Sign in to follow this  
Frog Jumper

Small puff of smoke at start up

Whenever I power up the CC02, there is a slight puff of electrical smoke that rises out of the motor.  It only happens after it’s been sitting powered off for a while, and once it’s puffed, it doesn’t do it anymore.  Motor is a Team Brood Trailbreaker 540 3 slot.  ESC is a 1080.  LiPo battery.

Is this “normal”?  Is my CC02 a ticking time bomb?  Will I be running around like Beavis chanting “Fire!  Fire!”???

Thanks!

Terry

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Will I be running around like Beavis chanting “Fire!  Fire!”???

Thanks!

Terry

No, more like beavers chanting "Water! Water!"

Maybe, MAYBE! there is some dust or debris inside doing some strange electriacal connection between poles when turning on. I would give it a clean with air pressure and/or light cleaning fluid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Collin said:

No, more like beavers chanting "Water! Water!"

Maybe, MAYBE! there is some dust or debris inside doing some strange electriacal connection between poles when turning on. I would give it a clean with air pressure and/or light cleaning fluid.

This would also be my guess. I've had this in the past too. Could be a bit of debris, some imperfections in the brushes/com etc. I would say though, if it does continue to happen after cleaning, checking etc then the usable lifespan of the motor may be compromised. As we all know, once the magic smoke starts escaping, things tend to stop working...

Do you live in a cold place were heaters is needed? If yes, you will experience a certain type of heater giving off smoke after being off for the whole summer, or in my case, actually flames. So what I suspect is a bit of dust settled on the brushes, and when you power the ESC on, it makes a little sound, which is actually made by moving the motor a little, that power causes the dust to burn thus the smoke.

Hmmm.  I bet its some bearing oil burning off???  It’s a $15 crawler motor.  If it dies, I’ll get another.  I guess I’m glad to hear that my car isn’t going to explode one day in the trail.

Thanks!