Quincy

Quincy`s CR-01

Crawlers are normally not my favourite RC cars, but they still have a special kind of fascination for me. It must have been in 2020 when I bought the Tamiya CR-01 chassis with Unimog 406 body. A lot of time has passed since then, during which I have been looking for tuning parts. I didn't want to start the build until I had all the parts, because I didn't want to disassemble the chassis for ten times.

spacer.png

I also used the time in between to have many of the silver hop-up parts anodised in black to give it a clean look.

spacer.png

After I came across the following article in an old Tamiya magazine from 1983, it was clear that I finally had to realise my crawler project.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The assembly starts with the frame, I used the Tamiya mechanism deck and a carbon battery holder. I am especially happy to still got the original Tamiya aluminium side frames.

spacer.png

When assembling the two axles, I also avoided the plastic parts of the kit, instead I used a solid metal housing with the reinforced axles from Tamiya.

spacer.png

To get a little more ground clearance, I installed portal axles from 3 Racing. But not without anodising them black and fitting them with ball bearings first.

spacer.png

spacer.png

First parts are done, stay tuned for more....

• Like 12

Very cool. Was it easy to anodize the parts? I'd love to turn some blue hop-up parts to black.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 5:30 AM, Rally! said:

Very cool. Was it easy to anodize the parts? I'd love to turn some blue hop-up parts to black.

I can't tell you because I haven't done it myself. I hired a professional company to do it. The old anodised layer has to be removed first before a new one is applied. It is important to protect the threads from the acid so that you can still use them afterwards.

• Like 2

And there we go...

The next step was to complete the axles. My CR-01 is to have a 4WS steering system, and because of the extra weight, the reinforced steering axles were installed.

spacer.png

Then I continued with the dampers. Tamiya specifies the TXT tuning shocks as an hop-up option for the CR-01 chassis. Even though I am not convinced of the function of the reservoir, I chose this one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The next step took me several days. Initially I wanted to install the short barrel springs. However, with these there is hardly any spring compression left. So I switched to the stock springs. Unfortunately, these are also coated white. Because of my colour concept, I had to change this and spent days of sanding, bating and polishing.

spacer.png

Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the assembly of the gearbox. Here I used an aluminium differential housing in combination with the Tamiya heat sink. All parts are also anodised in black. For the motor I chose a Hobbywing Fusion Pro with integrated ESC.

And here is the current status after the wiring is completed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

That looks fantastic! What´s your plan for the bodyshell/livery?

And I remember so well the article from Tamiya Germany with the Hilux climbing up the Großglockner!:wub:

Epic!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 10:08 PM, ruebiracer said:

That looks fantastic! What´s your plan for the bodyshell/livery?

And I remember so well the article from Tamiya Germany with the Hilux climbing up the Großglockner!:wub:

Epic!

I will do the Unimog body in an used look. It is almost done, just have to fit the body posts.

• Thanks 1

Very cool, love my CR01.  That has to be the most hopped up, high $ CR01 in the world :)  Mine's pretty much all stock and have put a lot of miles on it with nothing broken other than a few twisted driveshafts.  Good work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, all that carbon fibre, silver and black makes for a very special looking chassis. Makes me feel like I desecrated mine monsterizing it.

I've a few hop-ups for one of my NIB CR-01s but it won't be on this scale!

• Thanks 1

So want to see more on this.

I have some parts too and was so close to ordering a CR-01 Unimog, but someone bought the last set of decently priced shocks I was after!

The last step was to mount the wheels and adjust the body. This is attached with magnetic holders avoiding drilling holes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The original wheels of the CR-01 are very small, so I changed to larger crawler wheels. These also guarantee additional ground clearance.

spacer.png

Of course, matching number plates must not be missing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The windows are still clear, because I will eventually add a cockpit. But for the moment, the CR-01 is ready for its first drive!

• Like 9