lsear2905

What's your proudest 2022 RC achievement, and what's your 2023 RC goal?

My biggest achievement of 2022 was landing a part-time writing job for The Autopian. I've managed to work in one article about RC vehicles, and there will be more to come. As a cool side-note, Peter Vieira of RC Car Action fame also works there, behind the scenes doing social media stuff, and we're not the only RC nuts around.

As for 2023? I'm not setting any goals, making any resolutions, or having any expectations of any kind. I'm taking a more holistic approach to my hobbies these days anyway, so instead of trying to achieve a goal, I'm just performing tasks: paint this, apply decals to that, assemble this gearbox, etc. It takes all the pressure off, and lets me enjoy what I'm doing in the moment instead of trying to push something to completion. If I finish something, great; I'll just move on to the next thing. If not, there's always tomorrow, or next month, or next year.

• Like 7

I would like to say the proudest RC-achievement came in two parts and is related to the Postal Racing series.. The first was when I managed to do 39 laps with the Golf in the late summer and get on the podium for the first time. When I knacked the 40 laps mark in the last round with the bargain 2. hand XV-01 Lancia I was so happy and that was the peak of my RC -hobby this year. 

For 2023 I would like to involve the kids more and restore my Nikko Dictator. Actually it is working apart from cracked wheel adapters on all four corners. This afternoon me and my son went out for a bash with the Thunder Dragon and the 2. hand Terra Scorcher. We had a lovely time on dry ice with gravel and sand upon. We want more Moments like that. 

• Like 10

practically i derived a lot of pleasure from problem solving issues with the TD4 and pushing the limits of what the DT02 could be. But in reality it was allowing myself to go through the cycle of build and sell, build and sell….. without guilt or regret. The grace i gave myself to accept it as part of my coping with a difficult year was meaningful.

For 2023 I want to build what I want, when I want, If i want. With no end goal or pressure, to simply build for the enjoyment of it and for the good it does me.

I wish the same for you all.

• Like 14

Thanks everyone for contributing - I think it's fantastic how such an eclectic group have such varied and interesting achievements and plans!

• Like 6

Proudest RC achievement: was finishing my MST-CFX to the spec I wanted. Constantly improving the suspension and did some custom work on it as well. Installed every usable hop-up I've seen in the market and every time I would add an upgrade, I thought it was the last piece until I see another one to add :lol:. I have changed the shocks three times in two years and the last set (KYX 90mm) in 2022 was the best in my opinion which is permanently installed up to now and have no plans of replacing anymore. Performance and driving enjoyment exceeded my expectations of this little fella. I'm really glad I went with a non-Tamiya crawler/trail kit as it's more fun to build, more compatibility part5s with other brands & aftermarket and better performance overall by a mile compared to a CC-02 (no pun intended).

3ocSqiHl.jpg

G0ilEmhl.jpg

Honorable mention(s): is the re-build of my 26 years old FF-01. 

y8RJa4Zl.jpg

From a shelf-queen for almost 2 decades to a runner.

wtiowYMl.jpg

CC-01 - installed the last pieces of upgrades (under-chassis skid plates) and totally done.

M6K9PtOl.jpg

1WMcZ27l.jpg

RC goal for 2023 is really simple.

Add a Kyosho Turbo Scorpion

Kyosho Turbo Scorpion 2WD Kit 30616

and a proper 4WD shaft-driven touring car which is an Xpress AT1 .

Xpress-Arrow-AT1-Competition-Shaft-Drive-Touring-Car-Kit-02.jpg

XpressArrowAT1-5.jpg

• Like 11

Proudest achievement:

gained enough CAD and 3D printing skills to create a mid-motor MF-01X, which is something I wanted to do since it was released.

received_1372599383510465.thumb.jpeg.233dc0c32aa0b1b4d99c5d426a57e525.jpeg

Honorable mention:

Sucessfully designed and raced my 3D printed rally chassis, which served as a testbed for designs and materials for the MF-01X project

received_3072698896370358.thumb.jpeg.2597d51efb0e21efbf27e96a676d5d42.jpeg

2023 goals

finally getting back to racing. Past few years were struck both by covid restrictions and personal reasons, which meant I couldn't attend as many races I'd wish. Hopefully, next year's gonna be better.

I want also continue with designing and 3D printing, improving old designs, creating new ones and explore new 3D printing techniques and materials.

Oh, and getting an Xpress AT1 or AT1S, mentioned by @Nicadraus would be nice :)

• Like 12

Achievement: Getting back into the hobby after a two decade absence. Getting my 10yro son involved and assisting with him with a re-release Blackfoot build. 

2023 Goal: Building out a TA03R or F TRF. Getting to Euro Truck race or two...

• Like 6

Achievement: actually building something for a change! I seem to only find the time to buy, not build, so was really pleased that I made some time before Xmas to build two TA04 project cars, a TRF and a R-S. Both very satisfying projects, in particular the TRF as the design and engineering seem very elegant to me, which is the aspect of the hobby I appreciate the most. 😊

Goal for this year: cut out the buying, do more building (lots of projects ready to go), and reduce the size of my collection by selling some of what I build. 👍

• Like 6

What a great positive thread

Like @Honza I would say working up 3D design and printing skills, resulting the ability to make parts for cars. This meant I could achieve a goal I'd had for a while and create my 1/12 Jurassic Park Jeep with 3D printed wheels, doors, body mounts and a space to mean the MF01x can take even more wheelbases.

ZuOwVPK.jpg

tJ6huGq.jpg

Honorable mention:

Being able to find a little time to do RC when everyone else has gone to bed. I am limited to about two hours of free time a day (8 pm - 10 pm) and I've yet to watch TV, most nights just tinker with something before doing the dishes, cooking and making the toddler's food and cleaning up the kitchen.

Goals for 2023:

Buy no more kits or new kits unless it's a cheaper QD model I can use for spares. I've got enough cars! Tinkering, upgrading and fixing are enough fun for me. If I sell a few I could change my mind. Tidy up after myself. Drive more and see if little Felix (who will be almost two by the end of next year) might be interested in chasing them or pressing "go". He's already got quite a collection.

• Like 5

Well, I didn't even get my first ever Tamiya or indeed proper RC car until this year! So is that an achievement? 

I think I've read pretty much every thread and review available in English (and some not) for each model I've bought (TT02, TT02 Type S and DF-03), watched you tube reviews/builds etc. 

I've now become a global importer, buying parts from Japan, China, Hon Kong, Germany and the Netherlands.

• Like 7

Achievement:

Starting this hobby in 2021 and not getting burned out in 2022.

Honourable Mention:

Enjoing this hobby with both my sons (3yo and 6yo) and in doing so spending quality time with them outside.

My goals for 2023:

- Keeping the 6yo's fleet up and running (The Grasshopper, Stadium Blitzer and GF-01)

- Selling off some of the unused cars for a fair price (Stadium Raider and Baja King)

- Completing a set of shelfers for my office (The Grasshopper and The Frog)

- Learn the 3yo how to drive a car alone and getting him his first own car when he turns 4yo

- Turning the Monster Racer and Madcap into reliable light runners and decent enough shelfers

- And last but not least: enjoy the hobby!

• Like 8

Highlight of 2022

Optima Mid !

IMG-1928.jpg

IMG-1438.jpg

IMG-1515.jpg

Airbrush first attempt 

IMG-8749.jpg

IMG-8752.jpg

Airbrush is hard

Wet method of stciker application

IMG_5816.jpg

The backend of these needed the wet method. Failed to get it done in 2021 using non wet method. Stickers application skill level up :-)

CC02 boredom build

335F0C09-89F2-4ED1-8A33-02C373BBB386-195

01AA9EE0-8D6A-4776-98C7-CB36155DE865-195

06F7D2F4-D063-46E1-8032-EA15E3DAD0DE-195

8777EE3F-4AAD-4C66-AC1F-369457ED755E-195

Back to Perth for the holidays getting bored so went to local hobby shop & picker up a Landrover CC02. Surprised by how good the body looked.

• Like 7

I started designing my own wheels last year and 3D printing them. Initially was just for fun when I was out of work at the time, but when I looked at the wheels on the market I realise there's not a huge range of styles. It's either 5-spoke, classic or 'drift' rims mostly. Had a go at selling my STL files on Cults3D but their site has so few categories that your stuff gets buried under tons of ****, so it's been slim pickings. I then considered printing the rims to sell and spent most of the year churning out all these test models:
IMG_20230107_121402.jpg.d07d0e74cbe6e50e72c4572e8d18a7c7.jpg

Problem with printing in filament is you have to balance detail with time and so each rim was taking around 4-7 hours depending on the design, so that's not ideal. If I reduce the time I end up with more visible layer lines and I really want decent quality. Ended up having a few professionally printed in resin to see how they'd hold up to being given some punishment on a car and it worked out well, so I picked up a resin printer a few months back and I've been experimenting with that. It's allowed me to make my wheels more detailed and also print stuff that wouldn't have turned out as well in filament.

IMG_20230107_115915.jpg.5eedab86579fb8d84bbfe849c0560f18.jpgIMG_20230107_120052.jpg.9d91a9fe98162ca2ffb755e8035fd6f2.jpgIMG_20230107_120217.jpg.6681f23b9ae1e71bbb0680dc94a839cb.jpg

I do lose the ability to have the wheels pre-coloured and also being able to switch filaments to do multi-colour right out of the box, but the quality level is worth the tradeoff. Plus a painted finish will look so much more professional. You can see the differences here between the same models:

IMG_20230107_121625.jpg.6d005138665c70719b0d478a9b9d60da.jpgIMG_20230107_121659.jpg.fd4158c488787863c019d826b4dca1c6.jpg

Counted the other day and I'm somewhere near 110 designs. The goal this year is to start something Etsy shop or similar and start trying to make some extra cash, I'm saving for a mortgage deposit, and sell rims and STLs there. My stuff is a mixture of rims loosely based on real life stuff, especially older JDM rims which look awesome, and a lot of stuff just made off the top of my head.

Fuchs.png.3b7004820d0ee7ed9bfa8e683651cef1.pngCentrepiece.png.9b5009a886d6555151e574b6794bc65f.png5split.png.d19273a5a91938a94c3776bc5764bbfa.png

Reactor.png.475eb92ab59d2b44e94cd1818b720e33.pngZelda.png.d87cdbe9d98a02a607413b554703dd61.pngKyoho_Ame.png.e6dfbabc7c54adb55d90d5ba00942616.png

• Like 12

Good thread. 2022 achievement? None really. I'm never really satisfied with anything I do. 2023? Keep plugging away at finishing the cars in my collection and hopefully complete a project I'm happy enough with not to tear apart in two weeks. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Good thread. 2022 achievement? None really. I'm never really satisfied with anything I do. 2023? Keep plugging away at finishing the cars in my collection and hopefully complete a project I'm happy enough with not to tear apart in two weeks. 

Is this a perfectionist trait? Which translates to excessive high standards and a hard, critical review of accomplishments?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mark_McQ said:

Problem with printing in filament is you have to balance detail with time and so each rim was taking around 4-7 hours depending on the design, so that's not ideal. If I reduce the time I end up with more visible layer lines and I really want decent quality. Ended up having a few professionally printed in resin to see how they'd hold up to being given some punishment on a car and it worked out well, so I picked up a resin printer a few months back and I've been experimenting with that. It's allowed me to make my wheels more detailed and also print stuff that wouldn't have turned out as well in filament.

Awesome, the difference witht the resin is night and day mate!👍 Is the resin dyable with Ritt dye?

35 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Is this a perfectionist trait?

No, I don't think so. I never judge other's or their work that way. I just have low (read: zero) self esteem or self-confidence. I still keep trying though as should everybody else if they can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

No, I don't think so. I never judge other's or their work that way. I just have low (read: zero) self esteem or self-confidence. I still keep trying though as should everybody else if they can.

Well I never would have thought that buddy, with the way you carry yourself on the forum. A knowledgeable, well respected, helpful and skilled chap who always seems happy to contribute 👍

Also...

0k0BrKj.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Awesome, the difference witht the resin is night and day mate!👍 Is the resin dyable with Ritt dye?

I've seen some examples out there of people experimenting with dying the resin and the results looked good. Might be something I try.

• Like 1

After many years of casually running my EVO I’ve upgraded my game with a TRF511. It is an amazing buggy that still puts up yikes at my local track to win. I just need to become a better driver.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2023 at 4:09 PM, 94SRUNNER said:

Achievement: Getting back into the hobby after a two decade absence. Getting my 10yro son involved and assisting with him with a re-release Blackfoot build. 

Very similar to me with my 9 year old, a Midnight Pumpkin and a 15 year absence.

Goal is just to keep exploring and enjoying where our hobby has gone while I've been away!

• Like 2

I made carbon chassis for the ThunderShot family buggies in 2022 and the demand was surprisingly  overwhelming. What started as little side project for my own tuning FireDragon, became a popular tuning option and I am glad, it made so many enthusiasts happy around the globe.

At the end of the year, I bought my first crawler, a CR-01. Together with friends, I want to use it to climb a mountain in the Alps this summer. We will see how this turns out. I hope it will be a lot of fun.

• Like 9

Great thread, wonderful to see all the completed projects and future plans...lots to look forward to :)

My best of 2022 was this TA03-RS, mainly because I made an early decision on the paint scheme and livery, then built the chassis with as much red as possible to match. I managed to find a blueprint of the actual race car online and then enlisted the help of Nathaneal at MCI to create the 1/10 scale sticker sheet for me. I was chuffed to bits with how it turned out...it's actually technically unfinished as I'm going to take it to full carbon...I've got the chassis plates and the elusive K Parts, I just need to find a J Parts tree in black now :ph34r:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

My honourable mention goes to my various bits-a-build projects, my idiot idea to recreate vintage touring car chassis by buying all the bits and assembling them entirely from parts. It's stupid, illogical and expensive, but I love it. In 2022 I put together heavily hopped up versions of the TA04-TRF (Audi V8), TA04-R (Audi R8 LMS), FF03-R (Alfa 155) and TB Evo III (Skyline R32). In each case the chassis is done but the bodies are at various stages, with lots of work to do

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

My plans for 2022 are going to be:

• lots of stickering and painting of touring car bodies to finish off the projects listed above (and to hopefully continue to gradually improve with each one)
  • to have my first go at a full cockpit (for the Skyline)
  • to build four more ready-to-go bits-a-builds (Full carbon TA04-R Mondeo BTTC / Full carbon TA02-W Nissan 300ZX IMSA / Red-plated chassis M05 Mini Cooper Monte Carlo / TT02 Type S Nissan R390 GT1)
  • to always have a buggy and a charged battery in the boot of the car, so I can drive something more often and have more fun away from the wrenches and rattle cans :)
  • Like 9

15 hours ago, Juhunio said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

These two!  Wow! B)

I miss my TA-04R every time I see a post about it. 

• Thanks 1