, even before its out the wrapper!).

Want to get the 1:1 project on the road, with IC looking to be a dirty word over the next decade, and the price of fuel not likely to get cheaper, I really need it back on the road ASAP.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Kol__ said:

fGJJJmB.jpeg

TwUFnde.jpeg

1o6Udcl.jpeg

Great cars @Kol__ .  All 3 are great approaches the the box art design.  

Same here, the silver lining of the pandemic is it brought me back to Tamiya after a long hiatus 🤗🤗

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frankster said:

Great cars @Kol__ .  All 3 are great approaches the the box art design

Thanks👍🍻 Same goes for yours mate, I followed the other two great builds, but is there a build thread for that awesome Hornet mini? I must've missed that one😳

• Like 1

Proudest Achievement

My proudest achievement this year was to acknowledge how good the hobby did for me, and taking time to enjoy enjoy it,  I came back to RC during the pandemic (2020) after a 20 year hiatus, but 2022 has been the year where I have finished the most projects, painting bodies, finishing new builds, and I even started an instagram profile for RC (@rcgarage_wallace), to keep track of all other great users out there as well as to show what Im doing.

Honorable Mention

My honorable mention is how I have worked towards being more patient and learning how to do new things in regards to painting and finishing bodies (I really hate painting and detailing, decals give me anxiety.... :D)

Objectives for 2023

In 2023 I plan to participate in a local rally championship in my home city, my first try at competition, I have been to several rally days and the people are great, very helpful and fun to hang around, so I expect to enjoy 2023 a lot!!

I also want to take the opportunity to thank all of the users here at Tamiyaclub for their amazing contributions, it is very helpful to read all of the posts and get help from so many people around the world, I really enjoy reading you and looking at your pics, you really brighten my days!! I hope that 2023 brings a lot more RCing for all of us!

• Like 8

Achievement:

Retaining my champion status at the annual Asylum Teapot Races and setting a new personal best time with my latest RWD 4WS M-03 racing teapot. 

2022-06-16_02-34-08

(I initially won the title with the one on the right, and retained it this year with the one on the left.)

Honourable mention:

I organised my first teapot racing event in the form of a hillclimb. I couldn't very well race in the event I was organising, but I did take the constructors' title, having built the winning teapot. 

2022-08-31_10-38-12

2023 goal:

To have Team Yorkshire Tea dominate the podium at next year's teapot races with a 1-2-3! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

Thanks👍🍻 Same goes for yours mate, I followed the other two great builds, but is there a build thread for that awesome Hornet mini? I must've missed that one😳

No build thread mate. The chassis was all built and I only did the body, wheels / tires and driver.  Here are some more photos

F6C4D312-BE7A-473B-84FE-F3259F47F305.jpeg.fddb5ccbfcc87d6e617d9dd4b33f5387.jpeg

0A999851-21D7-41E0-BECA-A1B667B0C8C9.jpeg.26c183cc59125b1460323c7752fed421.jpeg

46F64F17-D8A9-4305-B7F7-3EEE5BD60E68.jpeg.10ba793331d6e1e4699efefba0bf55fb.jpeg

D326646A-F360-4868-98EC-4D4DA17A9DFB.jpeg.049ff8fe66afb3ddcc58adbfb7d8b0f1.jpeg

• Like 7