ThunderDragonCy

Installing servo plug without crimping tool?

I have at some point cut the plug off a servo I want to use and I don't have a crimping tool or anything like the Internet says I need to fix a new plug on. 

Is there any way of installing a new plug if I don't have the tools? I can solder, and I have needle nose pliers and cable strippers, but not crimpers

If you have a plug with wires coming off it you can totally just solder the servo wires to the plug wires no issue.

• Like 2

Pliers works fine, I never use crimpers for servo plugs. 

Just fold the tabs over the copper wire overlapping; quick flow of solder then fold the grip tabs over the wire insulation. 

• Like 2

You can, but it will be pretty tricky to solder onto the receiver pins unless you are willing to open  it up.

Crimping tools and plug sets are pretty cheap and can be had on Amazon if you want to go that route.  It's a worthy investment.  

• Like 1

I'd definitely pick up a crimping tool. Soldering is possible but you've got to make the solder so tiny so that each plug fits back into the housing. Even with crimping I've sometimes found them tight to get back in.

And the other plus is time. It takes seconds to crimp rather than warming up a soldering iron. I now shorten the servo wires on all my builds.

I also once managed to get two wires onto each plug by crimping:

IqFkxD3.jpg

pjIrd9J.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you snap the point off of an X-Acto blade, it works well as a jabbin’ tool to crimp those little ******s in a pinch. It’s much easier to form the connector with small pliers, then finish with the blade.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I don't really want to get a crimping kit. This is the only time I have ever needed some and I could buy a new servo for the same money. Anyway, looks like I have it sorted. One of my club mates is helping me out for a few beers. Sorted! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

One of my club mates is helping me out for a few beers.

A trade forged with the nectar of the gods, always a winner👏🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 2