Simon1966

Truck wiring loom tips

40 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Loom tape too bulky IMHO - why not consider spiral wrap ?

Thanks - do you have a link to the size I’d require?

A lot of people drill a hole in the crossmember’s of the chassis prior to assembly to run them a bit neater.

For my Knight Hauler I had an IKEA  bedside light that no longer worked so I cut the outside black sleeve off the cable. It’s stiff enough to hold its shape still after it’s been slit. Then just a case of slipping it over the Truck wires. Cost me stuff all which was a bonus.

ABA6ABAC-A7B0-43AE-9A77-7F2D8F8AE332.jpg

A9EB6941-D259-472B-9577-A67C17D9EF12.jpg 

8EDB3D52-22BA-4655-AA87-62BBCB62F609.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

A lot of people drill a hole in the crossmember’s of the chassis prior to assembly to run them a bit neater.

For my Knight Hauler I had an IKEA  bedside light that no longer worked so I cut the outside black sleeve off the cable. It’s stiff enough to hold its shape still after it’s been slit. Then just a case of slipping it over the Truck wires. Cost me stuff all which was a bonus.

ABA6ABAC-A7B0-43AE-9A77-7F2D8F8AE332.jpg

A9EB6941-D259-472B-9577-A67C17D9EF12.jpg 

8EDB3D52-22BA-4655-AA87-62BBCB62F609.jpg

Thanks - looks a nice neat build.

I’ve just bought the Tamiya Scania R620 as a first build just want to make it look as best as I can. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Simon1966 said:

I’ve just bought the Tamiya Scania R620 as a first build just want to make it look as best as I can. 

Nice 👍🏻 The trucks are great for the build experience, enjoy it. 

• Thanks 1

I used spiral wrap on mine.  The smaller sizes work better as the wires are small and you don't want to add too much bulk.  I also drilled the crossmembers as others have suggested to keep the wires out of the way.

Spiral wrap is cheap and reasonably easy to work with, if a bit fiddly.  That said, others here have used some kind of stretchy sheath (not sure what it's called or where to get it) and I must admit it looks better than spiral wrap when fitted and probably adds less overall bulk.

Another issue is the wires themselves being too long, unless you have a long truck you'll end up with lots of spare wire under the cab.  If you want to make it super-tidy, you can buy a special crimping tool and new terminals to get the wires just were you like them - but leave this until you're absolutely sure you've got the installation right where you want it.  It's fiddly work but worth it when you get a very neat installation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1